Stupid SUV's

Sure. You strike a balance between your relative needs (or in some cases you're relatives' needs ;) ). Clearly there is A market for pickup trucks and always has been; clearly they have always served a need. What we're talking about here is degree; the market for such vehicles has exploded in recent years, and it's equally clearly not because the public suddenly started needing to move more stuff; a significant portion of that increase is the same reason for this shift from normal cars to SUVs: because the advertiser told them to.

Just seems to me there are a lot of people who never stop to think "wait -- why am I doing this again?"

Many, if they did, would have to answer, "oh yeah-- so I can haul an asteroid up that dusty hill with my cowboy hat on" -- as they hit the button on their automatic garage door opener and pull into their garage in Shaker Heights.

Some people just like a truck. If they are willing to pay for it, and pay for the gasoline, why is it stupid to follow their personal preferences?

I didn't say it was 'stupid'. I'm saying it's gullible. I'm saying there are a whole lot of people buying things not because they do something useful but because they're told to.

And the whole "...haul an asteroid up that dusty hill with my cowboy hat on" is simply nonsense. I doubt most owners come anywhere near the towing capacity of their pickups. But if I have to haul bales for my straw bale garden, wood for my fireplace & firepit, my dogs after they have played in the river & mud, I would prefer a pickup truck. None of that involves an asteroid, and I rarely wear anything resembling a cowboy hat.

You prolly don't live in Shaker Heights either. It's just illustration. And Asteroid-Cowboy man is based on the ads. I'm satirizing them, as I find that more satisfying than buying their spiel.

What on EARTH makes you think they like trucks because they're TOLD to?

What the hell is wrong with you that you think the entire world that prefers a pickup over a prius is *gullible*?

Are people who like Arabs instead of Thoroughbreds idiots as well?

You're an ignorant elitist. Yuck.

Some people just like a truck. If they are willing to pay for it, and pay for the gasoline, why is it stupid to follow their personal preferences?

I didn't say it was 'stupid'. I'm saying it's gullible. I'm saying there are a whole lot of people buying things not because they do something useful but because they're told to.

And the whole "...haul an asteroid up that dusty hill with my cowboy hat on" is simply nonsense. I doubt most owners come anywhere near the towing capacity of their pickups. But if I have to haul bales for my straw bale garden, wood for my fireplace & firepit, my dogs after they have played in the river & mud, I would prefer a pickup truck. None of that involves an asteroid, and I rarely wear anything resembling a cowboy hat.

You prolly don't live in Shaker Heights either. It's just illustration. And Asteroid-Cowboy man is based on the ads. I'm satirizing them, as I find that more satisfying than buying their spiel.

What on EARTH makes you think they like trucks because they're TOLD to?

What the hell is wrong with you that you think the entire world that prefers a pickup over a prius is *gullible*?

Are people who like Arabs instead of Thoroughbreds idiots as well?

You're an ignorant elitist. Yuck.

Again, I didn't say anyone was "idiots". You did. Along with 'ignorant elitist' and whatever other poo tantrum you fling when a point doesn't go your way.

For that matter I didn't say they "like" their trucks. I don't even know that, and I doubt it's the case anyway. I just don't think they've thought it through.

You have a nice day though dear. :smiliehug:

Is there any vehicle more conspicuously stupid than an SUV?

SUV’s (and “crossovers”) are big, heavy, and inefficient. They handle terribly, don’t stop very well, and are markedly less comfortable than cars of comparable price and features. They require more and costlier maintenance, are more complex, and will ultimately cost much more in repairs and upkeep than a comparable sedan over the life of the vehicle. (Think tires, brakes, ball joints, wheel bearings, transfer cases, etc).

Most of the justifications for buying an SUV are preposterous. If there is a snowstorm that is so bad that a FWD car or RWD car with traction control and four good snow-tires can’t handle, then YOU SHOULDN’T BE OUT DRIVING AROUND IN IT. And the likelihood that such a storm will arise under conditions where you SIMPLY MUST drive around is approximately zero. The schools are closed, and/or you can work from home or call in sick. Police and Fire excepted.

Regardless of how much money you are budgeting for a new vehicle, THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A CAR THAT IS BETTER FOR THE SAME MONEY AS THE SUV YOU ARE CONSIDERING. It’s not for nothing that the Car Manufacturers are constantly pushing trucks and SUV’s – their profit margins are substantially higher on the trucks and SUV’s.

One of the worst features of SUV’s is the one that cause many women to favor them: You can see over the roofs of cars. But the fact that you can see over the roofs of cars means that YOU ARE BLOCKING THE VIEW OF CAR DRIVERS – for no reason other than your own self indulgence. How many parking lot accidents are caused by the fact that the driver of an AUTOMOBILE is completely blind to what’s coming because there are so many stinkin’ SUV’s blocking her view?

The car manufacturers have made great strides in recent years to reduce the 4WD penalty in fuel economy, but nothing they do can compensate for the fact that if you drive a 4WD/AWD vehicle you are carrying around 3-400 pounds of mechanical apparatus that you don’t need. Think of it as having Rush Limbaugh and Rosie O’Donnel in your back seat all the time. It affects not only fuel economy but tire and brake wear, and the load that is placed on the suspension, transmission, and engine – for the life of the car.

OK, if you live in an area that has a combination of a LOT OF snow for much of the year, and a lot of hills to negotiate, then maybe 4WD can be justified, and if the snowplows don’t know where your street is and you actually have to drive around in foot-deep snow for much of the year, then maybe an SUV can be justified, but for the rest of us, it is a stupid indulgence.

When I was growing up, most families got around with little trouble with rear-wheel drive Chevy’s and Ford’s that didn’t even have posi-traction. Amazing, isn’t it?

So don't buy one.

Personally I think my next everyday driver is going to be a Toyota FJ

toyota-fj-s-photo-484111-s-1280x782.jpg

I rented on for my vacation in Utah and fell in love with it

I love mine. It'll go damn near anywhere. Jack it up three inch's and put some bigger tires on it and it's true beast!!! Put the factory blower on it and it's down right nasty!

BTW, limpwristed douches:

"
Some observers and California officials seized on the announcement to criticize what they said is California’s business climate for high taxes and onerous regulations. But Toyota officials said the move to a Dallas suburb had nothing to do with cost-cutting and everything to do with fostering efficiency and collaboration. "

hahahaha

"...it claims the move is to increase efficiency by putting its headquarters where 75 percent of its vehicles are made— in the South. And, why pray tell, are 75 percent of their cars made in the South?"

Yeah, WHY? After all, southerners and republicans are just gullible dill holes who don't want to tax the shit out of the working man...hey now!

"...today, about 75% of the Toyota branded vehicles sold in the U.S. are built in America — many of them at plants in Texas, Mississippi and Kentucky."
By the way, Toyota peaced out of California, took thousands of jobs to Texas « Hot Air

I had a Ford Explorer in the late 90s. I liked it. It was a bit bulky but it served a purpose and filled a niche. If I wasn't so fond of my full sized pickup I'd get another SUV. I wouldn't get a "Smart Car" or a hybrid at this point.

I have loved all 5 of my SUVs but my needs downsized to a more sporty car, which I have had several of and love to drive. I like to sit HIGH or LOW in a car. I love to turn on a dime and whip in and out of traffic. Love that thrill.

The only time I hate driving my low to the road car, is when I am behind anything on wheels that isn't at least going the speed limit, or those I can't see over the top of or around. But hey....no big deal...I am going to be passing them the first chance I find. And that is going to be a rush for which I will be grateful. :thup: It's all good.

Right, and I noted it was just empirical evidence and don't profess to know what they 'need'; just saying they aren't being utilized.

And (further anecdotally) though I was only counting moving vehicles on the road, I also see an awful lot of big, large, very empty pickups on a mission to do nothing more complex than run to the grocery to pick up eggs. All of which simply suggests whatever reason drives much (much, not all) of the pickup sale market has nothing to do with practicality.

I'm also looking at the advertising-- the Marlboro Man driving along the edge of the cliff at sunset. Clearly "practicality" is not the sales angle. And sales angles are usually designed on what's effective.

Still haven't answered...How do you look DOWN into the bed of a pick up from your econo box car? For all you know the guy has 2x6's stacked to the rails.
What a fucken liar!

I don't owe you an answer; I'm ignoring you along with that other troll.

Why am I ignoring you?
How do you know whats in my SUV? And how the hell do you look down into the bed of a truck from a car in the first place? Your whole story sounds like bullshit. Unless of course you jacked up your Accord.:cuckoo:

I don't know (or care) what's in your SUV:
I don't need to look "down";
My story is not bullshit;
My vehicles (3) are not "jacked up"; and
I do not have an Accord.

0 for 5 with 5 strikeouts. That's what we call in baseball the "Golden Sombrero".

Adios.

Is this your admission that you are too stupid to take a position and defend it?

Still haven't answered...How do you look DOWN into the bed of a pick up from your econo box car? For all you know the guy has 2x6's stacked to the rails.
What a fucken liar!

I don't owe you an answer; I'm ignoring you along with that other troll.

Why am I ignoring you?
How do you know whats in my SUV? And how the hell do you look down into the bed of a truck from a car in the first place? Your whole story sounds like bullshit. Unless of course you jacked up your Accord.:cuckoo:

I don't know (or care) what's in your SUV:
I don't need to look "down";
My story is not bullshit;
My vehicles (3) are not "jacked up"; and
I do not have an Accord.

0 for 5 with 5 strikeouts. That's what we call in baseball the "Golden Sombrero".

Adios.

Is this your admission that you are too stupid to take a position and defend it?

She knows she got busted,and her position is indefensible.

I've never actually driven one, but we used to be driven between accomodation compounds and construction sites in the Gulf States in SUVs. Although they used to scream 'white people with money are sitting in here', the way-above-average air-con was invaluable under the merciless sun.

I drive an Audi A4.

I was raised on big American made cars, that's what we always had when I was growing up, they're what I learned to drive on. The last big car I had was a Mercury Grand Marquis. Worst damn car I've ever driven, uncomfortable, kids squished in the back seat, handled poorly, forget about driving in the snow. Ten years ago decided to get a new car, went with a Honda Pilot. Love the thing. Big enough to hold five adults, two dogs and all our crap. Best part was that ten years ago the kids were little enough to fight a lot of the time. The 2nd and 3rd row seats do a 60/40 split, so I could separate the kids out and still have room for stuff. And no, I don't have to remove the seats or anything, just fold them down. That feature has come in handy more times than I can count. Seats 8 very comfortably, I'm up high enough to see over most other vehicles but I'm not towering over them either. Car handles very well in snowy weather ... a real treat. Minivans were all the rage because they replaced station wagons. Minivans are gay, hate them, refuse to buy one. I"m glad they came out with SUVs. No law says you have to buy them ... nice to have the option though.

I was raised on big American made cars, that's what we always had when I was growing up, they're what I learned to drive on. The last big car I had was a Mercury Grand Marquis. Worst damn car I've ever driven, uncomfortable, kids squished in the back seat, handled poorly, forget about driving in the snow. Ten years ago decided to get a new car, went with a Honda Pilot. Love the thing. Big enough to hold five adults, two dogs and all our crap. Best part was that ten years ago the kids were little enough to fight a lot of the time. The 2nd and 3rd row seats do a 60/40 split, so I could separate the kids out and still have room for stuff. And no, I don't have to remove the seats or anything, just fold them down. That feature has come in handy more times than I can count. Seats 8 very comfortably, I'm up high enough to see over most other vehicles but I'm not towering over them either. Car handles very well in snowy weather ... a real treat. Minivans were all the rage because they replaced station wagons. Minivans are gay, hate them, refuse to buy one. I"m glad they came out with SUVs. No law says you have to buy them ... nice to have the option though.

My girlfriend drive a Honda CRV. It is an excellent smaller SUV. It has more room than you would think, good gas mileage and handles well. I would prefer it had 4WD/AWD, but it is pretty good the way it is.

My girlfriend drive a Honda CRV. It is an excellent smaller SUV. It has more room than you would think, good gas mileage and handles well. I would prefer it had 4WD/AWD, but it is pretty good the way it is.

The head room in the Pilot is impressive. There's a few tweaks I'd made on the interior (probably just personal preference) but overall I totally like this car. Still have it ten years after purchase. The newer Pilots look like squished hummers to me, prefer the older model.

I like the looks of the older CRV (the one with the tire on the back end, not sure what years). Never got to drive one but I'd try it.

I like 4WD too, when I can get it. Especially for the rain. :thup:

A friend of mine just got this puppy:

38648_1.jpg

It's cute...but it's funny cuz he drove it home yesterday..this weekend he has to drive back to the dealership to get his truck (which he needs on the 31st) and he's going to have to lay down blankets in the back for his dogs.

LOLOL!

I would have gone with him to pick up his truck since I'm the one who wants to use it...but unfortunately, there isn't enough room for me and mine! Darnit!

hohohoho

Don't knock SUV's and minivans. I've owned station wagons, full size vans, and a couple minivans. If you have to haul around a bunch of people and all their stuff, you can't beat them. I have a sedan now, but will probably go back to a minivan or SUV because I really miss the useful utility. They are roomy, fuel economy on a par with full size sedans, and you can carry 7 people and a bunch of stuff. Wish they would just make a diesel or hybrid version available here in the US.

I could never understand why someone would willingly drive a truck instead of a car when they didn't have to.

I know a couple of people who drive trucks, and WON'T drive a car anymore! One prefers his F-250 to his wife's Charger R/T for road trips. His father bought a truck (Suburban) 20 years ago & hasn't owned a car since. (Currently has a diesel Econoline.)

Forum List

Back