Study: CO Indoor Cannabis Farming Produces More Greenhouse Emissions Than Coal Industry

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
Stupid potheads at work.

Cannabis might not be such a “green” crop after all.

A study out of Colorado State University found that the state’s indoor marijuana farms produce substantially more greenhouse gases than its coal mining industry.

Marijuana is legal for recreational use in more than a dozen states and for medicinal purposes in several others. However, many of those states prohibit outdoor commercial cannabis farms and require that the plant be grown indoors, according to the Daily Mail. Even if the law didn’t require indoor cultivation, outdoor farms aren’t ideal since the crops are at the mercy of the weather, insects and, of course, thieves.

Indoor farming requires high-intensity artificial grow lights, fans to circulate air, dehumidifiers and climate-control systems that draw heavily on natural gas and electrical power and result in sky-high energy consumption. According to the Daily Mail’s report on the CSU study, electricity use in Denver from cannabis cultivation “went from 1 percent of the city’s total electrical consumption to 4 percent” between 2013 and 2018.

And electricity, which is generated from burning fossil fuels such as coal and natural gas, is a primary source of greenhouse gas emissions. The carbon footprint of indoor cannabis cultivation is enlarged further due to the fact that producers pump carbon dioxide inside their greenhouses to increase plant growth.

According to Hailey Summers, the lead author of the study, growing one ounce of marijuana creates the same carbon emissions as burning 7 to 16 gallons of gasoline, NewScientist reported.

...​

Stupid potheads at work.

DAMN those potheads! Warming the planet harming the ecostructure by GROWING PLANTS!

STOP THAT RIGHT NOW.

If not for stupid government regulations getting into everyone's business, 80% of the cannabis would be grown OUTDOORS in the sun and rain for FREE, and there would be NO NEED for all those lights and dehumidifiers and other stuff in the first place!

Why doesn't the State of Colorado just fly in their grass from Columbia or Jamaica?

Having indoor growing seems to be a bit much work.

Sure, kids did it in college- but only because it was illegal and they had to grow the grass on the QT. That isn't needed nowadays.

Stupid potheads at work.

A study out of Colorado State University found that the state’s indoor marijuana farms produce substantially more greenhouse gases than its coal mining industry.

Marijuana is legal for recreational use in more than a dozen states and for medicinal purposes in several others. However, many of those states prohibit outdoor commercial cannabis farms and require that the plant be grown indoors, according to the Daily Mail. Even if the law didn’t require indoor cultivation, outdoor farms aren’t ideal since the crops are at the mercy of the weather, insects and, of course, thieves.

Indoor farming requires high-intensity artificial grow lights, fans to circulate air, dehumidifiers and climate-control systems that draw heavily on natural gas and electrical power and result in sky-high energy consumption. According to the Daily Mail’s report on the CSU study, electricity use in Denver from cannabis cultivation “went from 1 percent of the city’s total electrical consumption to 4 percent” between 2013 and 2018.

And electricity, which is generated from burning fossil fuels such as coal and natural gas, is a primary source of greenhouse gas emissions. The carbon footprint of indoor cannabis cultivation is enlarged further due to the fact that producers pump carbon dioxide inside their greenhouses to increase plant growth.

According to Hailey Summers, the lead author of the study, growing one ounce of marijuana creates the same carbon emissions as burning 7 to 16 gallons of gasoline, NewScientist reported.

Stupid greed at work when they made it illegal 100 years ago.

Indoor farming requires high-intensity artificial grow lights, fans to circulate air, dehumidifiers and climate-control systems that draw heavily on natural gas and electrical power and result in sky-high energy consumption.

Does it?

Have these people ever heard of what's called a "greenhouse'?
Indoor lighting is timed to trick the plant into maturing in 90 days or so instead of several months outdoors.

Indoor farming requires high-intensity artificial grow lights, fans to circulate air, dehumidifiers and climate-control systems that draw heavily on natural gas and electrical power and result in sky-high energy consumption.

Does it?

Indoor lighting is timed to trick the plant into maturing in 90 days or so instead of several months outdoors.

You can do that in a greenhouse too.
I dunno, those who don't have the patience to let Nature run her course oughta just smoke a joint or sump'm.

DAMN those potheads! Warming the planet harming the ecostructure by GROWING PLANTS!

STOP THAT RIGHT NOW.

If not for stupid government regulations getting into everyone's business, 80% of the cannabis would be grown OUTDOORS in the sun and rain for FREE, and there would be NO NEED for all those lights and dehumidifiers and other stuff in the first place!
Weed is legal now. Why can't it be grown outdoors?

What a dilemma for woke weed addicts.

Stupid potheads at work.

STOP THAT RIGHT NOW.

Zackly. That's how the USG does it in Mississippi. Although I suspect they monitor the hydration to make sure a drought doesn't get 'em.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to fly to Colorado, go into that greenhouse, and witness these emissions for myself before I make a judgement.
Ha ha! Good one. Make sure your daddy is with you when you go.
Your "judgement" on the matter, by the way, is irrelevant.

If hot house weed farms are worse for the environment than coal then I guess we have no alternative but
to do away with indoor weed farms, just the same as the left wants to do away with coal.

Does it?

You can do that in a greenhouse too.
I dunno, those who don't have the patience to let Nature run her course oughta just smoke a joint or sump'm.
Florida could have been growing enough to supply the whole nation right outdoors. Our republican government is still fighting it tooth and nail. Maybe one day before I die I will finally be able to say I never break any laws.

Stupid potheads at work.

Holy cow! I drive a lot of people to cannabis stores and some of them are quite funny.

STOP THAT RIGHT NOW.

Weed is legal now. Why can't it be grown outdoors?

What a dilemma for woke weed addicts.

NOT QUITE. If you check, the fed still has not OKed it and states typically have it CONDITIONALLY legalized only for "recreational" use or "medicinal" use. If it were wholly LEGAL, they wouldn't care how you use it, just like beer, milk and water.

CO Indoor Cannabis Farming Produces More Greenhouse Emissions Than Coal Industry

I'm afraid I'm going to have to fly to Colorado, go into that greenhouse, and witness these emissions for myself before I make a judgement.

Please do. We'll send you money.

My guess is that if you go inside one, you'll die.

Did you not read where they pump CO2 into the greenhouses.

But don't let that stop you.

By all means.

Does it?

I suspect a lot of our food will benefit from pot-growing technology. And the indoor LED stuff has come a long way.

Forum List

Back