Story of Exodus

shoshi

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2020
Rabbi Friedman explains the reason for the exodus from Egypt and why Egypt was punished with plagues. I thank him for explaining. He gives good lessons.

I know a little bit about the reasons for the exodus, but I do know they had some really cool background music.

So then what was the real reason for the exodus? I think the videos are 100 % confusing. What is your take for the reason? I think the exodus was not even an exodus, because at that time Egypt conquered the entire eastern mediterranean region from the Hittites. It was really just a migration of guest workers from one part of Egypt to another, wasn't it?

So then what was the real reason for the exodus? I think the videos are 100 % confusing. What is your take for the reason? I think the exodus was not even an exodus, because at that time Egypt conquered the entire eastern mediterranean region from the Hittites. It was really just a migration of guest workers from one part of Egypt to another, wasn't it?

Hebrews were delivered from Egypt to the land God has chosen for them. Pharoh was punished for defying the will of God. That is my understanding of it.

Hebrews were delivered from Egypt to the land God has chosen for them. Pharoh was punished for defying the will of God. That is my understanding of it.
this makes sense to me too.

Rabbi Friedman explains the reason for the exodus from Egypt and why Egypt was punished with plagues. I thank him for explaining. He gives good lessons.

This is just sad. Mud bricks are still made all over Africa and the Middle East. The Jews didn't build the pyramids.

This is just sad. Mud bricks are still made all over Africa and the Middle East. The Jews didn't build the pyramids.

Like almost all of the allegorical accounts of historical events in the Bible there will be embellishment of the narrative of the historical event but that does not negate the historical event itself. The embellishment occurs to make the account more memorable and easier to remember and pass down. As oral tradition was how important information was passed down in antiquity.

I believe the Jewish slaves were more like indentured servants than what we might think of as slaves today and that their numbers were much smaller than what was memorialized in the written text. Something that may have happened later in time. Other than that it would seem that there is an element of truth in that there were people of Semitic origin who lived in the region at that time and they probably did migrate away from there to Israel.

Here is a very balanced view of the subject.

Like almost all of the allegorical accounts of historical events in the Bible there will be embellishment of the narrative of the historical event but that does not negate the historical event itself. The embellishment occurs to make the account more memorable and easier to remember and pass down. As oral tradition was how important information was passed down in antiquity.

I believe the Jewish slaves were more like indentured servants than what we might think of as slaves today and that their numbers were much smaller than what was memorialized in the written text. Something that may have happened later in time. Other than that it would seem that there is an element of truth in that there were people of Semitic origin who lived in the region at that time and they probably did migrate away from there to Israel.

Everybody headed for the Nile Delta when there was famine and they walked back an forth.. Further, Egypt controlled Sinai and Canaan at the time.. Sinai couldn't support three million people and their livestock.

Everybody headed for the Nile Delta when there was famine and they walked back an forth.. Further, Egypt controlled Sinai and Canaan at the time.. Sinai couldn't support three million people and their livestock.

I don't think anyone believes the numbers, but there is some element of historical truth to the account. Something happened.

How do you know? Were you there when the pyramids were built?

How do you know? Were you there when the pyramids were built?

Did the Exodus really happen? - Ynetnews
Prof. Israel Finkelstein, Tel Aviv University (Photo: Uri Davidovich and Yogev Atias) Based on the archaeological finds, the biblical Exodus story's the time period, it was actually the Egyptians...

Exodus: History and myth, then and now | Tel Aviv ...
We talked to Prof. Israel Finkelstein, a senior researcher at the Department of Archaeology at Tel Aviv University and one of the most prominent scholars in the field of biblical archeology today. "The question of historical accuracy in the story of Exodus has occupied scholars since the beginning of modern research," says Prof. Finkelstein.

Did the Exodus really happen? - Ynetnews
Prof. Israel Finkelstein, Tel Aviv University (Photo: Uri Davidovich and Yogev Atias) Based on the archaeological finds, the biblical Exodus story's the time period, it was actually the Egyptians...

Exodus: History and myth, then and now | Tel Aviv ...
We talked to Prof. Israel Finkelstein, a senior researcher at the Department of Archaeology at Tel Aviv University and one of the most prominent scholars in the field of biblical archeology today. "The question of historical accuracy in the story of Exodus has occupied scholars since the beginning of modern research," says Prof. Finkelstein.
I'm sure no one disagrees with him.

unless you were there and saw them built you do not know who built the pyramids.

Forum List

Back