SO, what is that old-time religion?

LittleNipper

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2013
I believe it's Bible based and will stay with a person, even when he or she grows old. This lady has gone on to be with GOD; however, she sure was happy and content in the LORD:

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I believe it's Bible based and will stay with a person, even when he or she grows old. This lady has gone on to be with GOD; however, she sure was happy and content in the LORD:

Old time religion for me is a twofold memory and ongoing experience, really. I was raised in a one room creek stone Methodist church deep in the country. Most all of the older male congregants were WWII or Korean War veterans (or both) and all of the women knew me from birth. As a teenager I joined the Church through confirmation activities at Wesley Seminary and elsewhere around the Baltimore area. I also did three long-term mission trips as a teen—two of them, to Puerto Rico and Jamaica, lasted for a whole year each, while the Bolivia trip was four months. The people of that little country church knew me and everyone else through and through; many of them were Masons and backed my own entrance into that organization many years later.

Secondly, old time religion for me is my recent conversion to Catholicism. My wife is Catholic. We were married in a non-denominational service but we wanted to make it official in one denomination or the other. So I agreed to convert. Now my religious experiences are had in the relatively small stone block Catholic church of my wife's youth. Beautiful architecture and great people. For us it is about community, fellowship and unity with something much larger, more vast than either of us. We're about to move many hours away, but I am certain we'll find an equally great church to continue our spiritual paths.

Apparently it's a hoedown.
Nothing wrong with a hoedown if the heart is in the right place. Make a joyful noise unto the LORD. GOD didn't create anyone to be somber and dreary. Not even Norwegians.;)
Hoedowns are good. Maybe even better than square dances and barn dances.

I prefer polkas, of course.
Hey, we have our share of Western Polkas and Cotton-eyed Joe! I might add that in my younger days, I danced with a cowboy hat on ---- and twirled both the girl and myself at the same time ---Twernt easy! But it sure was FUN!

Last edited:
Paganism.

Exactly. You don't cite "old time" and then reach an arbitrary stopping point.

The term refers to the way illiterate people used to worship. Hellfire and brimstone, lots of singing, lots of passionate preaching, prayer and testimony. Like the old tent meetings I was dragged to as a child.

Presumably "Old Time Religion" within the context of Chrisianity would involve sharing of all worldly goods, as with the Early Church in the Book of Acts

To me, old time religion is guitars, fiddles, banjo, mandolin, tambourine, spirited singing, hand clapping, shouts of praise, a Bible lesson glorifying Jesus, an offering, then a banquet, take a nap, then do it all over again in the late afternoon.

Presumably "Old Time Religion" within the context of Chrisianity would involve sharing of all worldly goods, as with the Early Church in the Book of Acts
At the very least it is loving one's neighbors as one's self. Not too many people today even know who their neighbors are --- much less regard them...

Forum List

Back