Steve Vai's 60th Bday gift to guitar players

As if he hadn't done enough, at about 2:30 he shows off a new technique "Joint Shifting"
That's not new. Due to lack of a better term, I always categorized that same technique as the "spider crawl" for my guitar students. Because a girlfriend said it looked like my hand was a spider crawling around the fretboard.

"joint shifting"? :lol:

I wonder how he came up with that term. I suspect that it's marijuana-related.

Last edited:
That fuckin' guy's not human...
It's like controlled improvising.
He actually transcribes this stuff and plays the songs
live the same way basically. Maybe something that morphed into
his style from the Zappa years ? He's made a small fortune from Ibanez for sure.

He's truly a genius , but I personally sort of prefer the more
'traditional' shredders, if there's such a term, like Vinnie Moore, Marty Friedman, Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert, John Petrucci...... I place Vai in a separate galaxy of his own like Malmstein.

That's not new. Due to lack of a better term, I always categorized that same technique as the "spider crawl" for my guitar students. Because a girlfriend said it looked like my hand was a spider crawling around the fretboard.

"joint shifting"? :lol:

I wonder how he came up with that term. I suspect that it's marijuana-related.
I think Kiko invented it.

I’m not a big fan of “shredding” but as a hack guitarist myself these past 50 years or so I’d like to be able to do it.

Sorta like getting into a Lamboghini Countach and driving 200mph. Not that I’d want to do it all the time but once in a while it might be fun.

That fuckin' guy's not human...
It's like controlled improvising.
He actually transcribes this stuff and plays the songs
live the same way basically. Maybe something that morphed into
his style from the Zappa years ? He's made a small fortune from Ibanez for sure.

He's truly a genius , but I personally sort of prefer the more
'traditional' shredders, if there's such a term, like Vinnie Moore, Marty Friedman, Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert, John Petrucci...... I place Vai in a separate galaxy of his own like Malmstein.

Too many cooks spoil the broth.

I’m not a big fan of “shredding” but as a hack guitarist myself these past 50 years or so I’d like to be able to do it.

Sorta like getting into a Lamboghini Countach and driving 200mph. Not that I’d want to do it all the time but once in a while it might be fun.
There's no substitute for practice, but you can pay for really good
short-cut lessons online. Now they have smart phone metronomes and every effect you can think of.

This guy is one.

Too many cooks spoil the broth.
Oh, I totally agree. I would never pay to see a G-3 wank-fest.
20 years ago maybe.

This is an example of two guitarists shredding music people want to hear.....@ 5:00, one of the coolest things I've ever seen musically....the dual meandering around the arena jam.

The boys from Skynyrd are smiling down from heaven ( or up from hell, whervever the most beer is )

Last edited:

Although Chong is a good guitar player, actually it's Steve Lukather playing those parts in the movie soundtracks

Last edited:

Forum List

Back