Stephen Paddock: Is he a terrorist? Why or why not?

Then you are not totally up to snuff as one because there is only one meaning for the term "but for" and insofar as their is only one meaning for that term, it is not ambiguously defined and thus is not usable ambiguously.

HOLY SHIT. Really???

but
bət/
conjunction
conjunction: but
  1. 1.
    used to introduce something contrasting with what has already been mentioned.
    synonyms: yet, nevertheless, nonetheless, even so, however, still, notwithstanding, despite that, in spite of that, for all that, all the same, just the same;
    More
    though, although
    "he stumbled but didn't fall"
    • nevertheless; however.
    • on the contrary; in contrast.
      "I am clean but you are dirty"
      synonyms: whereas, conversely, but then, then again, on the other hand, by/in contrast, on the contrary
      "this one's expensive, but this one isn't"
  2. 2.
    used to indicate the impossibility of anything other than what is being stated.
    "one cannot but sympathize"
  3. 3.
    used to introduce a response expressing a feeling such as surprise or anger.
    "but that's an incredible saving!"
  4. 4.
    used after an expression of apology for what one is about to say.
    "I'm sorry, but I can't pay you"
  5. 5.
    archaic
    without its being the case that.
    "it never rains but it pours"
preposition
preposition: but
  1. 1.
    except; apart from; other than.
    "in Texas, we were never anything but poor"
    synonyms: except (for), apart from, other than, besides, aside from, with the exception of, bar, excepting, excluding, leaving out, save (for), saving
    "everyone but him"
    • used with repetition of certain words to give emphasis.
      "nobody, but nobody, was going to stop her"
adverb
adverb: but
  1. 1.
    no more than; only.
    "he is but a shadow of his former self"
    synonyms: only, just, simply, merely, no more than, nothing but;
    a mere
noun
noun: but; plural noun: buts
  1. 1.
    an argument against something; an objection.
    "no buts —just get out of here"
Origin
:banghead:

What's the first entry there??

Just say "except" if you mean "except", and eschew the ambiguity. Ain't frickin' rocket surgery.

DJT for Life said:
News organizations have their own agendas/narratives.

To which you replied:
But for PBS and NPR and their affiliates, news organizations these days have one primary agenda: profit.

What it looks like:
"Yes (agreeing news orgs have their own agendas), however, for PBS and NPR and their affiliates, that agenda is profit".

What you meant to say:
"Outside of PBS, NPR and their affiliates, the agenda of those news orgs is profit".

Two different and opposite things. The eye has to convert to Shakespearean-era English to infer the second.

"But" is ambiguous meaning. "Outside of" or "with the exception of" would not have been. That's all I'm saying -- write with clarity.
You contemptibly insufferable intransigent fucking dipshit!!

The phrase I used is "but for." "But" alone means one thing. "But for" means something else.

Now you can sit your sorry ass there and make like a dumbfuck and pretend that I didn't write "but for," and keep referring to the matter as though I wrote only "but;" however the fact of the matter is that I did, and everyone, including your sorry ass, can see as much.

My, you don't take being corrected real well do ya.
Best thing to do now is double down on your own ignorance.

Check.

I've often said, anyone who thinks political debates are the most passionate battles has never been to a newspaper editorial meeting. :meow:

Some take it with class, others....... not so much.

:lol:
When a dipshit like you deigns to assert I've erred and the basis for their doing so is equivocation, no I don't.

I'll be honest with you. I had a level of respect for you that went right out the door when you presented the definition of the word "but" when you know goddamn well (or you damn well should given your avowed job as an editor) that "but" is merely the first word of the idiomatic preposition I used, most especially after I twice provided you with the definition for "but for," and your sorry ass clearly has yet to click on it.

Click on it or don't. I don't actually give a tinker's dam if you do. I expected far more discursive integrity from you than you've shown here. That you've disappointed me is really my fault for giving more credit than you deserve. But that's okay, for I won't again make that mistake because you are total stranger to me just as is everyone else here, and that means that when you dick around with me, I relegate you my ignore list so I no longer have to suffer your puerile BS. I am herewith done with. Have a good life.

xelor vs pogo? I pick xelor.

Smarter, definitely. Not as beguiling.

Left-leaning, yes. Whatevs.

Take that, Pogo, you been owned! LOL!
I like them both. I don't think one is better than the other, though. When Xelor puts Pogo on ignore, he is not "owning" anything. Pogo isn't a troll or an idiot.
Rethink this, Xelor (yeah, right--I know how that's going to go. LOL)

HOLY SHIT. Really???

but
bət/
conjunction
  1. 1.
    synonyms: yet, nevertheless, nonetheless, even so, however, still, notwithstanding, despite that, in spite of that, for all that, all the same, just the same;
    More
    though, although
    • nevertheless; however.
      synonyms: whereas, conversely, but then, then again, on the other hand, by/in contrast, on the contrary
  2. 2.
  3. 3.
  4. 4.
  5. 5.
    archaic
preposition
  1. 1.
    synonyms: except (for), apart from, other than, besides, aside from, with the exception of, bar, excepting, excluding, leaving out, save (for), saving
    "everyone but him"
adverb
  1. 1.
    no more than; only.
    a mere
noun
  1. 1.
Origin

Just say "except" if you mean "except", and eschew the ambiguity. Ain't frickin' rocket surgery.

DJT for Life said:
To which you replied:
What it looks like:
"Yes (agreeing news orgs have their own agendas), however, for PBS and NPR and their affiliates, that agenda is profit".

What you meant to say:
"Outside of PBS, NPR and their affiliates, the agenda of those news orgs is profit".

Two different and opposite things. The eye has to convert to Shakespearean-era English to infer the second.

"But" is ambiguous meaning. "Outside of" or "with the exception of" would not have been. That's all I'm saying -- write with clarity.

The phrase I used is "but for." "But" alone means one thing. "But for" means something else.

Now you can sit your sorry ass there and make like a dumbfuck and pretend that I didn't write "but for," and keep referring to the matter as though I wrote only "but;" however the fact of the matter is that I did, and everyone, including your sorry ass, can see as much.

Check.

I've often said, anyone who thinks political debates are the most passionate battles has never been to a newspaper editorial meeting. :meow:

When a dipshit like you deigns to assert I've erred and the basis for their doing so is equivocation, no I don't.

I'll be honest with you. I had a level of respect for you that went right out the door when you presented the definition of the word "but" when you know goddamn well (or you damn well should given your avowed job as an editor) that "but" is merely the first word of the idiomatic preposition I used, most especially after I twice provided you with the definition for "but for," and your sorry ass clearly has yet to click on it.

Click on it or don't. I don't actually give a tinker's dam if you do. I expected far more discursive integrity from you than you've shown here. That you've disappointed me is really my fault for giving more credit than you deserve. But that's okay, for I won't again make that mistake because you are total stranger to me just as is everyone else here, and that means that when you dick around with me, I relegate you my ignore list so I no longer have to suffer your puerile BS. I am herewith done with. Have a good life.

I like them both. I don't think one is better than the other, though. When Xelor puts Pogo on ignore, he is not "owning" anything. Pogo isn't a troll or an idiot.

Pogo is a troll and an idiot. Okay, I take that back, he's just an asshole.

I know that xelor is smarter. ;)

In that genre , I'm just a troll. Zero fucks given, too.

I do what I want.

I ascribe to the definition of terrorism being acts of violence against innocent people for the advancement of a political/ideological agenda.

So, since the police at this point are saying that they don't have a motive in this mass shooting, that would mean at this point he cannot be considered a terrorist.
You don't "ascribe" to anything idiot.Don't use words you don't understand to make yourself look smart. Backfires too easily.

Misuse of words make one look like a Meathead.

I'm the one that mentioned it so I cant be the one that missed you moron. :laugh:

Like most uneducated whites you are assuming I belong to the Dems of old or the Repubs of new since the Southern strategy. I belong to neither part.

Nigga please.
Honky please.
Racist says what?
Pig wrestler says what?
That black Muslims are scared of them.
You shouldnt be afraid of Black Muslims. They are pretty cool people.

Then you are not totally up to snuff as one because there is only one meaning for the term "but for" and insofar as their is only one meaning for that term, it is not ambiguously defined and thus is not usable ambiguously.

HOLY SHIT. Really???

but
bət/
conjunction
  1. 1.
    More
    though, although
    • nevertheless; however.
  2. 2.
  3. 3.
  4. 4.
  5. 5.
    archaic
preposition
  1. 1.
    "everyone but him"
adverb
  1. 1.
    no more than; only.
    a mere
noun
  1. 1.
Origin

DJT for Life said:

To which you replied:
But for PBS and NPR and their affiliates, news organizations these days have one primary agenda: profit.

What it looks like:

What you meant to say:

Check.

Oh, dear, I do wish you two wouldn't fight.
<sigh>
We are not fighting any more. If s/he is still posting about the matter, s/he is talking to him-/herself.

HOLY SHIT. Really???

but
bət/
conjunction
  1. 1.
    More
    though, although
    • nevertheless; however.
  2. 2.
  3. 3.
  4. 4.
  5. 5.
    archaic
preposition
  1. 1.
    "everyone but him"
adverb
  1. 1.
    no more than; only.
    a mere
noun
  1. 1.
Origin

DJT for Life said:

To which you replied:

What it looks like:

What you meant to say:

Check.

:lol: Doooooon't think so. All I've been is out of the house.

Apparently that one melts like butter on a hot stove at the first hint of correction. Which I did nicely, and he did the ol' Wicked Witch of the West impression.

He wouldn't last two minutes in my publication with a meltdown like that. What a wimp.

HOLY SHIT. Really???

but
bət/
conjunction
  1. 1.
    More
    though, although
    • nevertheless; however.
  2. 2.
  3. 3.
  4. 4.
  5. 5.
    archaic
preposition
  1. 1.
    "everyone but him"
adverb
  1. 1.
    no more than; only.
    a mere
noun
  1. 1.
Origin

DJT for Life said:
To which you replied:
What it looks like:

What you meant to say:

Check.

Apparently that one melts like butter on a hot stove at the first hint of correction. Which I did nicely, and he did the ol' Wicked Witch of the West impression.

He wouldn't last two minutes in my publication with a meltdown like that. What a wimp.
I'm not a word bank like Xelor or an editor like you, but I thought Xelor's statement beginning with "But" was clear and unambiguous. Pogo gets a ten yard penalty for unnecessary hairsplitting and Xelor gets ten yards for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Pretty straightforward question....just answer it.
Of course he is. He's a white guy and they are the biggest terrorists in the US.

Word play aside...that's make one thing crystal clear; no group "TERRORIZES" this nation and Americans more than Blacks....FACT!
I know. Educated Black men that know who they are frighten white people to death. However, we are talking about "terrorists" which is a different word than "terrorize". You can be terrorized by anything you fear and your case you fear Black men. Thanks for admitting to that.

ter·ror·ize
ˈterəˌrīz/
verb
  1. create and maintain a state of extreme fear and distress in (someone); fill with terror.

Once the balk is complete , negros will drastically need the few educated existing bucks. These will be the founders of a new colored Nation.

HOLY SHIT. Really???

but
bət/
conjunction
  1. 1.
    More
    though, although
    • nevertheless; however.
  2. 2.
  3. 3.
  4. 4.
  5. 5.
    archaic
preposition
  1. 1.
    "everyone but him"
adverb
  1. 1.
    no more than; only.
    a mere
noun
  1. 1.
Origin

DJT for Life said:
To which you replied:
What it looks like:

What you meant to say:

Check.

They're both idiots for getting into an argument about grammar and getting completely off topic.

They got this thread kicked off of Politics and put in 'General Discussion'.

Good going!

There would need to be political motivation in order for what Paddock allegedly did in order for it to be considered terrorism.

Check.

I'm not a word bank like Xelor or an editor like you, but I thought Xelor's statement beginning with "But" was clear and unambiguous. Pogo gets a ten yard penalty for unnecessary hairsplitting and Xelor gets ten yards for unsportsmanlike conduct.

:lol: Fair enough. Seeing as how the post had to be re-read several times to get the intent I simply pointed out the ambiguity. There's no law that says writing has to be clear, it was a suggestion for improvement. I figure in a world of self-deluded rhetoric such as this forum is, unambiguous clarity is essential, lest the self-deluders take that cherrypicked ambiguity and run with it. Which would be dishonest on their part, but we all know it happens. And that's how fake memes and myths get started, or one way they do.

I edit myself constantly for exactly that reason. Rare is the post where I don't review it immediately and go, "wait, I could make that clearer", and do so.

Check.

They're both idiots for getting into an argument about grammar and getting completely off topic.

Good going!
I nearly apologized to you for messing up your thread, and then I realized this was Xelor's thread to begin with. If he wants to mess it up, that's perfectly okay. Free country, ya know?
Geez.

Check.

Good going!

What difference does it make where it's categorized? Arguably it is "General Discussion" since being not-terrorism, what the shooter did was not a political act.

The terminology question (it wasn't grammar) was a simple clarification when I had to inquire which way he meant the post. He didn't have to beat that to death, but if the question is not asked, it's never cleared up, is it.

Pretty straightforward question....just answer it.
Of course he is. He's a white guy and they are the biggest terrorists in the US.

Word play aside...that's make one thing crystal clear; no group "TERRORIZES" this nation and Americans more than Blacks....FACT!
I know. Educated Black men that know who they are frighten white people to death. However, we are talking about "terrorists" which is a different word than "terrorize". You can be terrorized by anything you fear and your case you fear Black men. Thanks for admitting to that.

ter·ror·ize
ˈterəˌrīz/
verb
  1. create and maintain a state of extreme fear and distress in (someone); fill with terror.

Once the balk is complete , negros will drastically need the few educated existing bucks. These will be the founders of a new colored Nation.

Here ^^ is yet another example, and a far worse one. What the fuck is this post talking about? :dunno:

Somebody else can ask for clarification this time. Lesson learned. Fuck it.

We don't have an actual crime of "domestic terrorism" in this country. You can't prosecute what doesn't exist. So we can call Paddock or the rest of them anything we want, but if Paddock wasn't involved in international terrorism, we couldn't prosecute him for terrorism. People who do what Paddock did can be prosecuted for lots of counts of murder etc. and it can put him in prison for life, same as terrorism would.
It just occurred to me: are we wanting a domestic terrorism crime on the books so we can use capital punishment like we did with the Boston Bomber?

We don't have an actual crime of "domestic terrorism" in this country. You can't prosecute what doesn't exist. So we can call Paddock or the rest of them anything we want, but if Paddock wasn't involved in international terrorism, we couldn't prosecute him for terrorism. People who do what Paddock did can be prosecuted for lots of counts of murder etc. and it can put him in prison for life, same as terrorism would.
It just occurred to me: are we wanting a domestic terrorism crime on the books so we can use capital punishment like we did with the Boston Bomber?

Good question. The Boston marathon bombing didn't really qualify as terrorism either. I wasn't aware there was a push for that distinction for that reason.

In this case the mass shooter offed himself, so it would seem the distinction is entirely moot, other than defining what the limits of abusing the definition of terrorism are.

Not sure what the legal definition of "domestic terrorism" is but the Scott Roeders and Eric Rudolphs and Tim McVeighs should certainly qualify.

Check.

Good going!
It's a thread I created. Going off topic is thus my prerogative.

HOLY SHIT. Really???

but
bət/
conjunction
  1. 1.
    More
    though, although
    • nevertheless; however.
  2. 2.
  3. 3.
  4. 4.
  5. 5.
    archaic
preposition
  1. 1.
    "everyone but him"
adverb
  1. 1.
    no more than; only.
    a mere
noun
  1. 1.
Origin

DJT for Life said:
To which you replied:
What it looks like:

What you meant to say:

Check.

Yep.

Forum List

Back