STEM stuy

What does "equity" have to do with building a better mouse trap?

What can "social justice" do to advance string theory?

How will "gender bias" affect 2 x 5?

The left has gone off their collective rocker & I'm never going to pretend their overt discrimination & anti-science/common sense woke dogma is actually healthy for a functioning society or has any basis in reality

There are a number of educators who post here, and are probably well aware of this

Yet i'm curious as to your opinion(s).....
thx
~S~
My opinion? This study appears to be all about the use of language in reports..not really sure that that means anything at all. It also draws an untenable line between use of inclusive language and scientific results and conclusions. For example:

"Consider, for example, the consequences of the sciences adopting an ethic of equity. The vice president of the United States, Kamala Harris, has stated plainly that “equitable treatment means we all end up in the same place.”4 In other words, equity is equality of outcomes. If the sciences were to adopt such an ethic, a scholar who is consistently correct would be considered equal in merit to a scholar who is consistently incorrect. In fact, the very concept of correct or incorrect would have to be discarded, as the terms insinuate that unequal outcomes are possible, and that we will not all end up in the same place."

No one with any brains at all would say that "equality of outcomes' applies to the scientific method. That's an absurd statement, and yet it forms the basis of this argument? Nobody is discarding the concepts of correct and incorrect...LOL!

"We all end up in the same place' is all about social issues..as anyone with a thinking brain would know. VP Harris was not speaking to the sciences nor the scientific method.

This is a partisan puff piece disguised as a scientific study. At best, all it is doing is counting the 'bad' words and offensive..to them...terms. It has zero to do with how scientists do science. I imagine that a lot of the increase in the offending terminology has to do with funding...and conforming to the changing social paradigm.

At the beginning of this academic year, someone from the district actually encouraged us in the ESL department to use the term "languaging" when discussing the use of different languages (such as English and the student's first language). We all had a good laugh after the meeting, and of course no one has ever seriously used such a stupid term. Every year some dope cooks up a new and pointless piece of jargon.

Forum List

Back