States With Higher Minimum Wage Gain More Jobs

States with higher minimum wage gain more jobs

Many business groups argue that raising the minimum wage discourages job growth by increasing the cost of hiring. A Congressional Budget Office report earlier this year lent some support for that view. It found that a minimum wage of $10.10 an hour, as President Obama supports, could cost 500,000 jobs nationwide.

But the state-by-state hiring data, released Friday by the Labor Department, provides ammunition to those who disagree. Economists who support a higher minimum say the figures are encouraging, though they acknowledge they don't establish a cause and effect. There are many possible reasons hiring might accelerate in a particular state.

People will work if you pay them more. More money means bills are paid, less debt, and more put back into the economy.

People will work if you pay them more? What a bunch of mule fritters.

The POINT is, employers will not be able to afford the higher labor costs, and will obviously either not hire more people, or will lay off current employees, or in any event pass on the higher costs of doing business to consumers. Either way, not good.

Advocates of increased minimum wages have NEVER run a business. Margins are tight. Res Ipsa Loquitur.

Last edited:
70% of the American economy is consumer demand.

Trickle down doesn't work.
I really don't understand why Rightwingers have no appreciation for demand side economics. If you raised the minimum wage to a reasonable level, you are going to see economic growth. This is economics 101. If wages are higher, people are going to spend more money. Yes, initially it may kill some jobs, but it would regain that number and more with a stimulation to business. The reason why most (not all) CEO's are against raising the wage because it is easier for them to just keep their ridiculous amount of money rather than investing in a stronger labor force that would fair for anyone.
Not only would it kill "some jobs", but it would put a lot of "job providers" out of business.

You want higher wages, stimulate the economy- not Wall Street.

Obama prints about $80 billion per month of paper dollars then dumps them. The value of the dollar is in the shitter, interest rates are near zero, and the only investment refuge is... Wall Street.

NOT Main Street.

God damnit man, get your ass to the Bitch-Slap thread. :slap:
See there's your problem with understanding nuance. Job killing would depend on how high you raised it. If you raised the federal to 10.10, the ONLY businesses that would go under are some tiny mom and pop shops who were never very profitable to begin with. So what? This is about giving people wages they can live off of. Tell me if you had a wage that was less than 10 an hour could you live off of it? What if you had a kid? I know you cons have a deficit with empathy, but just try to imagine it will you?

If it was raised to that much the job loss would be less than 500,000 jobs.
Are you seriously this retarded?

Maybe it is just me, and I am confused . But can you connect the dots between those two statements for me? I do not know whether I agree or disagree with you. Thanks

Many business groups argue that raising the minimum wage discourages job growth by increasing the cost of hiring. A Congressional Budget Office report earlier this year lent some support for that view. It found that a minimum wage of $10.10 an hour, as President Obama supports, could cost 500,000 jobs nationwide.

But the state-by-state hiring data, released Friday by the Labor Department, provides ammunition to those who disagree. Economists who support a higher minimum say the figures are encouraging, though they acknowledge they don't establish a cause and effect. There are many possible reasons hiring might accelerate in a particular state.

People will work if you pay them more. More money means bills are paid, less debt, and more put back into the economy.

RWs prefer that people be on welfare.

Better yet, let them starve.
Based on the RWs posts on this board, I'd say their philosophy exemplifies the "let them eat cake' concept.
Pretty sure you don't understand history let alone the nuances of qoutes from the time.

"Let them eat cake" was a totalitarian government structure that was taking other people's earnings in order that they themselves never had to eat cake but thought that was good enough for everyone else.

The cake was welfare you two simple minded idiot's. It was deemed good enough for the peasantry by the holder's of power. Indeed it was good enough and more than should be expected from the democratic party...I'm sorry I jumped ahead in history. Welfare is the best you can hope for under democrat rule. Be happy with your cake and keep voting democrat.

No hope for the future, no hope for your work just be happy with the fucking cake! That's the democrat way of trapping people in poverty. No worries though, you're in good hands with the government...eat your fucking cake and be happy.

Only 1.7% of Americans get more than 50% of their income from welfare.
You simply aren't a very bright person are you. You sure do like distributing cake though!

People will work if you pay them more? What a bunch of mule fritters.

The POINT is, employers will not be able to afford the higher labor costs, and will obviously either not hire more people, or will lay off current employees, or in any event pass on the higher costs of doing business to consumers. Either way, not good.

Advocates of increased minimum wages have NEVER run a business. Margins are tight. Res Ipsa Loquitur.

Sorry to quote my own post, but if the libs are adamant in desiring a commune "living wage" then why not raise the minimum wage to $40hr?? Or $100hr?

See the disconnect with reality?

Based on the RWs posts on this board, I'd say their philosophy exemplifies the "let them eat cake' concept.
Pretty sure you don't understand history let alone the nuances of qoutes from the time.

"Let them eat cake" was a totalitarian government structure that was taking other people's earnings in order that they themselves never had to eat cake but thought that was good enough for everyone else.

The cake was welfare you two simple minded idiot's. It was deemed good enough for the peasantry by the holder's of power. Indeed it was good enough and more than should be expected from the democratic party...I'm sorry I jumped ahead in history. Welfare is the best you can hope for under democrat rule. Be happy with your cake and keep voting democrat.

No hope for the future, no hope for your work just be happy with the fucking cake! That's the democrat way of trapping people in poverty. No worries though, you're in good hands with the government...eat your fucking cake and be happy.
OMFG This is hilarious!! :cuckoo::laugh:

You are an idiot. Where did you get all this so called 'factual' information. It is a statement attributed to Marie Antoinette during the French Revolution. She never said it, in fact, but it is meant to suggest a simple thing: that the rich have no compassion for the poor. All this other BS you are espousing about it is nonsense and fabricated long, long after the fact. You apparently think you are educated because you've read this BS somewhere. You illustrate you are so simple minded, you'll believe whatever your read and think yourself educated and informed. LMAO

Last edited:

Only 1.7% of Americans get more than 50% of their income from welfare.
You simply aren't a very bright person are you. You sure do like distributing cake though!
LMAO Pot calling kettle. :lmao:

I really don't understand why Rightwingers have no appreciation for demand side economics. If you raised the minimum wage to a reasonable level, you are going to see economic growth. This is economics 101. If wages are higher, people are going to spend more money. Yes, initially it may kill some jobs, but it would regain that number and more with a stimulation to business. The reason why most (not all) CEO's are against raising the wage because it is easier for them to just keep their ridiculous amount of money rather than investing in a stronger labor force that would fair for anyone.
Not only would it kill "some jobs", but it would put a lot of "job providers" out of business.

Obama prints about $80 billion per month of paper dollars then dumps them. The value of the dollar is in the shitter, interest rates are near zero, and the only investment refuge is... Wall Street.

NOT Main Street.

See there's your problem with understanding nuance. Job killing would depend on how high you raised it. If you raised the federal to 10.10, the ONLY businesses that would go under are some tiny mom and pop shops who were never very profitable to begin with. So what? This is about giving people wages they can live off of. Tell me if you had a wage that was less than 10 an hour could you live off of it? What if you had a kid? I know you cons have a deficit with empathy, but just try to imagine it will you?

Again, pot calling kettle.

LOL In fact, I'll bet he comes up with some other meaning for the pot calling the kettle aphorism. LOL This guy's a laugh a minute.

NOT Main Street.

Again, pot calling kettle.

LOL In fact, I'll bet he comes up with some other meaning for the pot calling the kettle aphorism. LOL This guy's a laugh a minute.
It's a perfect aphorism whenever Esmie tries to insult anyone.

OMFG This is hilarious!! :cuckoo::laugh:

You are an idiot. Where did you get all this so called 'factual' information. It is a statement attributed to Marie Antoinette during the French Revolution. She never said it, in fact, but it is meant to suggest a simple thing: that the rich have no compassion for the poor. All this other BS you are espousing about it is nonsense and fabricated long, long after the fact. You apparently think you are educated because you've read this BS somewhere. You illustrate you are so simple minded, you'll believe whatever your read and think yourself educated and informed. LMAO
I'm going to name my post satellite it went so far over your head.

Maybe it is just me, and I am confused . But can you connect the dots between those two statements for me? I do not know whether I agree or disagree with you. Thanks

Here. I'll help.

The Chinese have a famous symbol of a dragon devouring its own tail. It is the perfect allegory for malignant capitalism that thinks it lives in a bubble. When the top 1% depend upon a 70% demographic that makes them wealthy, when that 70% becomes impoverished waiting for that 1% to "trickle down" any money to them, particularly in a strapped economy where the 1% is hoarding their wealth and not trickling any down [banks are only loaning to people with enough liquid assets to not need the loan in the first place], then consumption slows to a death crawl. At which point the 1% begin to notice a drop in their portfolio's net worth.

Their reaction, as it is now, is to punish the poor for "all those entitlements you don't need!"...[in a blind panic trying to figure out why their assets are diminishing rapidly]. Since the powerful are always the rich and the rich always get their way with internal policy, entitlements will be stripped even further to the poor. Whereupon even more of the rich's assets begin to disappear because even less consuming may now happen from the 70% they depend on. [But pathologically-refuse to admit is true]

And our country will remain in this downward spiral until the rich realize it is because they have not given back to the system that made them that way. Let's just hope that happens before Putin and pals bleed this raging bull to its knees.

A quick solution to the problem where all would profit and win would be immediate across the board universal healthcare. Jobs would return because employers would suddenly have that monthly outlay evaporated for their insured workers. They could immediately hire more people. The equivalent of a second mortgage in premiums and deductables monthly for folks that insure themselves currrently would suddenly flood back into consuming for that 70%. Banks would begin loaning again and the economy would receive the CPR it needs.

Right now though what's going on is the paramedics [who are the rich sitting on all that stimulation wealth] are running around in a panic...or temporarily giddied by random spikes in the DOW...alternately... either being too complacent or screaming hysterically "What do we do??!!" while the patient lies on the ground in cardiac arrest.

I suggest breaking out the paddles and doing some jolts to the chest. It's called universal healthcare...

Last edited:
The Chinese have a famous symbol of a dragon devouring its own tail. It is the perfect allegory for malignant capitalism that thinks it lives in a bubble. When the top 1% depend upon a 70% demographic that makes them wealthy, when that 70% becomes impoverished waiting for that 1% to "trickle down" any money to them, particularly in a strapped economy where the 1% is hoarding their wealth and not trickling any down [banks are only loaning to people with enough liquid assets to not need the loan in the first place], then consumption slows to a death crawl. At which point the 1% begin to notice a drop in their portfolio's net worth.

Their reaction, as it is now, is to punish the poor for "all those entitlements you don't need!"...[in a blind panic trying to figure out why their assets are diminishing rapidly]. Since the powerful are always the rich and the rich always get their way with internal policy, entitlements will be stripped even further to the poor. Whereupon even more of the rich's assets begin to disappear because even less consuming may now happen from the 70% they depend on.

And our country will remain in this downward spiral until the rich realize it is because they have not given back to the system that made them that way. Let's just hope that happens before Putin and pals bleed this raging bull to its knees.

A quick solution to the problem where all would profit and win would be immediate across the board universal healthcare. Jobs would return because employers would suddenly have that monthly outlay evaporated for their insured workers. They could immediately hire more people. The equivalent of a second mortgage in premiums and deductables monthly for folks that insure themselves currrently would suddenly flood back into consuming for that 70%. Banks would begin loaning again and the economy would receive the CPR it needs.

Right now though what's going on is the paramedics [who are the rich sitting on all that stimulation wealth are running around in a panic...or temporarily giddied by random spikes in the DOW...alternately...] are running around either being too complacent or screaming hysterically "What do we do??!!" while the patient lies on the ground in cardiac arrest.

I suggest breaking out the paddles and doing some jolts to the chest. It's called universal healthcare...
LOL. You should be on TV! Funny stuff. The rich got richer and the poor got poorer because the rich are expanding their income base and profits are up. Jobs going offshores is one reason for that but it's not the rich's fault, it's too costly here, the regs are too tough and like you mentioned...healthcare.

The poor get poorer because there are less opportunity, not because someone took money they didn't have to begin with. So the gap widens and does to this day since liberal policies are taking us in the wrong direction. Punishing the rich has never increased an economy that I know of but you must have an example?

There is one minimum wage across the country. Some states have better wages because their economy is better than others. North Dakota has great wages because of the oil boon. Rent is also sky high, if you can find a place to rent. Waitresses are making $15.00, not including tips, on up an hour because the restaurants are enjoying a lot of business. That is how it works when the economy is good. When businesses are doing well, they pay their employees better and need more of them.

Washington doesn't need to raise minimum wage. They need to make laws that help businesses grow instead of suffocating them.

To just arbitrarily increase wages will hurt in states where the economy is still stagnant. The small businesses will disappear, along with the jobs. Prices will increase if the minimum wage is imposed and that means everyone pays more at the grocery store and everywhere else. The increased cost of living will gobble up the increase in income and then some. People will be worse off than before and more will be unemployed.

Liberals do this shit under the guise of helping the little guy. Are you guys really that ignorant or do you know that it will hurt more in the long run and take us a step close to having socialism imposed on us? I am guessing the latter since that is the endgame for the left.

LMAO you're conclusion is all wrong, go peddle your socialism on some street corner with a bullhorn.

Wow another republican who doesn't know the meaning of words in the english language.

Socialism isn't private money being paid to workers. That's capitalism.

This has nothing to do with public tax dollars. This is private dollars from private business paying their workers a wage that's enough to live on without having to run to the government for money just to be able to sustain themselves.

What you republicans want is socialism. You want wages for private business to be very low and for tax dollars to make up the difference.

If you really hated socialism you would support a higher minimum wage so that people wouldn't qualify for government assistance.

You've got that conservative projection down to an art form.

Liberals want to take from those who have more and give to those who have less for no other reason than "fairness" and "fair share". They tell their dumb ass base they are entitled to a share. I say when the bunch of gutless lazy liberals grow a pair, start their own business, risk their own money and future, make the personal sacrifices required to start and grow a business then they can feel free to give part of the business to their employees if they choose. I seriously doubt that will happen. Employees here's your paycheck, that's it now get back to work until next payday or feel free to go work some other job.
repupublicans want to take from the workers what the worker should make for their hard work .. no liberal expects something for nothing ... republicans think just because they own a business that they can take all the profet and not share it for their hard work ... what they are finding out is losers like you bite into their they are entitled to have someting for nothing rant ...a fair wage is all they ask for ...its moron like you who doesn't get it ... its morons like you who fight against their own best interest...

LMAO you're conclusion is all wrong, go peddle your socialism on some street corner with a bullhorn.

Wow another republican who doesn't know the meaning of words in the english language.

This has nothing to do with public tax dollars. This is private dollars from private business paying their workers a wage that's enough to live on without having to run to the government for money just to be able to sustain themselves.

What you republicans want is socialism. You want wages for private business to be very low and for tax dollars to make up the difference.

If you really hated socialism you would support a higher minimum wage so that people wouldn't qualify for government assistance.

Liberals want to take from those who have more and give to those who have less for no other reason than "fairness" and "fair share". They tell their dumb ass base they are entitled to a share. I say when the bunch of gutless lazy liberals grow a pair, start their own business, risk their own money and future, make the personal sacrifices required to start and grow a business then they can feel free to give part of the business to their employees if they choose. I seriously doubt that will happen. Employees here's your paycheck, that's it now get back to work until next payday or feel free to go work some other job.
repupublicans want to take from the workers what the worker should make for their hard work .. no liberal expects something for nothing ... republicans think just because they own a business that they can take all the profet and not share it for their hard work ... what they are finding out is losers like you bite into their they are entitled to have someting for nothing rant ...a fair wage is all they ask for ...its moron like you who doesn't get it ... its morons like you who fight against their own best interest...
Learn to write before you rant. People might have some idea of what you're whining about.

LMAO that's a liberal classic right there ^^^

Their reaction, as it is now, is to punish the poor for "all those entitlements you don't need!"...[in a blind panic trying to figure out why their assets are diminishing rapidly]. Since the powerful are always the rich and the rich always get their way with internal policy, entitlements will be stripped even further to the poor. Whereupon even more of the rich's assets begin to disappear because even less consuming may now happen from the 70% they depend on.

Right now though what's going on is the paramedics [who are the rich sitting on all that stimulation wealth are running around in a panic...or temporarily giddied by random spikes in the DOW...alternately...] are running around either being too complacent or screaming hysterically "What do we do??!!" while the patient lies on the ground in cardiac arrest.

LOL. You should be on TV! Funny stuff. The rich got richer and the poor got poorer because the rich are expanding their income base and profits are up. Jobs going offshores is one reason for that but it's not the rich's fault, it's too costly here, the regs are too tough and like you mentioned...healthcare.

The poor get poorer because there are less opportunity, not because someone took money they didn't have to begin with. So the gap widens and does to this day since liberal policies are taking us in the wrong direction. Punishing the rich has never increased an economy that I know of but you must have an example?

So you're in favor of universal healthcare too? Glad we're on the same page.

The French Aristocracy also thought anyone pointing out their dependance upon the lower classes was hilarious [or seditious]. No doubt the gilded halls rang with great guffaws of laughter just before the Bastille was stormed..and heads began to fall...

So you're in favor of universal healthcare too? Glad we're on the same page.

The French Aristocracy also thought anyone pointing out their dependance upon the lower classes was hilarious [or seditious]. No doubt the gilded halls rang with great guffaws of laughter just before the Bastille was stormed..and heads began to fall...
Apparently you can't read. Plus you have it ass backwards, the poor live off the rich and don't even contribute to federal income taxes. Liberals hurt the economy then complain that the economy isn't sustaining the poor. It's senseless.

Those same assholes were saying yesterday that reduced taxes don't increase spending...I guess only free shit and EBT cards increase spending. Who knew?

Learn to write before you rant. People might have some idea of what you're whining about.
learn to comprehend what is written before putting your foot into your mouth....:ahole-1:

Forum List

Back