Starting a new money making project

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
Screenshot_20210325-104818_Samsung Internet.jpg

Been looking for a table like this for my new deck. They range in price from 900 to 2k depending on the wood used. So I decided to buy prints and make it myself. Then I realized it's only about 300 in materials and a day and a half to build and finish.
That's nearly a thousand dollars per table profit if I sold it instead. So naturally I posted on Facebook groups out of curiosity and was flooded with inquiries almost instantly. Lots of requests for child size as well.

So, off to the races we go. Would be pretty cool if I could do this instead of back breaking bathroom remodels. If nothing else I can make some decent side cash doing something from home.

Oh and the glass got installed on my last remodel. Here's the finished look.

FB_IMG_1616686712244.jpg

View attachment 472172

Been looking for a table like this for my new deck. They range in price from 900 to 2k depending on the wood used. So I decided to buy prints and make it myself. Then I realized it's only about 300 in materials and a day and a half to build and finish.
That's nearly a thousand dollars per table profit if I sold it instead. So naturally I posted on Facebook groups out of curiosity and was flooded with inquiries almost instantly. Lots of requests for child size as well.

So, off to the races we go. Would be pretty cool if I could do this instead of back breaking bathroom remodels. If nothing else I can make some decent side cash doing something from home.

View attachment 472175
I had a friend in Post Falls Id. who made and sold picnic tables. Just putting a set out on the frontage by his house, he was able to clear $70,000 a year..in the 90's..pre-internet!
After a while he expanded into all sorts of outdoor furniture stuff--like outdoor playground stuff~

Good luck with the new venture

View attachment 472172

View attachment 472175
dont steal my thunder,, I was planning on making yard furniture this yr out of treated and cedar wood,,

but you will have a step up on me since I got my shop rent more than dbl this yr and am building a big shop at home thats going to take a few months,,

take it and run,,
View attachment 472172

View attachment 472175

you stole my thunder,, I was planning to start making yard furniture this yr until my shop rent got more than DBLed, so now instead I get to spend it building a new shop at home,,

take it and run, I bet theres a good market and profit margin for good stuff,,

• Banned
View attachment 472172

View attachment 472175
dont steal my thunder,, I was planning on making yard furniture this yr out of treated and cedar wood,,

but you will have a step up on me since I got my shop rent more than dbl this yr and am building a big shop at home thats going to take a few months,,

take it and run,,
View attachment 472172

View attachment 472175

you stole my thunder,, I was planning to start making yard furniture this yr until my shop rent got more than DBLed, so now instead I get to spend it building a new shop at home,,

I'm going to work out of a 2 car garage for now

View attachment 472172

View attachment 472175

take it and run,,
View attachment 472172

View attachment 472175

I'm going to work out of a 2 car garage for now

I dont even have that,, and have had a 3000 sq ft shop for 19 yrs so have accumulated a lot of stuff and equipment,,

at that level you should be able to use craigslist and the local news letter for all your advert needs,,

• Banned
By the way my estimates were off on the material cost.
For pine I'm sitting at 393.00

Haven't priced cedar or other woods yet. Gonna start off cheap and focus on a nice finish first.

View attachment 472172

View attachment 472175
Always remember one thing........"You didn't build that"...sincerely, Barak

View attachment 472172

View attachment 472175
I had A great uncle who used to tell me kid

Kid always have more than one income

Go for it

Any wood workers on usmb? Real wood workers not weekend warriors. I can create the royal palace in a bathroom if the customer has the budget but raw woodwork to a finished salable product is new to me. Any brain I can pick could be beneficial

You do tile work and you can incorporate that into your designs for outdoor furniture...

This something you can do very well and you should make your own style...

I have built my own benches and it is relaxing enjoyable...

You do tile work and you can incorporate that into your designs for outdoor furniture...

This something you can do very well and you should make your own style...

I have built my own benches and it is relaxing enjoyable...
I do outdoor kitchens but my framework is always covered in concrete and stone so woodwork precision was never required

View attachment 472172

View attachment 472175

My experience is that the second one will take you half the time.

And the tenth one will take you half of that.

Best of luck.

Any wood workers on usmb? Real wood workers not weekend warriors. I can create the royal palace in a bathroom if the customer has the budget but raw woodwork to a finished salable product is new to me. Any brain I can pick could be beneficial

Don't know what I call myself....

But I would say jigs and templates make things a great deal easier.

By jigs....I mean things you can fit a piece into and know just where to cut so it fits up perfectly.

Don't know what I call myself....

But I would say jigs and templates make things a great deal easier.

By jigs....I mean things you can fit a piece into and know just where to cut so it fits up perfectly.
Yeah, I used a jig for assembly

20210329_134223.jpg

Taking longer than I anticipated. Got it all cut and "mostly" assembled today. Took yesterday off to finish absorbing Saturdays whiskey lol

Lots of staining and sanding before final assembly now.

Forum List

Back