"Start Conversation" won't recognize anybody's name

Your dream in life is to become a moderator here ain't it???

Maybe, if you pronounce "dream in life" as "greatest fear" .....

What kind of mod would you be? Loosey goosey or Stalinistic?

I mean you are a hall monitor on every board saying....Wrong section for this..........No content.....Off topic.......Etc

Interesting question.
Whelp, I consider myself a Liberal first and foremost, so I'd prolly put most of my energy into keeping channels of discourse open for all views on a given topic, and be vehemently against, say, a moderator shutting somebody down because they couldn't handle their adversary's point. Just for a random example picked completely out of the air having nothing in the world to do with anything going on right now. Beyond that I'd have to take part in the suppression of (actual) trolling when it threatens to break down the discussion. That's a dirty job but somebody's gotta do it, and it would be why I would dread having to do it.

The funner part of the job would be helping people out when they need it, as Winter just did for me.

Even though most people could give a flying fuck about a their, there, they're fuck up.

That is unfortunate. For them.

There's a chasm of difference between being a moderator and being a proofreader/editor. The former should never dabble in the latter. Obviously if I had to choose one or the other, I'd do the latter without a second thought.
My God I didn't ask for a dissertation.

Long ago and far away I was on another board, where a daily poster had a running thread called "The World's THINNEST Books" attributing a title to a noted personage.

For my name his title was:
"Brevity". :auiqs.jpg:

He was right. I get that. I admit it. You know it all goes back to my fourth grade English class... it was a sunny April day and we were yammer yammer words words

I ended up having to send an e-mail via the obscure "Contact Us" link at the lower right... :dunno:

I wrote out a message (at least one of you mods knows why) and attempted several times to Start Conversation --- every single time it returned an error saying "(whatever name/names entered) could not be found". Didn't matter how many or how few names I put in there, I pared it down to a single name (in this case WinterBorn which is obviously a real name) and it "could not be found". This makes it impossible to start a PM with anybody.

As an additional test I tried to send a test PM to myself. Soon as I click "Send" the name disappears. And I notice there's no drop-down suggestions appearing when typing the first few letters, e.g. usually if you type "@fla" you'll see FlaCalTenn appear. That doesn't happen. It DOES happen in the message body but won't show up in the address bar.

Of course, FlaCalTenn could be a hard guy to find, being simultaneously in three states...... :eusa_shifty:
Your dream in life is to become a moderator here ain't it???

What kind of mod would you be? Loosey goosey or Stalinistic?

I mean you are a hall monitor on every board saying....Wrong section for this..........No content.....Off topic.......Etc

Hey got an idea. How about you being moderator of the English Dept here. Grade our comments for proper word usage and everything. Even though most people could give a flying fuck about a their, there, they're fuck up. The post will never be read again for eternity after tomorrow.
I gave a shit about the whole English thing for a while but find stupid spell check was changing what I wrote so often I just gave up. After nearly throwing phone so may times I was just like if the phone has some thing to say just let the damn thing do it. My blood pressure has been better ever since. By the way that is another way the Simpsons predicted the future. There is an episode where Nelson could not get his text to come out the way he wanted and just gave up.

I ended up having to send an e-mail via the obscure "Contact Us" link at the lower right... :dunno:

I wrote out a message (at least one of you mods knows why) and attempted several times to Start Conversation --- every single time it returned an error saying "(whatever name/names entered) could not be found". Didn't matter how many or how few names I put in there, I pared it down to a single name (in this case WinterBorn which is obviously a real name) and it "could not be found". This makes it impossible to start a PM with anybody.

As an additional test I tried to send a test PM to myself. Soon as I click "Send" the name disappears. And I notice there's no drop-down suggestions appearing when typing the first few letters, e.g. usually if you type "@fla" you'll see FlaCalTenn appear. That doesn't happen. It DOES happen in the message body but won't show up in the address bar.

Of course, FlaCalTenn could be a hard guy to find, being simultaneously in three states...... :eusa_shifty:
Sounds like systemic racism to me.

Oh, and Covid. Every time something goes wrong these days someone just shrugs their shoulders, and says, "Yea, cuz of Covid"

Sounds like systemic racism to me.

Oh, and Covid. Every time something goes wrong these days someone just shrugs their shoulders, and says, "Yea, cuz of Covid"

You are correct I have no doubt. Also George Soros and his Jewish Space Lasers, the lamestream media and Literal E. Hitler.

Maybe they disabled that function. Most of the death threats I have received came that way.

Oddly, the only time I have received threats it has been on the open forum. But then, the person making the threat wasn't known for being particularly bright.
There's only been a couple on this board but back when this pastime was just getting started it was a common occurrence.
Any time I ever got a death threat I took it as a proud compliment and encouraged it more often. It simply means I did my damned job.
You? Getting someone so mad they lose their shit? I don't believe it.
LOLOL...................That went way over my head until I thought about it..BAWWWHAHA

I had a hard time when we first switched to Xenforo.. It's an obscure method of entering multiple names.

As you start to type the 1st name - there should be box appearing with suggestions for all valid names. When it settles down to the one you intended -- hit return or select it from the list. That one now has a box around it.. Proceed to do the same with the remainder of the list.

Each name in the box -- has an "X" to the right side if you want to delete. ALL names should be in a box before you hit "start conversion".

USUALLY, this function will recognize commas, semicolons or some other separator between names. This one MIGHT -- but I didn't ever experiment to find out..

Hope you didn't expect a reply from the IT techs.. They're the only ones picking up the mail sent to Forum Foundries..

Had to go test some stuff..

1) Cant send a PM to yourself. THat's not a "conversation" for most folks.. Maybe for you...... ???

2) A comma does work as a separator between names. But spaces do not. If you put four name end to end spaces -- it will be interpreted as one long name with a comma separating each name. So
Kat Winterborn Coyote will not be "found".. But Kat, Winterborn, Coyote will get to right mailboxes.

Or -- use the method in the post above to get there without commas.

Forum List

Back