"Start Conversation" won't recognize anybody's name

Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
I ended up having to send an e-mail via the obscure "Contact Us" link at the lower right... :dunno:

I wrote out a message (at least one of you mods knows why) and attempted several times to Start Conversation --- every single time it returned an error saying "(whatever name/names entered) could not be found". Didn't matter how many or how few names I put in there, I pared it down to a single name (in this case WinterBorn which is obviously a real name) and it "could not be found". This makes it impossible to start a PM with anybody.

As an additional test I tried to send a test PM to myself. Soon as I click "Send" the name disappears. And I notice there's no drop-down suggestions appearing when typing the first few letters, e.g. usually if you type "@fla" you'll see FlaCalTenn appear. That doesn't happen. It DOES happen in the message body but won't show up in the address bar.

Of course, FlaCalTenn could be a hard guy to find, being simultaneously in three states...... :eusa_shifty:

I ended up having to send an e-mail via the obscure "Contact Us" link at the lower right... :dunno:

I wrote out a message (at least one of you mods knows why) and attempted several times to Start Conversation --- every single time it returned an error saying "(whatever name/names entered) could not be found". Didn't matter how many or how few names I put in there, I pared it down to a single name (in this case WinterBorn which is obviously a real name) and it "could not be found". This makes it impossible to start a PM with anybody.

As an additional test I tried to send a test PM to myself. Soon as I click "Send" the name disappears. And I notice there's no drop-down suggestions appearing when typing the first few letters, e.g. usually if you type "@fla" you'll see FlaCalTenn appear. That doesn't happen. It DOES happen in the message body but won't show up in the address bar.

Of course, FlaCalTenn could be a hard guy to find, being simultaneously in three states...... :eusa_shifty:
Screening their calls...

You'll live

I wanted to see if the problem went both ways. I sent you a message. If you didn't get it, let me know here.

Maybe they disabled that function. Most of the death threats I have received came that way.

Maybe they disabled that function. Most of the death threats I have received came that way.

Oddly, the only time I have received threats it has been on the open forum. But then, the person making the threat wasn't known for being particularly bright.

I wanted to see if the problem went both ways. I sent you a message. If you didn't get it, let me know here.

Got it, pasted the original to a Reply and sent back. Hope it works.

Thanks again Winter.

Your dream in life is to become a moderator here ain't it???

What kind of mod would you be? Loosey goosey or Stalinistic?

I mean you are a hall monitor on every board saying....Wrong section for this..........No content.....Off topic.......Etc

Hey got an idea. How about you being moderator of the English Dept here. Grade our comments for proper word usage and everything. Even though most people could give a flying fuck about a their, there, they're fuck up. The post will never be read again for eternity after tomorrow.

Oddly, the only time I have received threats it has been on the open forum. But then, the person making the threat wasn't known for being particularly bright.
There's only been a couple on this board but back when this pastime was just getting started it was a common occurrence.

There's only been a couple on this board but back when this pastime was just getting started it was a common occurrence.
Any time I ever got a death threat I took it as a proud compliment and encouraged it more often. It simply means I did my damned job.

Any time I ever got a death threat I took it as a proud compliment and encouraged it more often. It simply means I did my damned job.
You? Getting someone so mad they lose their shit? I don't believe it.

You? Getting someone so mad they lose their shit? I don't believe it.
Ohhhh fuck. This place is so G Rated than the couple of absolute shit holes I've had the pleasure. I mean mosh pits with bite marks and rusty bloody razor blades in our shoes.

Maybe, if you pronounce "dream in life" as "greatest fear" .....

I mean you are a hall monitor on every board saying....Wrong section for this..........No content.....Off topic.......Etc

Interesting question.
Whelp, I consider myself a Liberal first and foremost, so I'd prolly put most of my energy into keeping channels of discourse open for all views on a given topic, and be vehemently against, say, a moderator shutting somebody down because they couldn't handle their adversary's point. Just for a random example picked completely out of the air having nothing in the world to do with anything going on right now. Beyond that I'd have to take part in the suppression of (actual) trolling when it threatens to break down the discussion. That's a dirty job but somebody's gotta do it, and it would be why I would dread having to do it.

I imagine I'd model after TheDoctorIsIn's famous insertion into one thread that said something like:
"I'm going to pretend I didn't read what I just read in this thread this afternoon..."

The funner part of the job would be helping people out when they need it, as Winter just did for me.

Even though most people could give a flying fuck about a their, there, they're fuck up.

That is unfortunate. For them.

There's a chasm of difference between being a moderator and being a proofreader/editor. The former should never dabble in the latter. Obviously if I had to choose one or the other, I'd do the latter without a second thought.

Last edited:

Maybe, if you pronounce "dream in life" as "greatest fear" .....

Interesting question.
Whelp, I consider myself a Liberal first and foremost, so I'd prolly put most of my energy into keeping channels of discourse open for all views on a given topic, and be vehemently against, say, a moderator shutting somebody down because they couldn't handle their adversary's point. Just for a random example picked completely out of the air having nothing in the world to do with anything going on right now. Beyond that I'd have to take part in the suppression of (actual) trolling when it threatens to break down the discussion. That's a dirty job but somebody's gotta do it, and it would be why I would dread having to do it.

The funner part of the job would be helping people out when they need it, as Winter just did for me.

Even though most people could give a flying fuck about a their, there, they're fuck up.

That is unfortunate. For them.

There's a chasm of difference between being a moderator and being a proofreader/editor. The former should never dabble in the latter. Obviously if I had to choose one or the other, I'd do the latter without a second thought.
My God I didn't ask for a dissertation.

I'd be a terrible mod because I would never moderate. At most I'd get another mod on it to take care of it.

Hey got an idea. How about you being moderator of the English Dept here. Grade our comments for proper word usage and everything. Even though most people could give a flying fuck about a their, there, they're fuck up. The post will never be read again for eternity after tomorrow.

Too funny :)

Forum List

Back