Staining Concrete

Concrete Blondes?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaJAxdGeZ4E"]YouTube - Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows[/ame]

Are they protein=based stains?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK3r9do126o"]YouTube - Deathstars - blood stains blondes*[/ame]

I've had it done. It's real popular in my neck of the woods. I love the way it looks. I didn't do it myself because I didn't want to deal with the chemicals and I'm extremely lazy. Of course, yours will be outside so you'll have a lot more ventilation and there's less chance of passing out from the fumes and dying an agonizingly painful death.

I tried stain, once, required 3 coats.Then I painted recently using BEHR outdoor with primer, one coat, after pressure washing. Excellent stuff! Got it at Home Depot, last paint job with the BEHR, was in 2002, same color without the primer.

power wash.....acid wash with murattic acid or compatible etching liquid recomended by the mfr of the concrete stain you are using.....stain the concrete and then seal it with thompsons....you can do designs and stuff....we use it all the time in our retail and restaurant work....

sometimes we sandblast a pattern into the concrete first....then stain....

I tried it once. Took quite a bit of alcohol, probably too dangerous for a young child.

Not to mention soap to wash it off.

power wash.....acid wash with murattic acid or compatible etching liquid recomended by the mfr of the concrete stain you are using.....stain the concrete and then seal it with thompsons....you can do designs and stuff....we use it all the time in our retail and restaurant work....

Was the concrete smooth (like a garage floor)? Is that why you used the muriatic acid? Our patio is 8 years old and in good shape but the stones are starting to show through, it has a few hairline cracks. We power wash it every spring (and bits of it wear away when we do this), it was finished w/a broom finish, and is very porous. We're trying to avoid the muriatic acid part . . . . would well-weathered concrete like ours stain well?

Hubs said to use a broom to apply; I say a sprayer to get the variegated look. I'm wondering if spraying the first coat, followed by a broom to work the stain in, then spraying again will achieve that look?

We don't want a 'painted' look at all and the stones/cracks showing just add character so that's good.

Was the concrete smooth (like a garage floor)? Is that why you used the muriatic acid? Our patio is 8 years old and in good shape but the stones are starting to show through, it has a few hairline cracks. We power wash it every spring (and bits of it wear away when we do this), it was finished w/a broom finish, and is very porous. We're trying to avoid the muriatic acid part . . . . would well-weathered concrete like ours stain well?

Hubs said to use a broom to apply; I say a sprayer to get the variegated look. I'm wondering if spraying the first coat, followed by a broom to work the stain in, then spraying again will achieve that look?

We don't want a 'painted' look at all and the stones/cracks showing just add character so that's good.

the acid wash is like priming.....you can use more nature friendly primers....check with your manufacturer.....well weathered should stain well....you could always test a corner and then put a planter over it if it doesn't work....as for application style...we use a mop and a bucket.....then wipe it down with a dry mop.....broom gives streaks and a roller and spryer are too unifor for my tastes...think of it like staining wood....slop it on... let it sit then wipe it down....

i strongly recomend little test areas before you do it.....

worst that can happen is you blow it...then sand blast it and top it with a colored concrete toping called ardex.....http://www.ardex.de/com/int_common/index_en.htm.....very uniform looking though.... these guys have some cool decorative patterns and colors....Decorative Concrete from Scofield - The #1 Ranked Brand in Concrete Color, Concrete Texturing Tools, Concrete Stain, Concrete Color Hardeners and more.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Ok, I thought I posted a response last night to manu's last post but I must have hit preview instead. <sigh>

The hubs was leery of the acid stain and was leaning towards acrylic. I don't really want a uniform look. After discussing it and looking at many videos, the hubs is coming around to the acid stain. :D It seems pretty straight forward.

Question: some videos/instructions I've seen have the stain being applied to dry concrete, others apply it to concrete that has been lightly wet with a mop (to keep a wet edge). Which is better or does it not make any difference?

Last edited:

Rip out the old, place it again, and add in stain color to new concrete. Will be better investment.

Rip out the old, place it again, and add in stain color to new concrete. Will be better investment.

True. The best way to stain concrete is to do it in the mixer that way when the inevitable chip and crack shows up it won't be as obvious.

Rip out the old, place it again, and add in stain color to new concrete. Will be better
investment.

True. The best way to stain concrete is to do it in the mixer that way when the inevitable chip and crack shows up it won't be as obvious.

Most of the time it troweled in after concrete is placed, less expensive method.

Rip out the old, place it again, and add in stain color to new concrete. Will be better
investment.

Most of the time it troweled in after concrete is placed, less expensive method.
I know but I'll spend the extra to get it "Wright".

Talk to a paint store manager or a consumer assistance office for a paint manufacturer. You might also call a concrete supplier and talk with them. Not all concrete stains would be compatible with a worn surface. The stain works by interacting with calcium in the concrete, so too many stones could make the final product unattractive.

There are products available to bond a new concrete surface to an old one, and a new one can have the stain mixed into it as an ingredient. This will usually give a more uniform look and the color will run throughout the new surface pour.

I'm a total HGTV slut. Good luck with your project!

Behr technical assistance info. They have people who are glad to help and answer questions:

Behr Technical Assistance - US
Mon. - Fri., 5:00 am to 8:00 pm PST
Sat. - Sun., 6:00 am to 5:00 pm PST
1-800-854-0133 ext. 2

Forum List

Back