Staining Concrete

This is why suppliers work behind the counter and get caught up in text book fantasies, even if they make field visits which are usually just an excuse to sell more materials to builders or hacks who don't know what they are doing.

Don't ever paint a garage or shop floor. Ever. Use a two part epoxy.....usually runs about $75/gallon but it's worth it because you won't have to mess with it for years. (Epoxies and paints are completely different products) Garages are usually not heated like homes and the mass in concrete (where ever it is) has an adverse effect on paint causing it to peel because the moisture pushes it up and off the concrete surface.

Moreover, vehicles are usually kept in garages and the weight in addition to the tires are a guaranteed way to rip the paint off. Now add in other factors such as motor oil, lawn mowers, snow blowers, etc. At the end of the day the surface of the floor has taken a hell of a beating from several different substances that all have toxic effects on paint. The epoxy is ten times more durable and can be cleaned repeatedly without the breakdown in paints. It also doesn't make much of a diff if the concrete floor is inside or out because it is always cooler than the air above it.

Concrete paint for shop floors is either a one part or two part epoxy ya moron.

1 part:
1-Part Epoxy Acrylic Concrete & Garage Floor Paint - Behr Paint

and 2 part:
Shop Rust-Oleum Professional Gallon Garage Floor Kit Gray PRO at Lowes.com

One part is easier to use, and is cheaper, but doesn't last as long. 2 part is better.

I don't stand behind a counter ya dope. :lol:

Your first link doesn't count because behr.....well basically.....is to paint what Budweiser is to beer. Look at your second link. Notice anything different? The word "paint" doesn't appear anywhere on the box or in the description. Know why?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:clap2: :clap2:

Ok, I thought I posted a response last night to manu's last post but I must have hit preview instead. <sigh>

The hubs was leery of the acid stain and was leaning towards acrylic. I don't really want a uniform look. After discussing it and looking at many videos, the hubs is coming around to the acid stain. :D It seems pretty straight forward.

Question: some videos/instructions I've seen have the stain being applied to dry concrete, others apply it to concrete that has been lightly wet with a mop (to keep a wet edge). Which is better or does it not make any difference?

read the mfr recomendations and do test patces where you will be able to hide them under planters....

I still think my asparagus idea would work the best..... If you're looking for a bright yellow finish.......

This is why suppliers work behind the counter and get caught up in text book fantasies, even if they make field visits which are usually just an excuse to sell more materials to builders or hacks who don't know what they are doing.

Don't ever paint a garage or shop floor. Ever. Use a two part epoxy.....usually runs about $75/gallon but it's worth it because you won't have to mess with it for years. (Epoxies and paints are completely different products) Garages are usually not heated like homes and the mass in concrete (where ever it is) has an adverse effect on paint causing it to peel because the moisture pushes it up and off the concrete surface.

Moreover, vehicles are usually kept in garages and the weight in addition to the tires are a guaranteed way to rip the paint off. Now add in other factors such as motor oil, lawn mowers, snow blowers, etc. At the end of the day the surface of the floor has taken a hell of a beating from several different substances that all have toxic effects on paint. The epoxy is ten times more durable and can be cleaned repeatedly without the breakdown in paints. It also doesn't make much of a diff if the concrete floor is inside or out because it is always cooler than the air above it.

1 part:

and 2 part:

One part is easier to use, and is cheaper, but doesn't last as long. 2 part is better.

Your first link doesn't count because behr.....well basically.....is to paint what Budweiser is to beer. Look at your second link. Notice anything different? The word "paint" doesn't appear anywhere on the box or in the description. Know why?

Really? You're fucking reaching. STFU and GBTW. I said that 1 part (behr) is cheap and doesn't last as long. Doesn't change the fact that painting concrete can be done using 1 part or 2 part epoxy.

Last edited:
Behr is to paint as Budwiser is to beer. :rofl: :rofl: Excellent analogy!

Have you decided whether your going to stain over old, or rip it out and start fresh?

Oh we're staining the old. We have neither the money nor the inclination to rip out what's there. If we wanted a lovely smooth look we'd do an overlay then stain that but we actually like the bit of stone that's showing from the old concrete. Since we're using a semi-transparent stain that will help tone down some of the hairline cracks that are there. But if it doesn't hide them very well that's ok too. We kind of like the 'used' look. lol

Ok, I thought I posted a response last night to manu's last post but I must have hit preview instead. <sigh>

The hubs was leery of the acid stain and was leaning towards acrylic. I don't really want a uniform look. After discussing it and looking at many videos, the hubs is coming around to the acid stain. :D It seems pretty straight forward.

Question: some videos/instructions I've seen have the stain being applied to dry concrete, others apply it to concrete that has been lightly wet with a mop (to keep a wet edge). Which is better or does it not make any difference?

read the mfr recomendations and do test patces where you will be able to hide them under planters....

We were actually thinking about testing it on the garage floor. I know, completely different texture and the stain will take differently but . . . . we need to get a sense of the color more than anything else. The stain we're going to use, you can use it full strength or dilute it up to 4:1 with water. So we want to play around with various strengths to get a general idea of what kind of shading/highlights we will end up with. There's no good place to test it on the patio. It's not a huge patio - the main part is about 14' x 28' and the side part (it cuts back from the main part about 6' or so; the patio mimics the shape of the house) is about 14' x 6'. Anything we'd test I'd rather it be bigger than something a planter would hide anyway so we'll probably just give the garage test a shot. I've done a good bit of decorative painting and mostly just want to get a feel for the sprayer and how the colors will look.

We were actually thinking about testing it on the garage floor. I know, completely different texture and the stain will take differently but . . . . we need to get a sense of the color more than anything else. The stain we're going to use, you can use it full strength or dilute it up to 4:1 with water. So we want to play around with various strengths to get a general idea of what kind of shading/highlights we will end up with. There's no good place to test it on the patio. It's not a huge patio - the main part is about 14' x 28' and the side part (it cuts back from the main part about 6' or so; the patio mimics the shape of the house) is about 14' x 6'. Anything we'd test I'd rather it be bigger than something a planter would hide anyway so we'll probably just give the garage test a shot. I've done a good bit of decorative painting and mostly just want to get a feel for the sprayer and how the colors will look.

Wait until your neighbor is at work, and then test in on theirs. LOL

(joking!)

^ :lol: If the guy doesn't stop parking his SUV in front of our house I just might!

We could test it on the sidewalks and piss off even more people!

1 part:

and 2 part:

Really? You're fucking reaching. STFU and GBTW. I said that 1 part (behr) is cheap and doesn't last as long. Doesn't change the fact that painting concrete can be done using 1 part or 2 part epoxy.

You kind of ignored:

Look at your second link. Notice anything different? The word "paint" doesn't appear anywhere on the box or in the description. Know why?

No worries...the STFU was awesome and since you actually recommended using Behr I doubt anyone is surprised you lack basic knowledge on the differences between 2 part epoxies and paints.......have a great day!

Have you decided whether your going to stain over old, or rip it out and start fresh?

Oh we're staining the old. We have neither the money nor the inclination to rip out what's there. If we wanted a lovely smooth look we'd do an overlay then stain that but we actually like the bit of stone that's showing from the old concrete. Since we're using a semi-transparent stain that will help tone down some of the hairline cracks that are there. But if it doesn't hide them very well that's ok too. We kind of like the 'used' look. lol

You could use anchor cement or the mortar repairs straight out of the bottle for the hairline cracks. Since you aren't looking for a smooth finish use a wallpaper roller or a similar tool to force the substance into the cracks. It will help keep them from opening up and allow a prepped surface for the stain application. You could also play with application layers for the worn look without worrying about surface integrity being compromised. Good luck!

You kind of ignored:

Look at your second link. Notice anything different? The word "paint" doesn't appear anywhere on the box or in the description. Know why?

No worries...the STFU was awesome and since you actually recommended using Behr I doubt anyone is surprised you lack basic knowledge on the differences between 2 part epoxies and paints.......have a great day!

WTF are you babbling about? You don't go say "I'm going to go epoxy my garage floor", you say "I'm going to go PAINT my garage floor".

Paint is a verb or a noun you fucking moron.

I have never had a problem with Behr paints or stains if the situation called for it.

I've come to the conclusion that you are nothing more than an attention starved douchebag. You don't care if the attention is positive or negative. In short, you are an attention whore. Here you are trying to pick a fight over a goddamn CONCRETE stain. Srsly, STFU and go seek professional help. This compulsion of seeking negative attention from others could be a sign of a serious psychological disorder.

radiomanatl-albums-funny-stuff-picture1604-curvelight.jpg

The trouble with overlay is it doesn't last.

You kind of ignored:

WTF are you babbling about? You don't go say "I'm going to go epoxy my garage floor", you say "I'm going to go PAINT my garage floor".

I have never had a problem with Behr paints or stains if the situation called for it.

I've come to the conclusion that you are nothing more than an attention starved douchebag. You don't care if the attention is positive or negative. In short, you are an attention whore. Here you are trying to pick a fight over a goddamn CONCRETE stain. Srsly, STFU and go seek professional help. This compulsion of seeking negative attention from others could be a sign of a serious psychological disorder.

This is my profession and product knowledge is key. I never write up contracts where it is stated the garage floor will be painted. Know why? I never use paint on garage floors. Your own link for the two part epoxy proved you wrong because the word "paint" never appears on the box or in the description. I don't give a shit if you got embarrassed because we are in the same field and a good portion of my business is based on helping homeowners correct errors made by hacks like you. Instead of admitting that maybe...just maybe....you were mistaken, you roll into a Dr. Phil moment to assuage the pains of your own insecurities. This is a cool thread so this will be my last post to you on this matter. Have a great day.

You kind of ignored:

This is my profession and product knowledge is key. I never write up contracts where it is stated the garage floor will be painted. Know why? I never use paint on garage floors. Your own link for the two part epoxy proved you wrong because the word "paint" never appears on the box or in the description. I don't give a shit if you got embarrassed because we are in the same field and a good portion of my business is based on helping homeowners correct errors made by hacks like you. Instead of admitting that maybe...just maybe....you were mistaken, you roll into a Dr. Phil moment to assuage the pains of your own insecurities. This is a cool thread so this will be my last post to you on this matter. Have a great day.

Paint - verb.
(tr) to apply (liquid) onto (a surface) her mother painted the cut with antiseptic

You are an idiot attention whore

The trouble with overlay is it doesn't last.

It does if you use correct prep and materials. The most common mistakes are to not clean the existing surfaces good enough and using only the topping mix. Doing it the right way costs 2x as much but lasts years longer.

Forum List

Back