Stacey Abrams Says She’d ‘Go Around Constitution’ To End ‘Racist’ Electoral College

I don't think you can go around the constitution. Even the interstate compact is problematic. No I think we need a new amendment to elect the President by popular vote.

We sure as hell don't need it but that's exactly what would be required. Good fucking luck getting it past 3/4 of the states, most of which would lose their representation and authority if the electoral college ended and all future elections should be decided by the most fucked up and out of touch states of New York and California alone.

It would not fundamentally alter the Republic.

I don't think you can go around the constitution. Even the interstate compact is problematic. No I think we need a new amendment to elect the President by popular vote.
I dunno. It's not deniable that the EC is premised upon the counting slaves as partial "people" for allocating congressional seats. That changed with emancipation and voting rights. But without counting slaves, there'd be no EC today.

The constitution gives states the power to select electors, and doesn't limit it. So, I don't see why the compact is unconstitutional. I think we'd be better off just agreeing to allocate EVs in each state according to proportional voting. That way in States like Wyoming an individual vote would be more powerful than an individ vote in say …. Texas or Fla. Or Calif or NY

Only leftists educated in public school could consider it "racist against black people" to give LESS power to the people who were at that time enslaving black people.
It gave MORE power to slave states, you git. But thanks for playing. LOL But it has no racist impact today.

I dunno. It's not deniable that the EC is premised upon the counting slaves as partial "people" for allocating congressional seats. That changed with emancipation and voting rights. But without counting slaves, there'd be no EC today.

The constitution gives states the power to select electors, and doesn't limit it. So, I don't see why the compact is unconstitutional. I think we'd be better off just agreeing to allocate EVs in each state according to proportional voting. That way in States like Wyoming an individual vote would be more powerful than an individ vote in say …. Texas or Fla. Or Calif or NY

Only leftists educated in public school could consider it "racist against black people" to give LESS power to the people who were at that time enslaving black people.
It gave MORE power to slave states, you git. But thanks for playing. LOL But it has no racist impact today.

Is that right? Before you claim victory on the basis of "I said this is true, so it IS!!!" feel free to show your work and explain how the 3/5 Clause gave more power to slave states.

Or dodge the question and thereby admit you're an uneducated halfwit. Your choice.

We sure as hell don't need it but that's exactly what would be required. Good fucking luck getting it past 3/4 of the states, most of which would lose their representation and authority if the electoral college ended and all future elections should be decided by the most fucked up and out of touch states of New York and California alone.

It would require the winner to be the popular winner, but I'm 64 and it's happened twice in my lifetime. LOL

but then today's conservative logic is the SC should block something that according to the text is constitutionally permissible. And at least the two newest members pride themselves on being textualists.

I don't think it's unconstitutional, but problematic in that a State could opt out if the States government decides to do so.

Is that right? Before you claim victory on the basis of "I said this is true, so it IS!!!" feel free to show your work and explain how the 3/5 Clause gave more power to slave states.

Or dodge the question and thereby admit you're an uneducated halfwit. Your choice.
I can't give you a brain. You'll have to work out how giving slave states more reps increased their power all on your own, birdbrain.

It would require the winner to be the popular winner, but I'm 64 and it's happened twice in my lifetime. LOL

but then today's conservative logic is the SC should block something that according to the text is constitutionally permissible. And at least the two newest members pride themselves on being textualists.

Problem is, there are always limits on rights and powers. There are good arguments against a state disenfranchising its own citizens in favor of residents of other states.

It's unconstitutional because there are 5 conservatives on the SC.

The SC doesn't have the authority to tell the State Legislators how to choose their electors.

I can't give you a brain. You'll have to work out how giving slave states more reps increased their power all on your own, birdbrain.

I just heard, "I've been caught in my lies, but I'm as big a coward as I am a fool!"

Your surrender is noted, and you are now free to tuck tail and run away. Buh-bye. :fu:

14th amendment would make it illegal for the govt not to give a marriage license for being gay.
Marriage is not a Right. We ban a lot of people and combinations from marriage, because society says to do so.
I would agree if the govt never got involved. But they did.
And one day sooner than later you’ll be able to marry a dozen 10 year olds.
I0 year olds? I hope not

Why not? Now you want the government to regulate marriage?

Mark
Umm no.
Saying gays shouldnt get married. Or someone couldn't marry 5 people IS regulating it.

I don't think it's unconstitutional, but problematic in that a State could opt out if the States government decides to do so.
I think that's so. I'm not sure that it's a reason for states not to enter a compact. The EC sort of evolved over the years, as has our need for it, since voters don't have any appetite for a king and lineal succession. But if we went popular vote for awhile and then tried to opt out again, we might be closer to a const amendment becoming something to seriously consider.

It's unconstitutional because there are 5 conservatives on the SC.

The SC doesn't have the authority to tell the State Legislators how to choose their electors.

Pretty humorous and ironic, the left suddenly concerned about the limits of the Supreme Court's power.

Do they still give the firing squad to traitors and usurpers ?

I think treason is punishable by hanging in the US, not that anyone ever gets tried, let alone convicted, for that any more.

To bad.

I know a good strong oak tree that would handle all that weight.

Just not sure if we can find a rope (might need a steel cable).

I think that's so. I'm not sure that it's a reason for states not to enter a compact. The EC sort of evolved over the years, as has our need for it, since voters don't have any appetite for a king and lineal succession. But if we went popular vote for awhile and then tried to opt out again, we might be closer to a const amendment becoming something to seriously consider.

Good points. Thanks.

Forum List

Back