Zone1 St Francis of Assisi

Skull

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2016
California
This powerful prayer of St. Francis of Assisi is known to millions:

Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where there is sadness, joy.

O, Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love; For it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; it is in dying that we are born again to eternal life.

This powerful prayer of St. Francis of Assisi is known to millions:

Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where there is sadness, joy.

O, Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love; For it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; it is in dying that we are born again to eternal life.
Nice sentiment from a rather odd fellow.

Every sinner who becomes a Saint is "rather odd".
If the stories I've heard are true, he qualifies. He wanted God to tell him where to preach so he would spin around until he was dizzy and fell down. Then he'd get and walk in the direction he fell. If he encountered people, he would preach to them. If he ended up in a forest he'd preach to the animals.

A short biography of St Francis, in which he mentions his sinful life; also an 8 minute video in the link:

St. Francis of Assisi - Saints & Angels - Catholic Online

"As he grew up, Francis became the leader of a crowd of young people who spent their nights in wild parties. Thomas of Celano, his biographer who knew him well, said, "In other respects an exquisite youth, he attracted to himself a whole retinue of young people addicted to evil and accustomed to vice." Francis himself said, "I lived in sin" during that time."

If the stories I've heard are true, he qualifies. He wanted God to tell him where to preach so he would spin around until he was dizzy and fell down. Then he'd get and walk in the direction he fell. If he encountered people, he would preach to them. If he ended up in a forest he'd preach to the animals.
I have read books on St F.. never heard this story

kinda comical.. lol

As I said, I read this a long time ago and can't swear it is true but it does make some sense. He refused to carry money and trusted God to provide for him.
I have struggled to trust God, but came to this point where I trusted on some things, not so much others.. We are all unique and have our own unique issues based on our experiences (I couldn't trust my own family, so that didn't help), but if a person wants to trust God more, he or she can work on that and God will help. We don't always appreciate how he helps.. but anyhow..

I have struggled to trust God, but came to this point where I trusted on some things, not so much others.. We are all unique and have our own unique issues based on our experiences (I couldn't trust my own family, so that didn't help), but if a person wants to trust God more, he or she can work on that and God will help. We don't always appreciate how he helps.. but anyhow..
I'm not a person of faith but I have to admire anyone who can commit so totally as St. Francis did.

Let's hope he is better than his namesake , the current anti Christ , Francis the Bull Shitter .

Academic. I love history and sociology. Christianity has had a huge impact on Western culture so understanding its evolution is important to everyone.
I wish everyone here had the same attitude. A lot of people criticize christianity and Catholicism in particular but don't bother to learn anything about it.

i feel like I'm talking to a wall sometimes.. :banghead:

I wish everyone here had the same attitude. A lot of people criticize christianity and Catholicism in particular but don't bother to learn anything about it.

i feel like I'm talking to a wall sometimes.. :banghead:
I've generally been amazed at how little many Christians know about their own religion. Their knowledge is often a mile wide and an inch deep.

Forum List

Back