Sports rant.

Ray9

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2016
I try to watch baseball with cardboard fans, but it is just not the same. If we get any football this year cardboard fans are not going to cut it. I was already disillusioned with knee taking and being held hostage to racism I never committed. Many sports, once escapes, have been hijacked by politics and were already losing me.

I have never been a big basketball fan. It is non-stop action to the point of boredom and the constant scoring is as monotonous as watching the hour hand on a clock for two and a half hours. Still, there are those who like it. The sport is eighty percent black and that by itself is not a problem. The problem with basketball is that it has become platform to accuse white America of being racist. That cannot continue if the sport of American basketball is going to survive.

In fact, no American sport will survive at profitable levels if politics infects it to its core. With a national health emergency underway now is good time to examine the social consequence of pastimes designed to be timeouts from the serious side of life that have become stages for trials and accusations. People might just eventually find something else to do with their leisure time.

The health crisis will abate but the commandeering of American sports by politics may mean that some will never recover to their former levels. People want to cheer and feel good. They do not want to be accosted by political activism.

American sports may have pressed the self-destruct button with Colin Kaepernick.

Last edited:
I hear you. I've been trying not to go mad watching this silly half baseball season. Guys in the dugout are wearing masks, the home plate umpire has a mask on under his mask. These guys will get lung fungus before they catch any flu.

Now the Brewers and the Dodgers and the Mariners have decided not to play because of "injustice" and Dominic Smith is literally crying over racial inequality. I'm actually embarrassed for them. What do they think this accomplishes?

I just want to watch a ball game, dammit.

I try to watch baseball with cardboard fans, but it is just not the same. If we get any football this year cardboard fans are not going to cut it. I was already disillusioned with knee taking and being held hostage to racism I never committed. Many sports, once escapes, have been hijacked by politics and were already losing me.

I have never been a big basketball fan. It is non-stop action to the point of boredom and the constant scoring is as monotonous as watching the hour hand on a clock for two and a half hours. Still, there are those who like it. The sport is eighty percent black and that by itself is not a problem. The problem with basketball is that it has become platform to accuse white America of being racist. That cannot continue if the sport of American basketball is going to survive.

In fact, no American sport will survive at profitable levels if politics infects it to its core. With a national health emergency underway now is good time to examine the social consequence of pastimes designed to be timeouts from the serious side of life that have become stages for trials and accusations. People might just eventually find something else to do with their leisure time.

The health crisis will abate but the commandeering of American sports by politics may mean that some will never recover to their former levels. People want to cheer and feel good. They do not want to be accosted by political activism.

American sports may have pressed the self-destruct button with Colin Kaepernick.
Nobody at my work is allowed to "sit out" in protest of this horrible country giving them a good job and excellent healthcare or they would be fired. Too bad the team owners are just like the pantywaist Democrat politicians

Thank you for another fine post, Ray. Nicely done. I'm no longer a fan of basketball or football, I could care less about these professional sports anymore. I'm still a baseball fan, because I've been a fan since 1969, and I'm a stat hound. I love keeping track of baseball stats, and there are a LOT of them. I'm still a fan of hockey, as well. I've been a fan since 1970, and the BLM crap doesn't seem to have hit hockey nearly as much as the other three major professional sports.

I've watched and listened to more baseball so far this season than I have in the past 2 or 3 season combined. The cardboard fans are silly, but haven't been any turn off for me. I do find it odd when the visiting team's pitcher throws back-to-back pickoff moves to first and there's no reaction of boo's. I can better live with that than past era's of baseball on Astroturf or listening to Tim McCarver.

I've watched and listened to more baseball so far this season than I have in the past 2 or 3 season combined. The cardboard fans are silly, but haven't been any turn off for me. I do find it odd when the visiting team's pitcher throws back-to-back pickoff moves to first and there's no reaction of boo's. I can better live with that than past era's of baseball on Astroturf or listening to Tim McCarver.
Astroturf was a intriguing novelty. Then it became a liability. And they kept it for a long while. It helped Pete Rose become the hits leader in baseball history. Although he would have still been a great player.

They've even managed to fuck up the NHL...I'm not watching any sports but Indycar and F1 until next year...And if those get ruined, there's always my complete collection of MST3K DVDs.

Not to be an elitist, but all of these demonstrations are stupid. The events that have sparked the protests are ambiguous at best, and the "victims" are uniformly dirtbags, who may not have deserved the death penalty for what they did, but clearly the world is a little bit better place without them. (Did George Floyd's life matter? Not much, truth be told). It would almost be REFRESHING if some truly-innocent Black guy were killed by a racist cop; at least in that case Blacks would have something legitimate to bitch about. But that hasn't happened in any of these recent, notorious cases.

The NBA/MLB players do not own the venues from which they preach, and the fans don't want to hear it. Like it or not, White Men - the main supporters of professional sports - are into facts and logic. These demonstrations fly in the face of the facts, and they have no logical basis. There are nearly a million PROPER arrests of Black males every year in this country, because that demographic commits seven to eight times as much violent crime as they would if criminality were evenly distributed throughout the population. It is INEVITABLE with a million arrests (and a multiple of that number in police encounters with Blacks) that a few Blacks will be shot&killed, as will some number of Police. A major effort to eradicate harm to Blacks from arrests would result in huge numbers of Black criminals remaining in society, where they can continue to victimize their Black brothers and sisters.

The idea that Blacks must live in constant fear of being wrongfully killed by Police is preposterous. Their own Black brothers kill many times more Blacks than the Police, or even "white" people as a whole.

I confess to a modicum of schadenfreude; I am a little bit pleased that these rich, spoiled, worthless athletes are inevitably harming their own interests by antagonizing the people who, in effect, sign their paychecks. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I love it.

I am the kind of sports "fan" that they don't want. I follow a few players in every sport and never pay to see anyone play. The loss of my support will be meaningless, but they've lost it.

My uncle won some free tickets to a Red Sox/Yankee game in the early 60's. He took my cousin and me to the game at Fenway Park. I had no idea what I was seeing, Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris both hit home runs in that game.

I saw history as it was being written but I had no idea of the import of what I witnessed up close. we had good seats. I could see their faces and even hear them speak.

They were supreme at what they did and they both died way too young. they should have taken better care of themselves. But those were different times.

Jackie Robinson had already broken the color barrier but he died young as well. They were icons, they were heroes and they were not Payed like athletes today.

People had a sense of kinship and and commaraderie with players back then. I don't think we can ever get that back.

The rant continues.

I often have to drive down to Tucson on business and I drive back listening to the games on the radio. I'm just happy to have something to listen to that is a bit different than the songs I've heard a thousand times. The few games I've caught on TV have been alright too. Its weird but not off putting.

yeah I havenever been able to stand basketball either for the exact same reason you said,boy you sure are brave watching baseball with cardboard fans,I can’t do it.

I hear you. I've been trying not to go mad watching this silly half baseball season. Guys in the dugout are wearing masks, the home plate umpire has a mask on under his mask. These guys will get lung fungus before they catch any flu.

Now the Brewers and the Dodgers and the Mariners have decided not to play because of "injustice" and Dominic Smith is literally crying over racial inequality. I'm actually embarrassed for them. What do they think this accomplishes?

I just want to watch a ball game, dammit.
The baseball players disappoint me they are willing to you and play in those conditions,I wouldn’t do it.im glad those teams have not decided to play but I wish it were for the right reason of having to wear a mask.

My uncle won some free tickets to a Red Sox/Yankee game in the early 60's. He took my cousin and me to the game at Fenway Park. I had no idea what I was seeing, Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris both hit home runs in that game.

I saw history as it was being written but I had no idea of the import of what I witnessed up close. we had good seats. I could see their faces and even hear them speak.

They were supreme at what they did and they both died way too young. they should have taken better care of themselves. But those were different times.

Jackie Robinson had already broken the color barrier but he died young as well. They were icons, they were heroes and they were not Payed like athletes today.

People had a sense of kinship and and commaraderie with players back then. I don't think we can ever get that back.

The rant continues.
I wholeheartedly agree.

OUT ON A LIMB: When NBA, MLB And NHL Players Picked Jacob Blake To Be Their Saint, They Chose Poorly.

The officer who shot Jacob Blake in Kenosha, Wisconsin, has been tried and convicted by Democrats, the media, and truth-be-damned activists before the case is resolved. It’s a mirror image of the Michael Brown shooting (the officer was cleared) in Ferguson, Missouri, and the death in Minneapolis of George Floyd (the officer has yet to go to trial). The difference is this time, pro athletes, pampered and well-paid, joined the mob.

They should be ashamed of their behavior. They quit on the employers who pay their soaring salaries, and estranged themselves from their fans, who provide the dollars the owners use to compensate the players.

The facts about the Blake case do not show a group of white officers taking advantage of a crisis situation so they could shoot another black man. Reports indicate a starkly different story – the policemen were there to protect a woman, a black woman, we’re assuming, based on what we’ve learned, from Blake.

Forum List

Back