Sports Question of the Day

Most of the bowls are actually meaningless (as are all college sports really) but if you're going to have the Peach Bowl...why not have the winner of it mean something?

What is meaningless about having the fourth place team of one conference play the fifth place team of another?

Don’t you want to know who will win?
Its also just as meaningless when the #1 team in the nation plays the #2 team in the nation. Does anyone remember who won the 1981 national championship? 1991? 2001?

Its all meaningless.

However, if you're going to try to determine who the best is...You get rid of the "tune up" games with Central Northern South Carolina State and Notre Dame and replace that game with a game that means something. You have the top 16 teams in the nation playing in the bowl games (just off the top of my head)

Sugar
Orange
Cotton
Rose
Fiesta
Peach
Independence
Liberty

This takes place on New Years Day. The next week, the 8 winners play, the next week the final 4 play then the week before the super bowl...the national championship game. The legacy bowls once again mean something. It just seems like an easy solution to make the bowls mean something. which they don't.
They have a four team playoff now. They should expand to eight
The rest of the bowls are meaningless
All of them are meaningless. I was just expanding it to give the legacy bowls some importance. 4 is fine.

WWS was great but I was partial to college football. Been to a shitload of bowl games since the 82 Sugar Bowl.
I liked the way the bowl games were set up in the old days and kept my eyes glued to the tv. Today, the only game that means anything is the championship game.
The other bowl games are second class.
Didn't it seem like the obvious solution would be to have eight bowl games starting the bracket in early January...that knocks it down to four around January 15, then the last Monday in January have the national championship game. Most of the bowls are actually meaningless (as are all college sports really) but if you're going to have the Peach Bowl...why not have the winner of it mean something?
Back in the day, there was no national championship game. The bowl games were played and then a team of sportscasters picked the best team. It was not as definitive as it is today, but my family and friends would look forward to the bowl games at the end of the year and the discussions as to which was the best, etc.,
before, during, and after a great dinner, knowing that any one of the 8 games could decide the national champion.
Those games used to mean something.
The champion of the Big Ten would play the champion of the PAC 10. The champion of the SEC would play the champion of the SWC. Gave you bragging rights and a claim to the championship.

WWS was great but I was partial to college football. Been to a shitload of bowl games since the 82 Sugar Bowl.
I liked the way the bowl games were set up in the old days and kept my eyes glued to the tv. Today, the only game that means anything is the championship game.
Didn't it seem like the obvious solution would be to have eight bowl games starting the bracket in early January...that knocks it down to four around January 15, then the last Monday in January have the national championship game. Most of the bowls are actually meaningless (as are all college sports really) but if you're going to have the Peach Bowl...why not have the winner of it mean something?
Back in the day, there was no national championship game. The bowl games were played and then a team of sportscasters picked the best team. It was not as definitive as it is today, but my family and friends would look forward to the bowl games at the end of the year and the discussions as to which was the best, etc.,
before, during, and after a great dinner, knowing that any one of the 8 games could decide the national champion.
True. But when you ended up with more than one undefeated team...you had this ambiguity over "what would happen if they played".

Or you end up with two reputable polls disagreeing...

The champion of the Big Ten would play the champion of the PAC 10. The champion of the SEC would play the champion of the SWC. Gave you bragging rights and a claim to the championship.
those were the days. Back when it was about fun as much as it was about winning. I really hated the affiliations though. The Southwest Conference Champion would play in the Cotton Bowl where it was usually cold and raining. Meanwhile the Rose Bowl was bright and sunny and had teams that just seemed so much better than the Razorbacks were.

I really hated the affiliations though. The Southwest Conference Champion would play in the Cotton Bowl where it was usually cold and raining. Meanwhile the Rose Bowl was bright and sunny and had teams that just seemed so much better than the Razorbacks were.

Now we get to watch the Whogivesafuck.com Bowl in Idaho.
Used to be college players could brag to their grandkids how they scored a touchdown in the Cotton Bowl.
How do you brag about scoring a touchdown in the Whogivesafuck.com Bowl?

True. But when you ended up with more than one undefeated team...you had this ambiguity over "what would happen if they played".

Or you end up with two reputable polls disagreeing...
I know, and no doubt one championship game solves that problem.

those were the days. Back when it was about fun as much as it was about winning. I really hated the affiliations though. The Southwest Conference Champion would play in the Cotton Bowl where it was usually cold and raining. Meanwhile the Rose Bowl was bright and sunny and had teams that just seemed so much better than the Razorbacks were.
Arkansas, aye?

There will never be a perfect bowl system. There will always be a team that is undefeated in a weaker conference that gets left out. Then you have teams that lose a couple early then put it together and by the end of the year could beat anyone. Or you have the prohibitive favorite who gets a couple crucial injuries at the end of the season. And then you have the money angle where host cities prefer teams like Ohio State or Penn State who have huge followings with beaucoup bucks. Or when you go with 8 teams, the ninth team thinks they're better than a couple of the top 8. There is no perfect system. But if you like college football, it's hard not too enjoy most of the bowl games. I agree that there is a lot of fillers in the early games and the solution is just don't watch. Personally I know-knew kids that played at Maine, Akron, Toledo, Miami of Ohio and Wyoming where the no name bowls they played in was the only time I got to see them. But you have to love the game first and I do. Also, there is much more to a bowl game than the football matchup. Personally, my favorite bowl is the Outback, in Tampa, and I've been to almost all of them..

Last edited:
I really hated the affiliations though. The Southwest Conference Champion would play in the Cotton Bowl where it was usually cold and raining. Meanwhile the Rose Bowl was bright and sunny and had teams that just seemed so much better than the Razorbacks were.

Now we get to watch the Whogivesafuck.com Bowl in Idaho.
Used to be college players could brag to their grandkids how they scored a touchdown in the Cotton Bowl.
How do you brag about scoring a touchdown in the Whogivesafuck.com Bowl?

True.

Arkansas, aye?
The Razorbacks always seemed to be playing in the Cotton Bowl when I was growing up.

Arkansas, aye?
The Razorbacks always seemed to be playing in the Cotton Bowl when I was growing up.
I talked to the greatest Arkansas coach of all time on the New Orleans city bus in 1982. Frank Broyles was doing the game with Keith Jackson and I'll always remember asking him who he liked in the game and he said "Penn State has too many weapons for Georgia". But it was the way he pronounced the word "weapons" that I'll remember most. I tried a bunch of times but I was never able to duplicate old Frank's accent.

Arkansas, aye?
I talked to the greatest Arkansas coach of all time on the New Orleans city bus in 1982. Frank Broyles was doing the game with Keith Jackson and I'll always remember asking him who he liked in the game and he said "Penn State has too many weapons for Georgia". But it was the way he pronounced the word "weapons" that I'll remember most. I tried a bunch of times but I was never able to duplicate old Frank's accent.

Keith Jackson was under-rated as an announcer.

Fum-BULLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

Old Saturday Afternoon Sports-"If you grew up in the 1970s and 80s, what was your favorite Saturday afternoon sports show and which was your favorite?"

View attachment 461829View attachment 461830View attachment 461831

I watched all three but started with Wide World of Sports. That anthology sports show thrust Howard Cosell into the spotlight as a boxing announcer. Who can forget the opening scene for Wide World of Sports showing the ski jumper crashing over the side of the trail. Truth is that man was not hurt very badly at all. But with Sportsworld, I can still see the show where they were hosting a weightlifting tournament and one of the participants was trying to do standing press and his knees gave out as he dropped to the floor and both knees blew out! It was ghastly.

My favorite was Franz Klemmer's victory at the 1976 Olympics in the downhill. He was the last skier and Jim McKay announced his try for the gold meddle. Klemmer was on one ski most of the time and almost fell off the course on several occasions, as McKay had me on the edge of my seat with his incredible coverage. Klammer won by .33 seconds.
That and the 1980 hockey Olympic match between Russia and the US. "Do you believe in miracles? "YESSS!" Al Michaels covered it.

Don't you miss the old days? :102:

No. I look forward to the new days.

Arkansas, aye?

Keith Jackson was under-rated as an announcer.

Fum-BULLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
Definitely underrated, but not by me for sure.

Arkansas, aye?
Frank Broyles was one of the best in history.

Old Saturday Afternoon Sports-"If you grew up in the 1970s and 80s, what was your favorite Saturday afternoon sports show and which was your favorite?"

I watched all three but started with Wide World of Sports. That anthology sports show thrust Howard Cosell into the spotlight as a boxing announcer. Who can forget the opening scene for Wide World of Sports showing the ski jumper crashing over the side of the trail. Truth is that man was not hurt very badly at all. But with Sportsworld, I can still see the show where they were hosting a weightlifting tournament and one of the participants was trying to do standing press and his knees gave out as he dropped to the floor and both knees blew out! It was ghastly.

My favorite was Franz Klemmer's victory at the 1976 Olympics in the downhill. He was the last skier and Jim McKay announced his try for the gold meddle. Klemmer was on one ski most of the time and almost fell off the course on several occasions, as McKay had me on the edge of my seat with his incredible coverage. Klammer won by .33 seconds.
That and the 1980 hockey Olympic match between Russia and the US. "Do you believe in miracles? "YESSS!" Al Michaels covered it.

Well good luck with that because all sports are now tainted in a major way...

Tainted how?

Tainted how?

Are you kidding? Just say Covid. I heard 25 college basketball games were cancelled yesterday because of covid. A UFC fight was cancelled last night because of it. MLB had to shorten its season because of it and the new season might be delayed and shortened. The NBA is playing without fans in attendance...the NFL was playing in multiple empty stadiums this past season and no one knows if fans will be allowed in 2021.Golf did not allow fans and still isn’t.

Do you still think sports are normal? Please...

Relax, Princess.

Tainted how?

Are you kidding? Just say Covid. I heard 25 college basketball games were cancelled yesterday because of covid. A UFC fight was cancelled last night because of it. MLB had to shorten its season because of it and the new season might be delayed and shortened. The NBA is playing without fans in attendance...the NFL was playing in multiple empty stadiums this past season and no one knows if fans will be allowed in 2021.Golf did not allow fans and still isn’t.

Do you still think sports are normal? Please...

COVID is affecting all society.

Major sports and college sports were among the first to forego profits and shut down events to protect fans and players

Forum List

Back