Spain

Whatever you do in Spain ....do not go to a bullfight, just too sad and horrible :(

If they have the better matadors fighting, it can be a truly amazing event.

Not for the bull.

If the matador gets killed by the bull, for a change, yes, he deserves it .... that'd be an amazing event in my opinion!:mad:

Bullfights are horrific and inhumane! they have been already banned in Barcelona! good for them...hope other cities in Spain and the world will follow their example. :clap2:

Catalonia's ban is very likely to be overridden by Spain's parliament. A new law is likely to be passed protecting bullfighting as part of the country's cultural heritage.

No one is forcing you to attend these events and rightly so. However if the idea of bullfighting upsets you then stay away from large scale farms and slaughter houses. Chickens, cows and pigs are often raised in conditions most would consider appalling. In the slaughter houses the animals know their fate and react with appropriate nervousness. Not pleasant.

You may want to become a vegetarian in order to not contribute to this state of affairs. But know that some are saying that plants also "feel" pain ( Tel Aviv University researcher says plants can see, smell, feel, and taste ). Seems you can't escape the fact that suffering is a part of life.

At least the bulls raised to fight in the arena are brought up in free range pastures. I've visited some in Andalucia, and it is fair to say that these animals enjoy a quality of life that those bred for meat production will never know.

Not for the bull.

If the matador gets killed by the bull, for a change, yes, he deserves it .... that'd be an amazing event in my opinion!:mad:

Bullfights are horrific and inhumane! they have been already banned in Barcelona! good for them...hope other cities in Spain and the world will follow their example. :clap2:

Catalonia's ban is very likely to be overridden by Spain's parliament. A new law is likely to be passed protecting bullfighting as part of the country's cultural heritage.

No one is forcing you to attend these events and rightly so. However if the idea of bullfighting upsets you then stay away from large scale farms and slaughter houses. Chickens, cows and pigs are often raised in conditions most would consider appalling. In the slaughter houses the animals know their fate and react with appropriate nervousness. Not pleasant.

You may want to become a vegetarian in order to not contribute to this state of affairs. But know that some are saying that plants also "feel" pain ( Tel Aviv University researcher says plants can see, smell, feel, and taste ). Seems you can't escape the fact that suffering is a part of life.

At least the bulls raised to fight in the arena are brought up in free range pastures. I've visited some in Andalucia, and it is fair to say that these animals enjoy a quality of life that those bred for meat production will never know.

Do not lecture me please!

I know exactly how I feel towards bullfighting.

"bullfighting is a loathsome “sport” and those who enjoy it are considerably lower on the evolutionary scale than the bulls."

Not for the bull.

"bullfighting is a loathsome “sport” and those who enjoy it are considerably lower on the evolutionary scale than the bulls."

Don't give it another thought and help yourself to another pork chop. The pig was only too happy to make the sacrifice for you. :lol:

Don't give it another thought and help yourself to another pork chop. The pig was only too happy to make the sacrifice for you. :lol:

I don't eat red meat.

I don't eat red meat.

Good for you. Hopefully all your friends feel the same way. You wouldn't want to associate with those less evolved than yourself.

Whatever you do in Spain ....do not go to a bullfight, just too sad and horrible :(

Thanks, but I'll maintain an open mind: I'll go to one then make a judgement about Bullfighting for myself.

The fact is, though, it is part of a culture, and to fly across the Atlantic to see a baseball game would be a little silly. The whole point of travel is to experience somewhere that is DIFFERENT.

I hope the PETA crowd doesn't show up to protest, but I bet that's what some will turn this thread into.

:eusa_hand:

Consider starting your own thread.

Not for the bull.

We got your opinion the first time you posted it. Then you posted it again. And Again. If anyone is lecturing, it is you.

Do you know anything else about Spain, Madrid, or the surroundings?

Last edited:
If you get a chance, go to one of the clubs that features flamenco. Everything from the musicians to the dancers make for a great evening. The locals can usually tell you the best places to go. Try to pick a small club rather than a larger concert venue if you can. The proximity to the artists adds to the experience.

Apologies for my earlier lapse.

If you get a chance, go to one of the clubs that features flamenco. Everything from the musicians to the dancers make for a great evening. The locals can usually tell you the best places to go. Try to pick a small club rather than a larger concert venue if you can. The proximity to the artists adds to the experience.

No apology needed.

I appreciate your mention of music. I really would like to find a non-touristy place to take in some Flamenco, or Spanish Guitar....I'd love to sit in the corner of some smoky place, puffing a Cubano cigar, drinking Rioja for a couple of hours late one hot Spanish evening.

I want to be Hemingway for a day.

Last edited:

No apology needed.

I appreciate your mention of music. I really would like to find a non-touristy place to take in some Flamenco, or Spanish Guitar....I'd love to sit in the corner of some smoky place, puffing a Cubano cigar, drinking Rioja for a couple of hours late one hot Spanish evening.

I want to be Hemingway for a day.

You are going to have a great time but that you already know.

Not for the bull.

But it's ok for you to lecture everyone else?

sights_madrid_486206.jpg

I went to a bullfight in Colombia a few years back.

I thought it was vile, but it was an interesting experience. Watching the crowd was the most amazing thing - they were as hugely psyched up as my football crowd.

I understand that in Spain the bull is no longer killed - whereas in Colombia it was a bloodbath.

Last edited:
Strange how bull fighting is celebrated as an almost integral part of Spanish culture and heritage (it even features on tourism flyers), yet the noble art of dog fighting throughout the rest of Europe is vilified.

Strange how bull fighting is celebrated as an almost integral part of Spanish culture and heritage (it even features on tourism flyers), yet the noble art of dog fighting throughout the rest of Europe is vilified.

Cock fighting is a unique part of Filipino culture, but is vilified elsewhere; much as both dog and bull fighting are rightly vilified across the civilised world.

I chose to see a bullfight, but have opted not to see cock fighting, and would never go to see a dog fight. All three are repulsive by nature.

Cock fighting is a unique part of Filipino culture, but is vilified elsewhere; much as both dog and bull fighting are rightly vilified across the civilised world.

I chose to see a bullfight, but have opted not to see cock fighting, and would never go to see a dog fight. All three are repulsive by nature.

I've attended many dog fights. But contrary to public perception, the vast majority of pedigree fighting dogs survive the ring. They're seen as investments. Some of which cost upwards of £12,000 each. Any dogs that are fatally injured are humanely dispatched by placing a live wire on their tongue. They're dead in the blink of an eye.

Forum List

Back