Southern Culture - Black Culture

LOIE

Gold Member
May 11, 2017
I found this interesting perspective on black culture in Ann Coulter’s book Mugged:

“After slavery, most of black America was starting at the bottom rung of social advancement. Not only that, but they had spent centuries in the backwoods culture of Southern hillbillies. Thomas Sowell points out that much of what is thought to be black culture is actually Southern “cracker” culture, imported from the Northern Provinces of the British Isles.

In his book, Black Rednecks and White Liberals, Sowell traces behavior patterns of various early Americans back to their original regions in the British Isles. Much of the Southern population was made up of eighteenth-century immigrants from the “Celtic fringe” – Scotland, Ireland and Wales. As Sowell demonstrates with a mountain of hilarious examples, the unique cultural attributes of these British highlanders included wanton and brutal violence, hair-trigger tempers, unalterable sloth, illiteracy and a total lack of respect for human life, including their own.

Today the only place we see this culture is on the TV show Cops and in the black underclass.

The people of the Celtic fringe were practically a different species from those who settled New England. Around the time of the civil war, more than 20 percent of the Southern whites still couldn’t read. The very word “cracker” is thought by some scholars to refer to the prideful boasting of the transplanted British highlanders. Remnants of their fighting spirit proved a boon to the U.S. military, but a few centuries ago, their skirmishes included fights that involved biting off noses, gouging out eyes, and ripping off their opponents’ heads. Far from objecting, local crowds would enthusiastically cheer the combatants on. It was in these colorful folkways of the Celtic fringe that southern blacks were marinated for centuries, but today are written about by 21st century sociologists as a specifically “black culture.”

These traits have nothing to do with Africa or the legacy of slavery. The quaint customs of southern rednecks came directly from their Scottish, Welsh and Irish ancestors and were passed on to southern blacks. The East coast-West coast hip-hop rivalry, with its “diss tracks” and shootings and murders, are not a distant echo from the plains of Africa, but a modern version of the Hatfields and Mccoys, with much greater use of the F-word.”

I personally have to wonder why these behaviors were referred to as “hilarious” and “quaint” when white folks did them, and are called something quite different when black folks do them. And why these very same behaviors are taken as proof that blacks are violent, inferior, stupid and unredeemable while for southern whites it was simply part of their unique culture.

I found this interesting perspective on black culture in Ann Coulter’s book Mugged:

“After slavery, most of black America was starting at the bottom rung of social advancement. Not only that, but they had spent centuries in the backwoods culture of Southern hillbillies. Thomas Sowell points out that much of what is thought to be black culture is actually Southern “cracker” culture, imported from the Northern Provinces of the British Isles.

In his book, Black Rednecks and White Liberals, Sowell traces behavior patterns of various early Americans back to their original regions in the British Isles. Much of the Southern population was made up of eighteenth-century immigrants from the “Celtic fringe” – Scotland, Ireland and Wales. As Sowell demonstrates with a mountain of hilarious examples, the unique cultural attributes of these British highlanders included wanton and brutal violence, hair-trigger tempers, unalterable sloth, illiteracy and a total lack of respect for human life, including their own.

Today the only place we see this culture is on the TV show Cops and in the black underclass.

The people of the Celtic fringe were practically a different species from those who settled New England. Around the time of the civil war, more than 20 percent of the Southern whites still couldn’t read. The very word “cracker” is thought by some scholars to refer to the prideful boasting of the transplanted British highlanders. Remnants of their fighting spirit proved a boon to the U.S. military, but a few centuries ago, their skirmishes included fights that involved biting off noses, gouging out eyes, and ripping off their opponents’ heads. Far from objecting, local crowds would enthusiastically cheer the combatants on. It was in these colorful folkways of the Celtic fringe that southern blacks were marinated for centuries, but today are written about by 21st century sociologists as a specifically “black culture.”

These traits have nothing to do with Africa or the legacy of slavery. The quaint customs of southern rednecks came directly from their Scottish, Welsh and Irish ancestors and were passed on to southern blacks. The East coast-West coast hip-hop rivalry, with its “diss tracks” and shootings and murders, are not a distant echo from the plains of Africa, but a modern version of the Hatfields and Mccoys, with much greater use of the F-word.”

I personally have to wonder why these behaviors were referred to as “hilarious” and “quaint” when white folks did them, and are called something quite different when black folks do them. And why these very same behaviors are taken as proof that blacks are violent, inferior, stupid and unredeemable while for southern whites it was simply part of their unique culture.

Because when white folk did then, was centuries ago, and blacks do it today.

It's colorful, removed in time and space, less so when you and/or people you know are getting hurt.

Our culture advances, obviously. Try to catch up

Your weekly white people are the problem thread. ..... :cool:

Nora Zeale Hurston wrote that bleached scarecrow under the table!

I fail to find "quaint" used in what you posted. Perhaps I am somehow overlooking that word. As far as "hilarious", one would need to read the examples used by Sowell in order to determine if they are indeed hilarious, which of course would be a subjective judgement.

What? White people claiming black culture as their own? What in the Rock n Roll?

I personally have to question why you subject yourself to Ann Coulter's writing. At all.

So cultures develop and evolve over time and can cross racial and ethnic boundaries; who would have thought?

What? White people claiming black culture as their own? What in the Rock n Roll?

Actually, this is the exact opposite, blacks claiming white culture as their own.

And I'm fine with that. WHy not?

Yeah, I forgot, all white people have to do is claim it and it' theirs. Like Columbus lol.

I take it you don't know who Tomas Sowell is?

He's a coon American like yourself. What of it? Do you know who the Popeyes lady is? She says the opposite.

Actually, this is the exact opposite, blacks claiming white culture as their own.

Yeah, I forgot, all white people have to do is claim it and it' theirs. Like Columbus lol.

He's a coon American like yourself. What of it? Do you know who the Popeyes lady is? She says the opposite.

He is a far better man then yourself. YOu are a piece of shit, obviously.

im-not-saying-i-hate-you-butiwould-unplug-your-life-3491695.png

The Popeyes lady is more of a man then you'l ever be.

Um, yeah, challenging my manhood will not push the buttons you are hoping for.

Oh, just following your lead there champ.

Oh, just following your lead there champ.

I merely pointed out that the situation was the exact opposite of what you claimed.

YOu are the one, that made it personal.

Pretty standard for a lefty that is losing the argument. Which is pretty much all of them, all the time.

I fail to find "quaint" used in what you posted. Perhaps I am somehow overlooking that word. As far as "hilarious", one would need to read the examples used by Sowell in order to determine if they are indeed hilarious, which of course would be a subjective judgement.
So
I fail to find "quaint" used in what you posted.

Our culture advances, obviously. Try to catch up
O.K. let's look at some of the advances. We continued our violence, fighting a bloody war on our own soil, then after we freed the slaves, we lynched them, burned down their churches and schools, terrorized blacks by burning crosses on their lawns, ran them out of neighborhood after neighborhood and into designated areas. We bombed The Negro Wall Street in Tulsa. We experimented on poor blacks in Alabama to learn more about syphilis. We beat, water hosed and arrested folks who dared protest our mistreatment of them. Now, we under educate, under employ and over segregate, and our discrimination is under the covers instead of out in the open. It has a violent effect on lives every day - currently. Our system of economic inequality breeds violence. We are quick to tell black folks in inner cities, where we have created an American Apartheid to behave themselves - to be like us - Yeah, I'm thinking that's not such good advice. I'm hoping to see them rise up and become their own best selves, much better than the example we have shown them.

Forum List

Back