Sono Sion

This company is making an all electric vehicle powered with solar cells imbedded in its exterior.

They claim they can sell it for $25,000 with no dealerships.
What happens when you get into a fender bender and your solar panels dont work anymore? Do you tow it to their headquarters to be fixed? What if you arent in their city? What if you arent even in their state?

What happens when you get into a fender bender and your solar panels dont work anymore? Do you tow it to their headquarters to be fixed? What if you arent in their city? What if you arent even in their state?
Yeah, an accident would pretty much total the thing that's for sure!! Maybe they could make it with a uber strong frame and replaceable solar panels? Snap on maybe. I dunno, I just thought it was an interesting concept. Never would replace a combustion engine but, you might never have to recharge the thing and at $25 grand it's much cheaper than current EVs that need to be charged. They have no options and, like Henry Ford, you can get any color as long as it's black!! LOL

Nothing new here, they've been developing photoelectric "skins" for things for a few years now, provided they get the light they need to maintain itself, the obvious problem being snow, if you are covered with snow then your body can't collect light, and of course, god help you if you crash--- any body damage and you are no longer just replacing a simple piece of sheet metal or plastic.

The problem still remaining though that if EV batteries die after 10 years and are half the price of the car to replace, then all EVs become disposable cars that must be thrown away (or given away) every decade for a brand new one! Hardly environmental.

But I DID appreciate the humor in the car having a feature to help "bale out" other stranded EV owners by being able to "share" some of your electric charge with them to get them back on the road, then leaving the BOTH of you needing to run immediately to the nearest charging station for a 30 minute to 2 hour charge to really get you up and running safely.

And unlike an ICE engine where many breakdowns can be fixed with a hairpin or some duct tape, when an EV breaks down, you are likely really DEAD in the water needing a whole new $25,000 battery "power plant."

Nothing new here, they've been developing photoelectric "skins" for things for a few years now, provided they get the light they need to maintain itself, the obvious problem being snow, if you are covered with snow then your body can't collect light, and of course, god help you if you crash--- any body damage and you are no longer just replacing a simple piece of sheet metal or plastic.

The problem still remaining though that if EV batteries die after 10 years and are half the price of the car to replace, then all EVs become disposable cars that must be thrown away (or given away) every decade for a brand new one! Hardly environmental.

But I DID appreciate the humor in the car having a feature to help "bale out" other stranded EV owners by being able to "share" some of your electric charge with them to get them back on the road, then leaving the BOTH of you needing to run immediately to the nearest charging station for a 30 minute to 2 hour charge to really get you up and running safely.

And unlike an ICE engine where many breakdowns can be fixed with a hairpin or some duct tape, when an EV breaks down, you are likely really DEAD in the water needing a whole new $25,000 battery "power plant."
They do say the solar panels are embedded and are protected with anti scratch surface. If it snows, the batteries in the car could get you going, I think it does have batteries. They are the same company making solar panels for public transportation. It really depends on the voltage those solar panels can put out and I am not confident they would put out enough to quick charge the batteries. From the link: