Something To Ponder Over. Do Lowes And Home Depot Have Enough Rebuilding Materials To Cover The Damage?

My_Chinchilla_Is_A_Racist

Platinum Member
Sep 17, 2022
Somewhere In Florida
I thought of this right after Ian blew through. You know that within 2 days, many if not all of our home improvement stores, especially all over the west coast would soon run out of everything. It's gonna be a bitch to buy all of those rebuilding materials for the home owners here. And most of it will likely just sell out after they restock. This is gonna suck for people who lost, or almost lost their homes, and also trying to find contractors.

I thought of this right after Ian blew through. You know that within 2 days, many if not all of our home improvement stores, especially all over the west coast would soon run out of everything. It's gonna be a bitch to buy all of those rebuilding materials for the home owners here. And most of it will likely just sell out after they restock. This is gonna suck for people who lost, or almost lost their homes, and also trying to find contractors.
you actually think that fema and the state government just shop at home improvement stores for disaster relief?

sunday was the first time i went to my Home Depot and there were no 2 x 4's,,,,i only needed 2 of them! whats gonna happen is all these contractors are gonna buy up stuff in mass quantites as their phones are ringing off the hook

sunday was the first time i went to my Home Depot and there were no 2 x 4's,,,,i only needed 2 of them! whats gonna happen is all these contractors are gonna buy up stuff in mass quantites as their phones are ringing off the hook

Initially, there will be shortages of materials at the outset, but, as people get things rebuilt, the shortages will mellow out, and people will be able to get things to build their projects that aren't home rebuilding connected again. Happens everytime a hurricane hits, the stores run out, more is made, shelves are restocked, and then life returns to normal. Florida has been hit my many hurricanes over the years, yet people continue to live and move there even in spite of it.

The market will adjust

Stuff from around the country will be shipped to fill the void
Yes, but the price will ratchet up, not just down there but everywhere, though never fall back to the already inflated prices before the event.

Initially, there will be shortages of materials at the outset, but, as people get things rebuilt, the shortages will mellow out, and people will be able to get things to build their projects that aren't home rebuilding connected again. Happens everytime a hurricane hits, the stores run out, more is made, shelves are restocked, and then life returns to normal. Florida has been hit my many hurricanes over the years, yet people continue to live and move there even in spite of it.
yes, i know, but this time we need so much stuff when u look at all of the buildings/homes that were taken out. unless home depot and lowes can relocate much of thier supplies to florida soon

Profiteering is against the law, and if someone is caught doing it, they are usually prosecuted.
That is not the definition of profiteering. That is the direct result of industry supply and demand, as production suppliers have to ramp up production to meet demand, incurring higher costs, passed on to wholesale and retail outlet. These wholesalers and retailer logically buy and sell to maintain average stocking level of their consumers average needs in mostly computerized buying and in some cases sales programs, to insure steady GPM return on investment, based on expected costs. To do otherwise is to take an intentional loss or fail to supply, putting them at a business disadvanage across the country or regionally at the very least. To price based on expected replenishment costs is not and unreasonable thing, in and of itself.

Here is the definition of profiteering: the act or activity of making an unreasonable profit on the sale of essential goods especially during times of emergency.

Laws are in place to protect consumers from profiteer and this ain't Florida's first rodeo.

isnt there a home depot on Mars? how many light years will it take to fly 6 trillion sheets of plywood here?

You're making the same mistake that Hans Solo did in Star Wars when he said that the Millenium Falcon made the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs. Parsecs and light years are measures of distance, not time. A parsec is roughly 3.26 light years. A light year is the distance that light can travel in a year which is 5.88 trillion miles. The speed of light is 186,000 miles/second.

If a person were traveling at the speed of light, how long would it take to get from Mars to Earth? Roughly 6 and 1/2 min.

That is.................as long as the space ships are fueled and ready to go.

The market will adjust

Stuff from around the country will be shipped to fill the void
Last bad hurricane, Maine had a good lumber year!

Market will adjust, prices will go up and initially, there will be shortages....

The whole worry is some of the construction material, may not be made in the USA.....

Surely concrete ingredients, and lumber is here or Canada....

But what about nails, screws and hurricane brackets, or roofing? Will supply chain issues come in to play?

And should they really start the rebuilds, before Florida passes even stronger building codes?

Last bad hurricane, Maine had a good lumber year!

Market will adjust, prices will go up and initially, there will be shortages....

The whole worry is some of the construction material, may not be made in the USA.....

Surely concrete ingredients, and lumber is here or Canada....

But what about nails, screws and hurricane brackets, or roofing? Will supply chain issues come in to play?

And should they really start the rebuilds, before Florida passes even stronger building codes?

I have noticed since COVID that it takes forever to complete a new home. Seems they start it and then it sits for months waiting for some key component

The Hurricane will not make things better

I have noticed since COVID that it takes forever to complete a new home. Seems they start it and then it sits for months waiting for some key component

The Hurricane will not make things better
Happened to my parents....they bought a lot across the street from their big ass home, to build a smaller home, 1/2 the size, so they could manage the upkeep in their old age....this was fall of 2019. They found a builder, picked out a model plan, made some adjustments and they were about 3 months in to the excavation and build when covid hit.... It took until December of 2021 for them to finally move in. The builder did as you said, worked on it a month, then gone for four months, rinse and repeat. They sold their other home in just a couple of days of it being listed, because new homes were hard to come by, and took forever to complete.

Forum List

Back