Something I Never Understood About Blacks In Regards To The N-word

fbj

Gold Member
Jul 10, 2014
Why do black people give white people so much power in regards to the N-word. It's just a word so why act angry and allow white people to control their emotions? That's why white people love using it because of how black people instantly become upset. When will a black person hear that word and laugh? 2064?

Seems they have done a pretty good job of taking the word away from white people. Try using it at work and see how long you last

Why do black people give white people so much power in regards to the N-word. It's just a word so why act angry and allow white people to control their emotions? That's why white people love using it because of how black people instantly become upset. When will a black person hear that word and laugh? 2064?

Watch 12 Years a Slave and get back to us on this. :thup:

But if blacks stopped getting mad the word would lose power right ?

12 years a shart said:

fbj said:

Not trying to hijack your thread, big guy, but have you seen the movie?

I'm myself not in the least a fan of political correctness. But seriously, it would answer your question.

12 years a shart said:

fbj said:

I'm myself not in the least a fan of political correctness. But seriously, it would answer your question.

It still doesn't make sense it will always be a word that white people can use to control the actions of black people.

If you are serious, then you would know that words can hurt, can demean, can be used to make someone feel less than human.

You're asking people to control their reactions, to the point of giving the opposite reaction of how they feel, and that's not always possible. I recoil when I hear it, whether from a white person or a black one. I don't always see it as a sign of racism, but of bad upbringing, like many other nasty words. They're the ones who say "fuck" every other word, too.

On the other hand, the word is losing its power, for many reasons. Most people don't expect manners, anymore, so the lack of such doesn't bother people as much.

Blacks "let" you call them N*gger for hundreds of years. It did nothing to take the power out of the word

Blacks "let" you call them ****** for hundreds of years. It did nothing to take the power out of the word

It is different, because they didn't "let" anyone call them that historically, and now, they can call the one saying "n!gger" any number of things back without much fear of being lynched.

(I say "much fear" not because I believe that white people are out lynching black people, but because in our society, anger can still erupt into an act of violence.)

12 years a shart said:

fbj said:

the shartler on the roof said:

fbj said:
It still doesn't make sense it will always be a word that white people can use to control the actions of black people.

I think the reason the "n" word may have so much provocative power in America today may have something to do with the fact that blacks can see vestiges of the word's negative connotations present in some of our most prominent contemporary institutions.

I'm not black myself, so I can't speak from experience to this, but here're two cherished American icons at which to look:

• The sports-industrial complex. Read enough books and/ or watch enough movies about the America's dark past with regard to slavery, and it may give some perspective or cause to reflect upon how blacks say the way they are treated like animals at an auction in both collegiate and professional sports is akin to slavery in America's early days.
  • The prison-industrial complex. I can certainly understand how some blacks feel when they say that private prisons are essentially nothing more than the new Southern plantations.

Though we do finally have a black president, it's not enough to wipe out the scars the "n" word has left on the minds of blacks today.

Last edited:
I remember n*gger being openly used till the late 60s. It was considered crude but you could still hear it in open conversations and TV

Finally blacks got tired of it and took a zero tolerance approach. If you used it you were going to get your ass kicked or lose your job. It moved from being openly accepted to a word worse than fuck

Blacks made the outrage up. They needed some catalyst to justify themselves and created the angst out of thin air.

If you are serious, then you would know that words can hurt, can demean, can be used to make someone feel less than human.

You're asking people to control their reactions, to the point of giving the opposite reaction of how they feel, and that's not always possible. I recoil when I hear it, whether from a white person or a black one. I don't always see it as a sign of racism, but of bad upbringing, like many other nasty words. They're the ones who say "fuck" every other word, too.

On the other hand, the word is losing its power, for many reasons. Most people don't expect manners, anymore, so the lack of such doesn't bother people as much.
I remember n*gger being openly used till the late 60s. It was considered crude but you could still hear it in open conversations and TV

Finally blacks got tired of it and took a zero tolerance approach. If you used it you were going to get your ass kicked or lose your job. It moved from being openly accepted to a word worse than fuck

12 years a shart said:

fbj said:

In a sense you may be correct. Simply because the people ( not just white) who do use that word or any other racial slur, typically lack intelligence, or any semblance of civilized social skills.(like some here)

That being said, if one is called that kind of name, before reacting, should realize that they are dealing with an idiot, and that no matter how severe an ass beating you give the idiot, they will still be an idiot.

Why does the use or non-use of such a word bother you?

Possibly seeking justification for using it,

Im Black and the word makes me laugh. No way I would ever give a white person that much power over me by acting like a fool over a name

Forum List

Back