Some teams don't care if they win

bill718

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2016
As a Seattle resident, I spent the last 45 years watching the Seattle Mariners purchase just enough talent to call themselves a major league team, and (with only a few exceptions) finish in the bottom half of their division, only to have management issue the same tired old statement at the end of the season, saying that they have some "great young talent coming up" They do this knowing full well they can count on legions of fans filing into the ballpark, sitting on their wide rumps with their little baseball caps on, watching the home team get ground down to yet another losing season. I'm sure the same can be said of at least 1/3 of the teams in major league baseball.

Now - - before you statistics freaks start throwing out your cherished numbers, ask yourself: With all this in mind, is it really a surprise major league baseball is losing fans??

Last edited:
As a Seattle resident, I spent the last 45 years watching the Seattle Mariners purchase just enough talent to call themselves a major league team, and (with only a few exceptions) finish in the bottom half of their division, only to have management issue the same tired old statement at the end of the season, saying that they have some "great young talent coming up" They do this knowing full well they can count on legions of fans filing into the ballpark, sitting on their wide rumps with their little baseball caps on, watching the home team get ground down to yet another losing season. I'm sure the same can be said of at least 1/3 of the teams in major league baseball.

Now - - before you statistics freaks start throwing out your cherished numbers, ask yourself: With all this in mind, is it really a surprise major league baseball is losing fans??
Yeah that and also the fans are sick of the big market teams like the Yankees and dodgers being able to buy the best talent.small market teams like the twins,padres,reds,mariners and padres,they don’t have the equal chance to compete with the big market teams anymore.back in the seventys and 80’s,it was unheard of for a player like Johnny cuoto of the reds to immediately sign with another team after being with the reds for just four years,had he been playing back then in thiose days,no way I. Hell would he have been with another team just four years later.these small market teams now are just minor league cities developing their players for the big market teams,the ones that have the best talent like cuoto that is.

I have a feeling the effect of COVID-19 on MLB is going to significantly limit the number of paying fans and thus the salaries of the players. If you bring the salaries way down, then the small market teams can compete for the top talent. Otherwise you will have the same half a dozen teams buying their way into the world series.

Baseball is unique insofar as talent is much harder to predict. Hall of Fame players are drafted in lower rounds. Mike Piazza was drafted in the 62nd round as a favor as I recall hearing. The development period for most players is very long as well as the fickle finger of fate playing a role. Players who may have done well in the Astrodome where the ball didn't carry may do less well at Minute Maid Park in Houston. Or vice versa. Football and Basketball have a better correlation between the drafting of players and the success on the field. There are few good reasons for teams like the Redskins or the Lions to be so perpetually bad. Especially when teams that virtually advertise that they are not going to break the budget do better. Look at the Steelers vs. the Redskins. Since 1990, Pittsburgh is 298-180-2; the 'Skins are 211-267-2. The Steelers have been to 3 Super Bowls during that time; the Redskins have been to 1. Still the Steelers who were drafting at a massive disadvantage relative to the Redskins have posted 87 more wins since 1990. What it comes down to in my mind is that the ownership of the 'Skins is interested in owning the Redskins...and that is where it ends. They have spent some serious money but it has been ill advised. The Steelers run their shop with an eye on the bottom line as well as winning.

Some teams don't care if they win

Obviously ...

joe-biden1-1-11.jpg

Yeah that and also the fans are sick of the big market teams like the Yankees and dodgers being able to buy the best talent.small market teams like the twins,padres,reds,mariners and padres,they don’t have the equal chance to compete with the big market teams anymore.back in the seventys and 80’s,it was unheard of for a player like Johnny cuoto of the reds to immediately sign with another team after being with the reds for just four years,had he been playing back then in thiose days,no way I. Hell would he have been with another team just four years later.these small market teams now are just minor league cities developing their players for the big market teams,the ones that have the best talent like cuoto that is.
The teams with huge local TV and radio broadcast rights have much more money to spend. The era of the Big Red Machine and The Lumber Company is over unless something changes.

The unfortunate part is that it is possible to have a profitable team that doesn't win. This was the case for some recent years in Pittsburgh, until the fans gave up on them. It looks to me like the Seattle team is somewhat entertaining and profitable. Why should the owner turn it into a money-losing proposition, for a CHANCE to win? Makes no business sense.

I have a feeling the effect of COVID-19 on MLB is going to significantly limit the number of paying fans and thus the salaries of the players. If you bring the salaries way down, then the small market teams can compete for the top talent. Otherwise you will have the same half a dozen teams buying their way into the world series.
Oh yeah for sure it will limit them,have you heard anything on mlb opening soon. I heard the nfl will carry on,that they will have limited seating like your talking about.

The teams with huge local TV and radio broadcast rights have much more money to spend. The era of the Big Red Machine and The Lumber Company is over unless something changes.
Yeah I know,I still can’t believe that all these years later after this all started in the 90”s,that it’s still the same way.why mlb does not do it the same way the nfl does with revenue sharing is beyond me.if the nfl operated the same way baseball did,there is no way in hell teams like the Steelers,packers and Vikings would be able to be in the playoffs year after year like they have the last 20 plus or so and had as much a chance to be in the Super Bowl as everyone else. By the way,is the nba the same way as the nfl is with revenue sharing.? I ask cause I hate basketball so I have never followed them but I am curious.

The unfortunate part is that it is possible to have a profitable team that doesn't win. This was the case for some recent years in Pittsburgh, until the fans gave up on them. It looks to me like the Seattle team is somewhat entertaining and profitable. Why should the owner turn it into a money-losing proposition, for a CHANCE to win? Makes no business sense.
Can’t blame the fans for giving up on them because this post just proves my point,the pirates stopped winning because they started losing their best players so of course they stopped winning when they had to let their starting catcher and their other best players go. Who wants to go to a ballpark like Pittsburgh and watch their team when the team keeps getting rid of their best players all the time.nobody.its the same way here in Kansas City with the royals.after they won the World Series,they let go of their best players and they are a joke again same as they were the past 20 years before then.letting go of Eric hosmer was the equivalent to them doing something like letting go of George Brett in the eightys,can you imagine how that team would have been all those years had they let go of George Brett.? They never would have won the division title and been in the playoffs three years in a row had they done that. The big red machine would never have been the big red machine as it was in the sixtys and 70,s,they never would have been able to Keep pete rose as long as they did,your pirates would never have won any World Series titles in the sixtys as they did if things back then were the same way as they are now. No way in hell.

Last edited:
Oh yeah for sure it will limit them,have you heard anything on mlb opening soon. I heard the nfl will carry on,that they will have limited seating like your talking about.
Nothing new on MLB other than doing all the games in Florida and Arizona without fans. There are rumors that opening day could be July 1st but it's just rumors.

Nothing new on MLB other than doing all the games in Florida and Arizona without fans. There are rumors that opening day could be July 1st but it's just rumors.
Yep have heard the same rumors as well

Forum List

Back