Some one ... Prove me wrong...

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
ABC news is passing this story along AS FACTS and I just want some proof.
"The images show a pattern of turbulent 'boiling' plasma that covers the entire sun. The cell-like structures -- each about the size of Texas -- are the signature of violent motions that transport heat from the inside of the sun to its surface,"
New solar telescope produces images of sun's surface with 'unprecedented detail'
OK.. Facts..
The Sun has 2,380,000,000,000 square miles.
How big is the Sun?
Texas has: 268,581 square miles... How many square miles is Texas? - Answers

So divide 2,380,000,000,000 square miles in the Sun by 268,581 Square miles in texas..
that would mean there are 8,861,386 cell-like structures each the size of Texas

So tell me does that sound reasonable based on this picture?
Again... this number is being spread by ABC news and did they actually do the math???
Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 6.03.14 PM.png

ABC is reporting a story from the National Science Foundation and quoted the NSF. It was not ABC that did the math but the NSF. If you would like to address their math I am sure they would be happy to explain it to you.

Here is the actual release by the NSF and it has contact emails at the bottom. Feel free to let us know what they say.

NSF’s newest solar telescope produces first images

Before you do that, I might suggest that the picture was not meant to be taken to exact scale but to just give a graphical representation.

So tell me does that sound reasonable

As an astronomer who has done his own solar imaging in both white light and Ha, my short answer is, YES.

Not sure what you are misunderstanding or disputing here. ABC has nothing to do with it.

So when you look at that image, do you see 8,861,386 cell-like structures -- each about the size of Texas?

As an astronomer who has done his own solar imaging in both white light and Ha, my short answer is, YES.

Not sure what you are misunderstanding or disputing here. ABC has nothing to do with it.

So when you look at that image, do you see 8,861,386 cell-like structures -- each about the size of Texas?

Across the whole of the Sun's surface, frankly, I'm surprised it isn't more.

Here is a years-old image of the solar granules (previous resolution) seen around a typical sunspot:

sunspot_vtt_big.jpg

Now consider that against the whole of the Sun's surface (approximate size of sunspot arrowed):

sun_friedman_1728.jpg

Not sure I see the problem here.

ABC is reporting a story from the National Science Foundation and quoted the NSF. It was not ABC that did the math but the NSF. If you would like to address their math I am sure they would be happy to explain it to you.

Here is the actual release by the NSF and it has contact emails at the bottom. Feel free to let us know what they say.

NSF’s newest solar telescope produces first images

Before you do that, I might suggest that the picture was not meant to be taken to exact scale but to just give a graphical representation.

Thanks for your info. My point is that common sense doesn't seem relative to the MSM, i.e. ABC News.
But the scientist who presented it stated "cell-like structures -- each about the size of Texas.
I would think that the MSM would be skeptical as I am but they are not. Just want to put out the news.

Just like the local news telling about the border wall collapsing due to the wind... but they never told us that the cement hadn't
been hardened yet!
Portion of US Border Wall With Mexico Falls Over Due to High Winds
But did the news finish the story?
Agent Carlos Pitones of the Customs and Border Protection agency told CNN the newly installed panels had been set in concrete that had not yet cured and the panels were unable to withstand the gusty wind conditions.
Portion of US Border Wall With Mexico Falls Over Due to High Winds | iHeartRadio
My point is both these stories are intended for the 30 second mind-set and as such form opinions that are passed off as
FACTS!

Here is a years-old image of the solar granules (previous resolution) seen around a typical sunspot:

View attachment 303509

Now consider that against the whole of the Sun's surface (approximate size of sunspot arrowed):

View attachment 303512

So you are telling me you are looking at the Sun's surface in the above attached full picture and that one dot is the size of Texas?
Do you see 8,861,386 cell-like structures -- each about the size of Texas?

Thanks for your info. My point is that common sense doesn't seem relative to the MSM, i.e. ABC News.
But the scientist who presented it stated "cell-like structures -- each about the size of Texas.
I would think that the MSM would be skeptical as I am but they are not. Just want to put out the news.

There is nothing to be skeptical of, you are an idiot that thinks the picture given was done to scale and not give just to represent what they were talking about. It would be impossible to do it to scale and still be able to see waht they were talking about.

You are the only moron that looked at it and thought ti was done to scale.

View attachment 303509

View attachment 303512

So you are telling me you are looking at the Sun's surface in the above attached full picture and that one dot is the size of Texas?
Do you see 8,861,386 cell-like structures -- each about the size of Texas?

I never said that. You need to read closer and obviously, you are missing something in all of this. The fact that they are getting resolutions down to the scale of Manhattan Island with the new Inouye telescope sounds about right.

Can you tell me what angular resolution that would be in arcseconds? Do you know how many arcseconds the Sun subtends in the sky? Do you know what an arcsecond is? If not, then you are way out of your league.

I think that statement was intended to compare the size of those light patches to something more human-sized ... "gee whiz, each light spot is the size of Texas" ... that's not the official sciency measure of spots ... and I think something of a disservice to the reader, Texas is tiny in the grand scheme of things, more startling to me is how small these granules are ... seriously, we've had flood basalt outbursts this size on Earth ...

Texas is 2 arc-seconds across as seen from the Sun ...

And 2 arc-seconds across as seen from the Sun is similar to a half dollar bill observed with naked eyes from one mile distance.

The complaint still is valid.

The right thing to do for pictures and graphics in science news is that these MUST include a legend clarifying that the image is just a simulation or that is not at scale but just for illustration purposes. Unfortunately the agenda usually is to create beautiful illusions so people get interested. However, science doesn't need imagination in order to be attractive.

The complaint still is valid.
False. The complaint arises from ignorance.

I agree ... false ... but for a different reason ... stupid people pay taxes, so stupid people financed this operation, I'm fine with presenting the results so stupid people can understand ... there's usually a link for further reading if one's interested ... nothing to complain about with this example ...

Forum List

Back