Some one please tell me how did they get the holy spirit in the OT ?

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
This is another question I can't figure out, stupid Paul says you need the holy sport in you to say the word out loud "lord" and the only way you can get the holy spirit in you is to be born again (Romans 10:9, 10:10)

So how does that work?

And how did they get the holy spirit in the OT if Jesus wasn't born and died yet to release his spirit? Read the book of acts.

Yea I know Genesis one says the spirit of God was hovering over the surface...

Moses placed his hands on Joshua and gave him the spirit (where did Moses get the spirit from? )

Luke 2:35 says some guy named simeon held Jesus up as a baby and he had the holy spirit in him. Mary and Elizabeth got the spirit with Jesus and John the Baptist in their womb..

And how did they get the holy spirit in the OT if Jesus wasn't born and died yet to release his spirit? Read the book of acts.

Acts and Romans aint in the OT. To my knowledge as a one time Jewish Saturday School teacher -- all the references are to the Messiah, and not the "Holy Spirit" of the Messiah. Because THAT story had yet to be written.

In fact, in Judaism, the spirit of the Lord is within everyone that believes in Him. And the ROLE of the Messiah is actually a pretty vague construct compared with the N,T,

Acts and Romans aint in the OT. To my knowledge as a one time Jewish Saturday School teacher -- all the references are to the Messiah, and not the "Holy Spirit" of the Messiah. Because THAT story had yet to be written.

In fact, in Judaism, the spirit of the Lord is within everyone that believes in Him. And the ROLE of the Messiah is actually a pretty vague construct compared with the N,T,
Let me clarify it..

If you read the new testament specifically the book of acts it says how you get the holy spirit, it was from Jesus dying , going to heaven and releasing him to us..

If you read the NT carefully many ways to get the Holy spirit by repenting and being baptised for example in Acts 2:38, or laying hands on people for some examples. Jesus got it from heaven after he was baptized by John.

But in the NT simeon had the holy spirit in him when he was holding Jesus as a baby ( think it was in luke 2:25)

Again if you read the old Testament people received the holy spirit and Jesus wasn't even born yet or died

More clarification in the NLT (I think) the holy spirit is all over the place in the two books of kings

I know one thing for sure. Catholics worship Graven Images.

And this ticks me off also I thought the Hebrew term for Christ ( Greek) was the messiah ? How come that term is never used in the OT which was written in Hebrew?

And this ticks me off also I thought the Hebrew term for Christ ( Greek) was the messiah ? How come that term is never used in the OT which was written in Hebrew?

Dont know the Greek/Aramaic direct translations. But the CONTEXT of the Messiah in the Old Testament was very broadly and vaguely defined. Nothing about working miracles or giving their life for our sins.

In fact, the biggest diversion from Judaism is that the OT concept of "original virtue"" that you had to MAINTAIN thru life got changed to "original sin" for which ONLY Christ could absolve you. THAT THERE -- means that the Jewish Messiah had other "mission plans" on Earth than dying for our sins.

Let me clarify it..

If you read the new testament specifically the book of acts it says how you get the holy spirit, it was from Jesus dying , going to heaven and releasing him to us..

If you read the NT carefully many ways to get the Holy spirit by repenting and being baptised for example in Acts 2:38, or laying hands on people for some examples. Jesus got it from heaven after he was baptized by John.

But in the NT simeon had the holy spirit in him when he was holding Jesus as a baby ( think it was in luke 2:25)

Again if you read the old Testament people received the holy spirit and Jesus wasn't even born yet or died

More clarification in the NLT (I think) the holy spirit is all over the place in the two books of kings

The Holy Spirt is one part of the divine persons of God and has always been. Understand of the Holy Spirt was fully revealed over time.

Dont know the Greek/Aramaic direct translations. But the CONTEXT of the Messiah in the Old Testament was very broadly and vaguely defined. Nothing about working miracles or giving their life for our sins.

In fact, the biggest diversion from Judaism is that the OT concept of "original virtue"" that you had to MAINTAIN thru life got changed to "original sin" for which ONLY Christ could absolve you. THAT THERE -- means that the Jewish Messiah had other "mission plans" on Earth than dying for our sins.
Thank you for your input, I thought though God made a mistake at the end of Leviticus and deuteronomy by the curse verses ( you break any commands you will not have eternal life)

Thank you for your input, I thought though God made a mistake at the end of Leviticus and deuteronomy by the curse verses ( you break any commands you will not have eternal life)

Reread it as that's not all at the what the curses say.

The Holy Spirt is one part of the divine persons of God and has always been. Understand of the Holy Spirt was fully revealed over time.
Another thing..

Isiah 61:1 in the NIV it says the spirit, Lord (meaning jesus) LORD (meaning God ) = trinity

But if you read the NLT it's messed up, Isiah 61:1 reads spirit , sovereign LORD and LORD

What the heck does sovereign LORD mean in this context?

Reread it as that's not all at the what the curses say.
I am glad your here tonight...

To me that's what it says???

If you follow every single law and command you will receive eternal life but if you break one little thing your doomed to hell per the curse

You worship Christmas trees what does that have to do with anything?

You telling me there was no Christmas tree in your church?
You mean Synagogue. And no. The Festival of Lights has no Christmas Trees.

This is another question I can't figure out, stupid Paul says you need the holy sport in you to say the word out loud "lord" and the only way you can get the holy spirit in you is to be born again (Romans 10:9, 10:10)

So how does that work?

Yea I know Genesis one says the spirit of God was hovering over the surface...

Moses placed his hands on Joshua and gave him the spirit (where did Moses get the spirit from? )

Luke 2:35 says some guy named simeon held Jesus up as a baby and he had the holy spirit in him. Mary and Elizabeth got the spirit with Jesus and John the Baptist in their womb..
You do not actually "Get the Holy Spirit"..........the Holy Spirit is the 3rd person of the Godhead. One can "receive the gift of the Holy Spirit of God" without being saved. One can receive "the gift of the Holy Spirit" when one is Baptized in the Holy Spirit, but Baptism in the Spirit is not a requirement of salvation. The Baptism of the Holy Spirit is referred to 2 times in Scripture. Peter said it was the same as the Baptism they (The Apostles of Christ) received on the Day of Pentecost after the Christ ascended into heaven after His death (Acts 10:44-46)

In more detail. (Acts 2:38-39) When a person repents and is baptized (water baptism); two things are promised, forgiveness of sin and receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for ALL CHRISTIANS. Neither promise is limited by time (the promises are eternal). How does one prove that its Water Baptism that is required as a requirement of God's plan for salvation and not baptism of the Holy Spirit? Baptism of the Holy Spirit (in Greek Baptism means submerged) only occurred 2 times in the entire Bible Acts 2 and Acts 10. The Holy Spirit fell upon Jewish Apostles of Christ on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2 just as Jesus promised they (the Apostles of Christ) would receive power from God after His death as a sign they were speaking and teaching truth from Heaven........the other Baptism of the Holy Spirit occurred in (Acts 10) at the house of a Gentile to prove that gentiles could also be saved though the teachings of Christ Jesus (this happened 10 years after the Day of Pentecost recorded in Acts 2)

Read what Peter declared about The Baptism of the Holy Spirit and its purpose. (Acts 10:44-48), "........While Peter yet spake these word, THE HOLY SPIRIT FELL ON ALL THEM WHICH HEARD THE WORD. And they of the circumcision (Jews) which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because on the gentiles also WAS POURED OUT THE "GIFT" OF THE HOLY SPIRIT............can any man forbid water (water baptism), that these shall not be baptized, which have received THE GIFT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT AS WELL AS WE (the Jews)?"

There are 9 gifts of the Spirit. Every Christian did not receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, but Every Christian was required to be baptized in water. Find one example of someone being accepted into the Christ's church/kingdom without being baptized in water. Of the 9 gifts of the Spirit there are 3 that remain today..........faith, hope, and charity. Every Christian is promised to receive a gift from the Spirit of God. One such Gift is FAITH........"faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God". All the scriptures (word of God) are inspired of God......thus, Faith is constructed by the Holy Spirit of God via the Word of God, i.e., the Bible in the Hope of Salvation........as evidence of these promised gifts of the Spirit one LOVES his fellow man as He loves himself. Faith, Hope and Charity(Love) are the remaining gifts of the Spirit.

Read the scriptures and submerge yourself therein, that is how The Holy Spirit of God, is found WITHIN YOU. As a promised GIFT.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back