Solid state batteries

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
Much promise with this technology, much work to be done. Many different battery technologies being developed now using many different materials. But one must always remember no matter how promising, what is easy to build in the lab may be an entirely different thing to produce.

I'm glad they came out with those. The batteries we use now made a hell of a noise when the generators in them started.

Much promise with this technology, much work to be done. Many different battery technologies being developed now using many different materials. But one must always remember no matter how promising, what is easy to build in the lab may be an entirely different thing to produce.

...and we need to build more fossil fuel and nuclear power plants to charge up the batteries.

I use the sun to charge mine.

Just think of all the new power plants we would have to build in the US if we transferred the fossil fuel energy available at the fuel pumps to power battery charging stations.

Poor ole Californaia can barely keep power going in the homes as it is now. Imagine the additional load those millions of vehicles would have.

Many of the stupid Moon Bats think that batteries produce energy or something. Very few of them know that all these batteries do is poorly store energy produced elsewhere. They are stupid like that.

Many of the stupid Moon Bats think that batteries produce energy or something.

Actually, batteries do produce energy in that they use chemical reactions to produce electron flow.

Actually, batteries do produce energy in that they use chemical reactions to produce electron flow.
That may be true for the first discharge. However, that energy savings is negated by all the energy it takes to produce and distribute the batteries.

After that electrons produced elsewhere are needed to get the ole electrons flowing again. There is always a loss.

That may be true for the first discharge. However, that energy savings is negated by all the energy it takes to produce and distribute the batteries.

After that electrons produced elsewhere are needed to get the ole electrons flowing again. There is always a loss.

Actually, when a battery is recharged, a reverse of the discharge process, the external power source causes the electrons bonded to the cathode in the discharge process to re-bond with the anode.

The electrons in the chemical ions that produce the charge remain part of the chemical make up of the battery.

Actually, when a battery is recharged, a reverse of the discharge process, the external power source causes the electrons bonded to the cathode in the discharge process to re-bond with the anode.

The electrons in the chemical ions that produce the charge remain part of the chemical make up of the battery.

Without recharging chemical reaction is pretty well dead. Recharging energy has to be produced elsewhere.

You aren't in denial about that are you?

I like the idea of battery run vehicles. However, L-I battery technology sucks. Solid state will be a little better.

I am not under the false impression that it it will save any energy. Batteries are an ecological disaster to produce and dispose of. The entire energy balance will not change much, just transferred from one location to another.

I think these stupid Moon Bats think that all our vehicles can be electric and recharged with solar and wind power as we all are living on the shore of Walden's Pond. They are idiots.

...and we need to build more fossil fuel and nuclear power plants to charge up the batteries.
Silly ass, the batteries will be charged by renewables, just as the Hornsdale 150 MW/hr plant in Australia is. In fact, cheaper, more energy dense batteries will speed the conversion to VPP's the world over.

Just think of all the new power plants we would have to build in the US if we transferred the fossil fuel energy available at the fuel pumps to power battery charging stations.

Poor ole Californaia can barely keep power going in the homes as it is now. Imagine the additional load those millions of vehicles would have.

Many of the stupid Moon Bats think that batteries produce energy or something. Very few of them know that all these batteries do is poorly store energy produced elsewhere. They are stupid like that.
Such a stupid ass you continue to be. LOL One of the problems with renewables is they continue to produce energy when you don't need it. So you turn them off, and that extends their payback period. However, with grid scale storage, whether by battery or any other method, uses that power, so you get a higher efficiency of use, as well as a far cheaper source of peaker power. And those homes in California need to be part of a VPP. That would solve a major portion of their problem.

Silly ass, the batteries will be charged by renewables, just as the Hornsdale 150 MW/hr plant in Australia is. In fact, cheaper, more energy dense batteries will speed the conversion to VPP's the world over.
What renewables? The solar and wind are piss poor sources.

Are you going to stay at home on a day when the sun in not shinning to power the county size solar array to charge up the batteries in you vehicle? You and everybody else?

What are you going to do in the middle of winter in most the US when the sun hasn't shinned for two months in a row?

Stop being an idiot.

All batteries are solid state in that they don't produce their electronic effect in a gaseous state, like a vacuum tube.
Most batteries have a liquid electrolyte through which the electrons pass on their journeys between the anode and cathode. In a solid state battery, that electrolyte is solid.

Without recharging chemical reaction is pretty well dead. Recharging energy has to be produced elsewhere.

You aren't in denial about that are you?

I like the idea of battery run vehicles. However, L-I battery technology sucks. Solid state will be a little better.

I am not under the false impression that it it will save any energy. Batteries are an ecological disaster to produce and dispose of. The entire energy balance will not change much, just transferred from one location to another.

I think these stupid Moon Bats think that all our vehicles can be electric and recharged with solar and wind power as we all are living on the shore of Walden's Pond. They are idiots.
Of course. Get a horse.

What renewables? The solar and wind are piss poor sources.

Are you going to stay at home on a day when the sun in not shinning to power the county size solar array to charge up the batteries in you vehicle? You and everybody else?

What are you going to do in the middle of winter in most the US when the sun hasn't shinned for two months in a row?

Stop being an idiot.
This is in billions of KW/hr produced by wind;

1632672232093.png

Forum List

Back