Solar Energy

There is already an Island fully operating on solar power.
Which island is that?? ... :cool:
Tesla_KIUC-Case Study-2017.pdf
With a goal of 70% 10 years from now, it won't be supplying this one for a while. Where is the island where it supplies all of it?
Tesla runs an entire island on solar power | Engadget Sorry I sent the wrong one
Interesting place to try it, a 44 sq. KM island with 790 people. OK. Interesting tech. Strange place to put the array, about 1/4 of the way across island from largest concentration of people and 3/4 of the island away for the 2nd largest concentration of people and the main airport with nothing but trees and what look like dirt roads where there are roads at all.

Yes and I am asking what you think about that. Do you think it could be larger than that?
8 million dollars to provide electricity for a few hundred people is extremely costly.
Especially since the weather on the island is very mild. So heating and air conditioning aren't really needed.
So basically, the solar power is only needed for house hold lighting, a TV or radio, and kitchen appliances. ... :cool:

Yes and I am asking what you think about that. Do you think it could be larger than that?
8 million dollars to provide electricity for a few hundred people is extremely costly.
Especially since the weather on the island is very mild. So heating and air conditioning aren't really needed.
So basically, the solar power is only needed for house hold lighting, a TV or radio, and kitchen appliances. ... :cool:
If I lived there, I would very much like to have household lighting, TV, radio, kitchen appliances, satellite communication and web access, and it did not cost me a penny for this experiment that benefited those people. Good going for Tesla and Solar City. :cool:

If I lived there, I would very much like to have household lighting, TV, radio, kitchen appliances, satellite communication and web access, and it did not cost me a penny for this experiment that benefited those people. Good going for Tesla and Solar City.
All paid for by me and you, the U.S. taxpayer. ... :cool:

If I lived there, I would very much like to have household lighting, TV, radio, kitchen appliances, satellite communication and web access, and it did not cost me a penny for this experiment that benefited those people. Good going for Tesla and Solar City.
All paid for by me and you, the U.S. taxpayer. ... :cool:
I did not read that. How do you figure?

Project funding was provided by the American Samoa Economic Development Authority, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Interior. Costs, are reported at $8 million.

Project funding was provided by the American Samoa Economic Development Authority, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Interior. Costs, are reported at $8 million.
I saw where American Samoa was give a 3.1 Million dollar grant as a one time shot deal, but that was not related specifically to Ta'u. I doubt that covered anywhere near the cost. If it makes you feel any better, TVA puts way more than that back into federal coffers annually and still provides about the cheapest power costs in the nation. So you got your money back from the the Tennessee Valley rural electrification project, a government program that worked and still does.:p

If I lived there, I would very much like to have household lighting, TV, radio, kitchen appliances, satellite communication and web access, and it did not cost me a penny for this experiment that benefited those people. Good going for Tesla and Solar City. :cool:
Do you like the recent tests on smart cities? I think someone is making an experimental one in Arizona but that could be wrong.

Does Solar energy show promise in keeping cities operational?

No.
What makes you say that?

Looking out my Chicago window at the snow, I get the feeling that a solar powered
Chicago would result in thousands of deaths and would also kill any businesses that
needed uninterrupted electricity.
What makes you say that? Chicago might be able to have people clear them off after snowfall. Do you think there is any way around that? Are there any power outages usually during winter? We had some in NW Indiana but not a lot so I am unclear what it is like in the city.

No.
What makes you say that?

Looking out my Chicago window at the snow, I get the feeling that a solar powered
Chicago would result in thousands of deaths and would also kill any businesses that
What makes you say that? Chicago might be able to have people clear them off after snowfall. Do you think there is any way around that? Are there any power outages usually during winter? We had some in NW Indiana but not a lot so I am unclear what it is like in the city.

Short, cold, cloudy days, a decent amount of snow.

Chicago run only on solar would be barely survivable.

Are there any power outages usually during winter?

Not usually, we have reliable coal, nuclear and nat gas plants.

No.
What makes you say that?

Short, cold, cloudy days, a decent amount of snow.

Chicago run only on solar would be barely survivable.

Are there any power outages usually during winter?

Not usually, we have reliable coal, nuclear and nat gas plants.
I sadly couldn't go to Chicago since the riots but it sounds quite nice at least in aesthetics. Would you support small amounts of solar generation in Chicago? Running street lights or even parts of the railway? I know some cities have started setting lights up with such tech but I'm not sure how supported it is. No one really talks about small things like that even though they have a cost and can make a nice change to the budget of cities.

Would you support small amounts of solar generation in Chicago?

If individuals want to overpay to install less reliable energy, they should be allowed.

Running street lights or even parts of the railway?

No. Silly idea in Chicago.

No one really talks about small things like that even though they have a cost and can make a nice change to the budget of cities.

It would increase costs and only benefit those connected to political insiders.

If individuals want to overpay to install less reliable energy, they should be allowed.

No one really talks about small things like that even though they have a cost and can make a nice change to the budget of cities.

That makes sense. Are there any energy improvements you would believe to be best or should the system operate as is?

That makes sense. Are there any energy improvements you would believe to be best or should the system operate as is?

Depends on how you define "best".

I have posted before on solar. Eilat is entirely solar powered during the day. But solar can not replace traditional plants at this time. We have much gas from the sea and it burns much cleaner than coal.

No.
What makes you say that?

LOL And there is no wind near Chicago, west or south of Chicago. LOL I have the feeling that you are being purposely stupid to make a point that fits your political luddite outlook. We can easily, using wind turbine, big wind farms, and distributed systems within in cities, and energy storage, easily run this nation on renewables. The steel mill I worked at has hundreds of acres of unused roof area. And the warehouse roof area in just little Portland is measured in sections.

No.
What makes you say that?

LOL And there is no wind near Chicago, west or south of Chicago. LOL I have the feeling that you are being purposely stupid to make a point that fits your political luddite outlook. We can easily, using wind turbine, big wind farms, and distributed systems within in cities, and energy storage, easily run this nation on renewables. The steel mill I worked at has hundreds of acres of unused roof area. And the warehouse roof area in just little Portland is measured in sections.

You're free to power a Chicago home with wind and solar.
You'll get awfully cold.......but at least you'll spend more.

Cost is a major factor in any energy generation. So what is the relative cost of generation;
1610826051161.png

New Topics

Forum List

Back