Sock puppets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogmaphobe

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2014
Or uh gun
I have read claims made countless times that moderators actions are completely limited by the rules of the site. The site rules are quite unequivocal about sock puppets, so if this statement were actually TRUE, then nobody would have sock puppets. The fact that the existance of sock puppets is openly acknowledged by staff means that this statement is obviously false, even as it is repeated time and time again.

My question is this: since you are definitely using your own discretion on whether or not to allow posters multiple accounts, what do you use to determine who gets one and who doesn't? Is it simply a matter of allowing friends to get away with things that those who challenge you don't, is it because of the politics involved, or what? I have just one account -- me. Your allowing others to have multiple accounts runs contrary to the stated rules of this site.

Last edited:
I'm out of the loop.

Exactly what is a "Sock Puppet" ?
A user with x number of usernames and moderators allow it.

Don't nearly ALL moderators have 2nd accounts in order to post their true opinions without dirtying their moderator accounts?

Perhaps we should embark on identifying which moderators own which sock Puppet accounts? :cool:

Don't nearly ALL moderators have 2nd accounts in order to post their true opinions without dirtying their moderator accounts?

Perhaps we should embark on identifying which moderators own which sock Puppet accounts? :cool:

One rule for thee but not for me is what you are saying?

Seems a familiar trend in our country these days.

Think about it.... we come here to vent. THAT IS ALL. No one's minds are changed. Ever.
If you get banned, you will be free to move on and do things that might actually make a difference.

I have read claims made countless times that moderators actions are completely limited by the rules of the site. The site rules are quite unequivocal about sock puppets, so if this statement were actually TRUE, then nobody would have sock puppets. The fact that the existance of sock puppets is openly acknowledged by staff means that this statement is obviously false, even as it is repeated time and time again.

My question is this: since you are definitely using your own discretion on whether or not to allow posters multiple accounts, what do you use to determine who gets one and who doesn't? Is it simply a matter of allowing friends to get away with things that those who challenge you don't, is it because of the politics involved, or what? I have just one account -- me. Your allowing others to have multiple accounts runs contrary to the stated rules of this site.

Sock puppets are force multipliers - just ask Larsky.

Think about it.... we come here to vent. THAT IS ALL. No one's minds are changed. Ever.
If you get banned, you will be free to move on and do things that might actually make a difference.

When I get banned - I get more things done.

And regret all the time I wasted.

Although I do laugh.

Exactly, and that is why posters have them. It isn't at all fair to allow them as they are used to gang up against a target and give the impression that a viewpoint is more widespread than it is.

Why are they allowed when the site rules state they aren't? Who gets to have them and who doesn't? What is the criteria being used to determine who receives that privilege?

Exactly, and that is why posters have them. It isn't at all fair to allow them as they are used to gang up against a target and give the impression that a viewpoint is more widespread than it is.

Why are they allowed when the site rules state they aren't? Who gets to have them and who doesn't? What is the criteria being used to determine who receives that privilege?

no idea.

Who cares?

Act with integrity, and let the management manage their bottom line the way they see fit.

IMO, the only reason the forum needs guidelines at all, is so that it can keep folks from becoming angry and being out of control.

Moderation and Administration is there for one purpose, to create traffic and increase revenue and viability of the site. It's not really there to keep members in check. That is just an illusion we construct for ourselves. That is the outward manifestation of what they are really doing. What they are really doing is making sure the site is . . .

b493ab85db252c3196d4aac87946b649.gif

If it doesn't stay in the black, NO ONE gets to enjoy it.

For those who post the most content, get the most views, and are gold supporting members, those who bother to have positive and frequent interactions with membership and with moderators, administration, and/or owners, what is it to you how, and/or why, they keep your free hobby going?

With power and responsibility come privledge. Most Americans don't really get that.

It's their sandbox, don't shit it in. :heehee:

. . . just my observations over the years. IMO.

I come here and then watch YouTube and read AP, Reuters, etc... to see which people have a clue and which people don’t.

Socks are not allowed on this board and we will get rid of them as they pop up. Here is the rub, proving that it is a sock.
There are methods we use to identify a sock (which I won't divulge). But, there are times where we can only guess it's a sock, and
have a gut feeling it's a sock, but can't prove it's a sock. So, we have to wait for it to make a mistake.
It has nothing to do with letting a good ol' boy, or good ol' girl get away with one. We don't work that way.

It isn't at all fair to allow them as they are used to gang up against a target and give the impression that a viewpoint is more widespread than it is.

This is a for the weak minded, and should not concern you. Even IF a viewpoint is widespread, does that make it correct? The time is coming soon, where a spoiled and corrupt viewpoint may, in fact actually be very widespread. I suggest you familiarized yourself with Aldous Huxley.

Anyone that has been here for more than six months already knows who has integrity, and who, either has none, or is easily led by government/corporate propaganda.

Keep a free mind, do your own thing, and be grateful that you are not in the ranks of the insane. And when it comes down to it? Who gives a rats ass if not a single person ever agrees with you, I never have.

Dignity is priceless, so is your own soul.

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."
~Marcus Aurelius

If the "sock" fits then wear it? Seems to me most of them are rather obvious—and often hilarious.

Socks are not allowed on this board and we will get rid of them as they pop up. Here is the rub, proving that it is a sock.
There are methods we use to identify a sock (which I won't divulge). But, there are times where we can only guess it's a sock, and
have a gut feeling it's a sock, but can't prove it's a sock. So, we have to wait for it to make a mistake.
It has nothing to do with letting a good ol' boy, or good ol' girl get away with one. We don't work that way.
There ya go Dog. . . so next time Rush is pushing Norton's VPN. . . you need to ask yourself a question. . .

dLY0ij2.gif

:auiqs.jpg:

I'm out of the loop.

Exactly what is a "Sock Puppet" ?
A user with x number of usernames and moderators allow it.

I used to be a moderator on the AOL Guitar "SIG" (special interest group).

One of the things we accepted when we took the gig was that we had to alter how we posted and, yes, many times we had to curtail our commentary, even in the face of profound stupidity...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back