So you think the government should have a say in marriage?

If they are or are not involved in marriage, the rules should be the same for gays and straights.

Just being blunt here, guy.

Here's the thing about marriage licenses... they are actually a major source of revenue for the states.

And putting an onerous requirement on them would be encouraging people to just cross state lines for marriage licences.

For instance, when IL required HIV screenings for couples applying for marriage licenses, the number of marriage licenses dropped, not because there was a huge number of straight couples with HIV back in the 1990's, but because it was an extra bother and expense and really, none of the state's damned business.

So after watching Indiana and Wisconsin get a lot of IL couples driving over, IL repealled the law because it was stupid.

What ever dude whatever watch out you wanted the government to force the issue now it might just backfire.

Here's the thing about marriage licenses... they are actually a major source of revenue for the states.

And putting an onerous requirement on them would be encouraging people to just cross state lines for marriage licences.

For instance, when IL required HIV screenings for couples applying for marriage licenses, the number of marriage licenses dropped, not because there was a huge number of straight couples with HIV back in the 1990's, but because it was an extra bother and expense and really, none of the state's damned business.

So after watching Indiana and Wisconsin get a lot of IL couples driving over, IL repealled the law because it was stupid.

What ever dude whatever watch out you wanted the government to force the issue now it might just backfire.

I'm pretty sure it won't.

Here's the more interesting question. Why do you care?

If gay marriage is legal, there's really no way it will effect you in any way, shape or form.

It's not like a gun ban, which probably would effect you, as it would remove your penis surrogate.

Frankly, I'd be indifferent to the gay marriage thing, except the joy I get watching religious wingnuts wince that no one is listening to their imaginary friend and what he thinks is icky...

I'm pretty sure it won't.

Here's the more interesting question. Why do you care?

If gay marriage is legal, there's really no way it will effect you in any way, shape or form.

It's not like a gun ban, which probably would effect you, as it would remove your penis surrogate.

Frankly, I'd be indifferent to the gay marriage thing, except the joy I get watching religious wingnuts wince that no one is listening to their imaginary friend and what he thinks is icky...
Gay marriage is not legal in my state You need to stop lying.

They already have a say, they've always had a say.

What constitutes a legal marriage is a matter of law and is thus the business of governments everywhere.

In Britain, for example, the law says that no one may marry under the age of 16. What's wong with that?

With a 60% divorce rate, isn't the worst idea in the world. But I think some religions already have this, Catholics I know for sure do. But the government getting into it? No. Government shouldn't be involved at all. Only reason they're allowed to is because of the 1400 or so adjustments to tax code and legal rights like visitation at hospital marriage affords.

Ideally, marriage should be a solely religious rite with no legal adjustments at all. That there are incentives to it is the government encouraging a religious practice. And while it isn't 'establishing or respecting a religion' it comes awfully close.

With a 60% divorce rate, isn't the worst idea in the world. But I think some religions already have this, Catholics I know for sure do. But the government getting into it? No. Government shouldn't be involved at all. Only reason they're allowed to is because of the 1400 or so adjustments to tax code and legal rights like visitation at hospital marriage affords.

Ideally, marriage should be a solely religious rite with no legal adjustments at all. That there are incentives to it is the government encouraging a religious practice. And while it isn't 'establishing or respecting a religion' it comes awfully close.

I have to disagree.

people get married who aren't of the same religion all the time.

Atheists get married to religious people or to other atheists.

Marriage as a legal framework creates rights and privilages under the law, and this is really what gays are fighting for, and they aren't going to settle for a "colored drinking fountain" called "Civil unions".

The Colorado bill would be a people's initiative. They get to vote on whether or not these classes are a good idea.

Does anyone know what divorce costs this nation every year?

I have to disagree.

people get married who aren't of the same religion all the time.

Atheists get married to religious people or to other atheists.

Marriage as a legal framework creates rights and privilages under the law, and this is really what gays are fighting for, and they aren't going to settle for a "colored drinking fountain" called "Civil unions".

True. Though I'd add that if a couple of different faiths marry they're not all that religious anyway since most every faith prohibits interfaith marriages.

It kind of reminds me of those guys who wanted to close the country club when they were told that blacks and Jews should be allowed to join.

Okay, let's be honest, you guys didn't have any problem with civil marriage until the courts started saying you had to let the gays have it as well.

Marriage has been a mess for decades, I believe it's a religious ceremony. The whole marry and right to marry is silly, the government gives you a license, the never deny the license, they never revoke the license, it's nonsense. Marriage is two people, through thick and thin, resolve their issues and continue until either one dies.

Today it's a piece of paper, you get tax breaks, and if it doesn't work out, he'll just throw it a way and move on to the next.

If it is public contract that brings perqs and responsibility and reciprocity under law, of course.

If it is public contract that brings perqs and responsibility and reciprocity under law, of course.

Civil union better fits the definition than marriage does, marriage to me is a religious ceremony. Just my opinion.

If one has a desire to wed in the Catholic church, one must attend a series of pre-marital classes, especially if your betrothed is not of the faith...

Anyway... I don't know that any entity, governmental or religious, need be involved in marriage in any official capacity.

The point is the can of worms has already been open at least in Colorado. Soon the government will dictate who can and cannot get married. Gays opened this can of shit.

Just dumb

Many religions require this, look how great that turns out. So now the govt want to guide people on the rites of matrimony based on faith in the govt???

The Colorado bill would be a people's initiative. They get to vote on whether or not these classes are a good idea.

Does anyone know what divorce costs this nation every year?

I remember over a decade ago, Louisiana was considering a two tiered marriage license...that one went bust, I believe.

Nope. Covenant marriage is legal in Louisiana, and since then has been legalized in Arkansas and Arizona. Several states are considering legalizing a covenant marriage. California is one of them. Far from going bust, it's growing.

Forum List

Back