So, What's Your Opinion On Early Voting?

Voting was already convenient with in person precincts, provisional ballots, absentee ballots, etc .. why does it need to be week or months long?

Why not? More time doesn't equal more fraud. I wish they had earlier cut-offs for mail-in/absentee voting and had a more efficient way to count them so that we wouldn't need to wait days to get the results.

I'm talking about showing up in person btw. Ohio's early primary voting starts on Wednesday. As long as I go in person, I don't really see a difference between going early and going on the day of. I especially find early voting to be easier since I'm not a big fan of crowds.
We need a federal law expanding it to one month before the typical election day (30 calendar days). In person or vote by mail. 6A to 6P every day for in-person voting.

What isn't discussed very often is that ballots often have any number of measures to vote for. Bond elections, state constitutional amendments, propositions, etc... These are not "they're bad, I'm good" types of decisions to make. Voters really need to be educated on these measures because quite often they are generational issues.

For just one example:

The Houston Astrodome.

The original $27 million general obligation bond that voters approved in 1961 to pay for construction of the world's first domed super stadium was paid off 12 years ago.
===

The piece was written in 2013. The payment of the bonds was something the residents of the County were paying for over 40 years.

It continues:

Of the $245 million the county owes on the Reliant Park complex, nearly $240 million - issued in 2002 for construction of Reliant Center and a cooling plant - has nothing to do with the Astrodome, at least directly.

Currently the Harris County owes a quarter of a billion on the football stadium that replaced the Astrodome. Nobody who voted will likely be alive when/if the final bond is paid off.

Anyway, citizens should think long and hard about approving these stadiums. When the final payment was made on the Astrodome, it was empty. Its likely Reliant Stadium will be a parking lot long before it's paid off as well.

I'm talking about showing up in person btw. Ohio's early primary voting starts on Wednesday. As long as I go in person, I don't really see a difference between going early and going on the day of. I especially find early voting to be easier since I'm not a big fan of crowds.
People should not be allowed to vote early. All that means is that these people aren't considering any facts or last minute changes to the race. They only vote in a partisan manner.

Early voting is an anathema to the concept of the people expressing their joint will by voting at designated times and places. Mass voting before Election Day is uninformed voting, and it is bad for democracy.

Forum List

Back