So we all heard about the menu IKEA had for Juneteenth that was so offensive

Rocko

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 30, 2011
NY
My question is why was it so offensive? Isn’t soul food part of black culture? What’s wrong with having a soul food menu on a day dedicated to the freedom of blacks?

watermelon and fried chicken is a cliche put forth by white people. Usually done in a bigoted manner.
IDK why they couldnt come up with something better than good southern cooking and fruit :dunno:

My question is why was it so offensive? Isn’t soul food part of black culture? What’s wrong with having a soul food menu on a day dedicated to the freedom of blacks?
I asked some black folks, and they told me it's mostly upsetting because the black employees didn't get consulted. It is their holiday, right? Not so much the food itself, which sounded delish.. Although fried chicken and watermelon is like TN said-- a standing joke to insult black people.
If they had been consulted, they might have ordered burgers, who knows.

But yes, they should have called in TN to do the cooking, for sure.

I asked some black folks, and they told me it's mostly upsetting because the black employees didn't get consulted. It is their holiday, right? Not so much the food itself, which sounded delish.. Although fried chicken and watermelon is like TN said-- a standing joke to insult black people.

Thats why they are upset?
Menu at my work is whatever the boss says. Maybe I should cause a National outrage over hamburgers and hotdogs next Friday.
"Im here today because my boss didnt ask me what i wanted to eat"
:lol:
And i agree. They should have asked me! lol

watermelon and fried chicken is a cliche put forth by white people. Usually done in a bigoted manner.
IDK why they couldnt come up with something better than good southern cooking and fruit :dunno:
I see your point

so now we have black holidays?? thats racist,,

1624560041397.jpeg

Face it, blacks like to bitch and moan about everything and call it racist.
If IKEA would have served meatloaf with green peas that day. The negro's would have complained that it was racist having white people's food being served on a black people's holiday. ... :cuckoo:

Face it, blacks like to bitch and moan about everything and call it racist.
If IKEA would have served meatloaf with green peas that day. The negro's would have complained that it was racist having white people's food being served on a black people's holiday. ... :cuckoo:
Next time, just ask them! I'm sure it was well meaning.

Next time, just ask them! I'm sure it was well meaning.
Why should everyone have to pander to them?
Many blacks have a huge chip on their shoulder and can't be happy no matter what you do. To them everything is racist.
The poster's IM2 and Asslips are perfect examples of this mindset .... :cool:
What's so hard about asking them how they want to celebrate their holiday?
That's not pandering.

My husband is white. He loves all the food on the menu. It's ridiculous to be offended by good food.

My husband is white. He loves all the food on the menu. It's ridiculous to be offended by good food.
He wouldn't get it about the fried chicken and watermelon. But it's not very smart to throw a lunch celebration and not ask them what they want to eat.

Watermelons are originally from Africa and I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised to learn that black people love fried chicken. A lot of people do. I don't care what race you are, fried chicken is good,

He wouldn't get it about the fried chicken and watermelon. But it's not very smart to throw a lunch celebration and not ask them what they want to eat.
Most job celebrations don't ask what you want

Most job celebrations don't ask what you want
so when are native americans, hispanics, asians, anglos, and all other ethnic groups getting their national holidays.

Forum List

Back