So Mueller Tells Trump Lawyers- We're Just Writing A Report

Geaux4it

Intensity Factor 4-Fold
May 31, 2009
Tennessee
in stages :21:

So that's i t? After a year all we just is a report? I thought impeachment was coming any day now

-Geaux

Mueller told Trump’s attorneys the president remains under investigation but is not currently a criminal target

Special counsel Robert S. Mueller III informed President Trump’s attorneys last month that he is continuing to investigate the president but does not consider him a criminal target at this point, according to three people familiar with the discussions.

In private negotiations in early March about a possible presidential interview, Mueller described Trump as a subject of his investigation into Russia’s interference in the 2016 election. Prosecutors view someone as a subject when that person has engaged in conduct that is under investigation but there is not sufficient evidence to bring charges.

The special counsel also told Trump’s lawyers that he is preparing a report about the president’s actions while in office and potential obstruction of justice, according to two people with knowledge of the conversations.

Mueller told Trump’s attorneys the president remains under investigation but is not currently a criminal target

Translation

We are just soaking this cash cow for whatever we can before an irate public shuts the party down.

Keep pissing away the taxpayer's dollars, Mueller. America demands to know why Trump got two scoops of ice cream instead of one, like everybody else.

So that's i t? After a year all we just is a report? I thought impeachment was coming any day now

-Geaux

Special counsel Robert S. Mueller III informed President Trump’s attorneys last month that he is continuing to investigate the president but does not consider him a criminal target at this point, according to three people familiar with the discussions.

In private negotiations in early March about a possible presidential interview, Mueller described Trump as a subject of his investigation into Russia’s interference in the 2016 election. Prosecutors view someone as a subject when that person has engaged in conduct that is under investigation but there is not sufficient evidence to bring charges.

The special counsel also told Trump’s lawyers that he is preparing a report about the president’s actions while in office and potential obstruction of justice, according to two people with knowledge of the conversations.

Remember, Trump will believe the last person he spoke to. Tell him a pack of lies, he'll believe, he gets off your back for 10 seconds.

Special counsels are allowed to lie to those they are investigating.

-Geaux

your o/p is a lie.

what they said is he's a subject, not a target.

how would you feel being a subject of a federal investigation, dum dum?

-Geaux

your o/p is a lie.

The money would be put to better use feeding Illegals.

-Geaux

your o/p is a lie.

like the millions spent on Benghaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzzziiiiiii!

or the 70 million spent going after a blue dress.

no, I figure turning over our foreign policy and electoral systems to Russia is worth looking at.

or is it ok that vlad has hacked our electrical grid and Donald is terrified of him?

why is Donald so scared of Vladimir? why do we find out about what Donald does vis a vis Russia from RT?

if this were a dem, you'd be losing it

-Geaux

Reductionist much?

It's still early. More importantly to me IS they finally admitted investigation into OBSTRUCTION of JUSTICE. Who in the WH would be subject to that investigation and those charges? Not the kids, Manafort, Papadopoulos, Bannon, Kelly, et al. Seems there is only one or 2.

PS NIXON was nailed for obstruction of justice.

-Geaux

your o/p is a lie.

no, I figure turning over our foreign policy and electoral systems to Russia is worth looking at.

or is it ok that vlad has hacked our electrical grid and Donald is terrified of him?

why is Donald so scared of Vladimir? why do we find out about what Donald does vis a vis Russia from RT?

Hey Benghazi helped stop Hillary being elected; money WELL SPENT!!!!!

:113:

Greg

Collusion is not even a crime this witch hunt should have never been started...Rosenstein needs to be fired today!

-Geaux

your o/p is a lie.

As I've stated more than once...both Parties are psychotic.
Now...feed the poor!

-Geaux

your o/p is a lie.

Greg
I disagree...The Liberals were simply Electoraled into submission.

-Geaux

your o/p is a lie.

Greg

so you think that we should spend any amount of money to get the treasonous orange sociopath out of office?

cool

-Geaux

your o/p is a lie.

Greg

no... they spent two years running down her numbers first. at least that's what Kevin McCarthy said.

and yes, she got 3 million more votes... or at least that's what Donald's supposed 70,000 votes in 3 states said.

-Geaux

After a year all we just is a report?
That, along with indictments and prosecutions where warranted, is all "we" were ever going to get. There have already been several indictments in association with the scope of the Special Investigator's charge.

One will recall that these were the marching orders Mueller was by Trump's personally nominated Deputy Atty General:
The Special Counsel is authorized to conduct the investigation confirmed by then-FBI Director James 8. Corney in testimony before the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence on March 20, 2017, including:
  1. any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump; and
  2. any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation; and
  3. any other matters within the scope of 28 C.F.R. § 600.4(a).
(Source)​

In so-called plain language, Mueller was tasked with investigating and issuing indictments in connection with the "Russia" matter and, as befits an organization tasked with enforcing the laws of the U.S., investigating whatever other potentially criminal activity/intents that come to his attention in the course of pursuing the "Russia" matter and issuing indictments as well for such crimes. As with any federal indictments, the charges levied and the cases supporting them must be rigorously developed enough so that a jurist won't concur with a defendant's request for dismissal of the charge(s) due to the prosecution's having failed to present probative evidence, with regard to its (the law's) burden of proof, of the charge(s) laid.

I thought impeachment was coming any day now
Hopefully, you've by now learned that only the U.S. House of Representatives can impeach the POTUS and federal judges. I assure you that people who understand the design of the U.S. government never thought Mueller or the DoJ would impeach anyone in any sense other than the most general one whereby "impeach" is a synonym for "charge," "accuse" and "indict." If you were thinking of "impeach" in that sense, well, several have happened...Flynn, Gates, Manafort, Papadopoulos, Pinedo and van der Zwaan come readily to mind.

your o/p is a lie.

Greg

no... they spent two years running down her numbers first. at least that's what Kevin McCarthy said.

and yes, she got 3 million more votes... or at least that's what Donald's supposed 70,000 votes in 3 states said.
I work the polls...cheating galore.
Thankfully, Nassau County is cleaning up the database.

With regard to a POTUS, a report is what a special counsel presents. That report may or may not inspire the Congress to impeach and remove the POTUS from office.

The reason for the report rather than simply charging the POTUS with crimes is that if the POTUS is found guilty, he'd then be a sitting president who sits in jail, assuming the sentence for the crimes includes jail time. Make of that what you want, but that situation is untenable. It introduces all sorts of Constitutional and pragmatic complications/questions that nobody wants to deal with. For example, insofar as only impeachment and Senatorial conviction can strip one of the position of POTUS:
  • Does the 25th Amendment apply in such instances? Does incarceration qualify as a form of incapacitation?
    • To the extent the president is held in custody during and after the trial, the Article III proceeding would effectively circumvent the 25th Amendment.
  • Must a jail/prison be set up to allow an incarcerated POTUS to continue to perform his duties as POTUS.
  • Does the VPOTUS obtain the "final say-so" on matters the POTUS cannot address due to being incarcerated?
  • Are foreign dignitaries supposed to meet the POTUS at a prison?
  • How does one resolve an Constitutionally existential paradox that no Founder would ever have anticipated -- that the character of the POTUS would be so depraved and political tribalism so pervasive and caustically entrenched that conscionable be the prospect that Congress would not remove a POTUS accused of actions and intents respectively tantamount and attendant to treason/sedition from office? One such gap is seen in the interplay/application of Article I and Article III of the Constitution in connection with charging and potentially sentencing a sitting POTUS.
It's important to note that the SCOTUS has never ruled on whether a sitting POTUS can be indicted on criminal charges. Consequently, were the U.S. (DoJ) to file charges, the matter would immediately go to the SCOTUS. If, instead, the U.S. presents a report, Congress has the opportunity to obviate the need to put the matter before the SCOTUS by impeaching and removing the POTUS from office, after which indictments can be laid and the judicial process carried out as it would be with regard to any other defendant.

People think the country is, by the banalities of political wrangling and infighting, distracted now. Having to in this time to resolve the Constitutional paradoxes presented by indicting a sitting POTUS could well rend the nation as surely as did slavery; however, this time round, the discord would have not something so simple as a Mason-Dixon line demarking the camps of the two sides of the matter. The U.S. would instead likely resemble Syria, Iran during the Shah's overthrow, War of the Roses England, the War of Austrian Succession throughout Europe (or, if one prefers, the Jacobite Rising part of it that occured in England and Scotland), Christianity during the Reformation or the Great Schism periods, or any other nation beset by deeply seated ideological polarization. So, no, nobody with a modest understanding of the Constitution expected that, with regard to Trump, the primary and initial deliverable would be anything other than a report.

Well, given what is known thus far and the closeness of Trump to its nexus, of course, Trump is a subject of the investigation.

The terms prosecutors use to describe the status of their investigations are several. "Subject" is but one of them, and nobody in their right mind, and certainly no defense attorney, would think that Trump isn't a subject of the investigation. "Subject," in a criminal investigatory context functions definitionally as does "canine" in a biological taxonomy context:
  • All beagles are canines, but not all canines are beagles.
  • All targets of an investigation are subjects of it, but not all subjects of an investigation are targets of it.
It's thus material to note that the attestation about Trump's status as "not currently a criminal target" was made in early March 2018. There simply is no way for us to know today whether that's changed or remains so.

Given the qualitatively vague nature of Mueller's team's assertion is of little use to discover now, though it may be later useful in constructing a timeline of some sort. One thing the WaPo's revealing that information does is give folks who focus on irrelevant details something to talk about.

Off-topic:
OP-er, are you a Log Cabin Republican?

I'm asking only because the garbe depicted in your current avatar personage reminds me of some of folks whose parades annually obtain news coverage..

upload_2018-4-3_23-59-39.png

view-of-a-group-of-leatherclad-men-during-the-annual-gay-pride-day-picture-id579236260

Pride-Parade-2017-46.jpg

Forum List

Back