So I hit a deer and totaled my wife's car two weeks ago

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
It was about 6 AM, pitch black outside, and the deer were in rutting season. The bastard was going at a full run and I didn't see him till I hit him. The damned airbag went off and the cabin filled up with smoke from charge. I pulled over and didn't see the deer in the road behind me. So I turned around and drove home while the car was still running. The car was a 2016 Nissan Versa that we bought new in 2017. It had about 150,000 miles on it when I hit the deer. I hit a deer last year with it, and did about $4,000 worth of damage. The insurance company paid to have it repaired, and the body shop did a good job. This time though, the insurance company totaled the car out. We got enough to pay the $5,000 we still owed on it, plus an extra $1,000. The car still started and ran when the guy came over to haul it off. I found out later that the deer wasn't quite dead. Someone called the Sheriff's Dept. and an officer shot it in the head. The deer's still lying out there in the ditch, but there are dead deer all along the roadsides here.

I kinda liked that Versa. It was a standard shift, and got almost 40 mpg. The wife named her "Vera."

deer wreck1.jpg

deer wreck2.jpg

deer wreck4.jpg

deer wreck6.jpg

So anyway, we found one just like it. 2014 model with only 50,000 miles on it. Standard shift too. We drove over to Keokuk, Iowa last Friday and picked it up. The wife named her "Vera 2."

vera1.jpg

It was about 6 AM, pitch black outside, and the deer were in rutting season. The bastard was going at a full run and I didn't see him till I hit him. The damned airbag went off and the cabin filled up with smoke from charge. I pulled over and didn't see the deer in the road behind me. So I turned around and drove home while the car was still running. The car was a 2016 Nissan Versa that we bought new in 2017. It had about 150,000 miles on it when I hit the deer. I hit a deer last year with it, and did about $4,000 worth of damage. The insurance company paid to have it repaired, and the body shop did a good job. This time though, the insurance company totaled the car out. We got enough to pay the $5,000 we still owed on it, plus an extra $1,000. The car still started and ran when the guy came over to haul it off. I found out later that the deer wasn't quite dead. Someone called the Sheriff's Dept. and an officer shot it in the head. The deer's still lying out there in the ditch, but there are dead deer all along the roadsides here.

I kinda liked that Versa. It was a standard shift, and got almost 40 mpg. The wife named her "Vera."

View attachment 561412

View attachment 561413

View attachment 561422

View attachment 561414

So anyway, we found one just like it. 2014 model with only 50,000 miles on it. Standard shift too. We drove over to Keokuk, Iowa last Friday and picked it up. The wife named her "Vera 2."

View attachment 561421

Looks like the deer you hit came to rest on the passenger side dash board

Man, glad to hear you're okay.

Hitting a deer can totally fuck up your day.

Back in April my daughter and I were on a cross country trip and hit a deer on US-20 in Iowa. I didn't see the damn thing until he came bounding out of the median. I was doing about 80mph when I stood on the brakes, and was probably doing about 65 when I hit it. Thankfully I caught it with the right front instead of hitting it head on, which looks to be what happened to you.

Had I swerved just a little to the left, I probably would've missed it altogether. But had I swerved just a little to the right, it might've killed us.

I was fortunate in that our airbags didn't deploy and that damage was minimum. I paid my deductible and USAA covered the other $2,800 of the repair and a rental.

I ran over a dead dear going to work about a month ago.........Was misty....pitch black and hard to see.......Came around the curve and ran right over it..........Was laying in the road........Only thing broke is now my air bag sensor is on and I know 2 of the sensors under the radiator are there.

Haven't fixed it yet.........but this is very common in the sticks where I live.

Glad you are alright and sorry about the car.

View attachment 561412

View attachment 561413

View attachment 561422

View attachment 561414

View attachment 561421

Vera sorry about your luck.

View attachment 561412

View attachment 561413

View attachment 561422

View attachment 561414

View attachment 561421
Deer whistles are sold in Georgia to prevent that. Easily installed on the front bumper for 10 USD.

Sounds like you need some hunters to bag a bunch of deer.

Deer whistles are sold in Georgia to prevent that. Easily installed on the front bumper for 10 USD.

Seen those a lot here. Some people swear by them, others say they don't work. I'll probably try them though.

Sounds like you need some hunters to bag a bunch of deer.

There's 1.2 million of those bastards here. They're pretty animals and I don't hunt them because I never cared for the taste of them. I'd eat them if I needed to, but the processing plants here charge about $120 and my freezer's always full of meat anyway. But I do let the neighbors do a deer drive though my property every year.

View attachment 561412

View attachment 561413

View attachment 561422

View attachment 561414

View attachment 561421
Deer 1
Vera 0

Looks like you were lucky not to get hurt.

Forum List

Back