So apparently two wedding rings is becoming a thing now

Marriage isn't what it once was, for better or worse. You can draw up a legal contract and be as good as married legally. Spending big bucks on the ceremony always seemed like a big waste to me, but it's more for the woman. I used to watch Judge Judy a lot, many cases were over the wedding, the color inside the cake was the wrong shade so her life is destroyed. The dude is always there in a state of shock.

Neither of my wives required me to fork over my money.

Yet where are they now? :D

I'm being cheeky, through and through. More seriously....yes, many women want to be independent and self reliant on the surface. But there are an assortment of social conventions, traditions, expectations, etc, that all trace back to financial resources. One way or another, women always regard men as a financial resource. Even if that's not what they think on the surface, it's just as much at their core as the biological need to eat. As long as they're getting the financial resources that they want, they'll be happy. The moment they aren't receiving their subjectively perceived value, all Hell breaks loose.

I won't go into more detail than that. It would be at least a 20 page thread in and of itself.

I feel the same about funerals.
4 years ago a dear friend and co worker died, his wife did not want a funeral. So she had a "gathering" in their large backyard of family and friends. The yard is fenced in, and hanging over the gate was a sign "Laughter is encouraged". In the invite she specifically stated she wanted to celebrate Dave's life, not drown in sorrows.
People took turns telling stories etc.
Best funeral I ever attended. I went home and told both my kids - THIS is the funeral I want.

Americans measure value by how much it cost. Weddings and funerals are two great examples of that. Americans will spend 5 figures on two events in their lives that no one wants to go to. Insanity.

Forum List

Back