Smells like queer spirit: How '90s punks Pansy Division blazed a trail as one of rock's first openly gay bands

iku

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2023

The San Francisco queercore band, whose debut album was released 30 years ago, even convinced another LGBTQ+ rock pioneer, Rob Halford, to come out.​

When singer/guitarist Jon Ginoli and bassist Chris Freeman of pioneering San Francisco queercore band Pansy Division burst onto the scene with their debut album, Undressed, in 1993, there was absolutely nothing else like them. One of the very first openly gay rock bands, they formed in 1991 right in the middle of the AIDS crisis, and almost literally laughed in the face of tragedy with their sophomoric but ultimately unifying and healing humor. Their NSFW songs — imagine, say, a gay Blink-182 —over the years have included “Bill & Ted's Homosexual Adventure,” “Touch My Joe Camel,” “The C***sucker Club,” “That’s So Gay” “Dick of Death,” “Blame the Bible,” and a riotous cover of Prince’s “Jack U Off” and Weird Al-style Nirvana spoof brilliantly titled “Smells Like Queer Spirit.”

Pansy Division (Illustration: Victoria Ellis for Yahoo / Photo: Reybee, Inc.)

This thread pegged the needle on my Gaydar. I for one won't be celebrating felching, anal sex, same-sex dick-sucking, carpet-munching, cross-dressing, and gerbils up the ass throughout the month of June.

I'll be celebrating the fact that I'm a sane, normal heterosexual male who's happily-married to a real woman, like my creator intended.

Last edited:

The San Francisco queercore band, whose debut album was released 30 years ago, even convinced another LGBTQ+ rock pioneer, Rob Halford, to come out.​

When singer/guitarist Jon Ginoli and bassist Chris Freeman of pioneering San Francisco queercore band Pansy Division burst onto the scene with their debut album, Undressed, in 1993, there was absolutely nothing else like them. One of the very first openly gay rock bands, they formed in 1991 right in the middle of the AIDS crisis, and almost literally laughed in the face of tragedy with their sophomoric but ultimately unifying and healing humor. Their NSFW songs — imagine, say, a gay Blink-182 —over the years have included “Bill & Ted's Homosexual Adventure,” “Touch My Joe Camel,” “The C***sucker Club,” “That’s So Gay” “Dick of Death,” “Blame the Bible,” and a riotous cover of Prince’s “Jack U Off” and Weird Al-style Nirvana spoof brilliantly titled “Smells Like Queer Spirit.”

I hate to break it to ya, but your history is wrong.

Here was the first truly openly gay band. I think only Rob was gay, but he didn't try to hide it.

I hate to break it to ya, but your history is wrong.

Here was the first truly openly gay band. I think only Rob was gay, but he didn't try to hide it.

I hate to break it to you but I didn't write the article and if you have a problem with it YOU contact the author and air your grievances.

I hate to break it to you but I didn't write the article and if you have a problem with it YOU contact the author and air your grievances.

Who else besides idiots with an IQ of 70 needs Yahoo to tell them what to think?

Yahoo is so 1990's. Tell me: Are you still using AOL on a dialup modem to access the internetz? :laughing0301:

Mott The Hoople was a Gay band from the 70s. Pretty sure the glam rock guys were at least switch hitters.

B-But, JG! That is right in the middle range of most leftwing prog's intelligence!

Hold on while Bill checks.

You still listening to that shit glass audio?
Hold on while fellatio man checks :)

“Touch My Joe Camel” sounds like a weird one.

I don't have a grievance. I detest ignorant twats who spew inaccurate crap.

Hold on while fellatio man checks

Fellatio Man-- -- -- I've heard many a pet name before, but until today, I never heard of any guy who wanted to willingly be known as 'Fellatio Man," and was proud of it to boot. I can't imagine how ashamed and disappointed you will be of yourself someday when you ever come to your senses and grow the fuck up.

Forum List

Back