Skydiving Plane Crash Lands, Killing Beach-Goer

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
This is a WTF? story.

A plane carrying four Canadian skydivers came down on a beach Sunday in southern Mexico, killing a man who was on the beach with his wife, authorities said. There was no immediate information on why the plane went down, but it appeared to have made an emergency landing and was largely intact, officials said.

However, it fell in a relatively populated section of the beach at the Pacific coast town of Puerto Escondido, and landed almost on top of the victim, whose nationality was not disclosed.

Why TF would skydivers stay on board a plane about to crash land?

The pilot should have greenlighted the jumpers, let them get out, then pointed the plane seaward, and either jumped himself or rode the aircraft to a water landing, as he judged safest.

I was a skydiver as a much younger man, and no way I would have ridden a crippled Cessna to the dirt with a chute on my back.

Is this some Canada meets Mexico dumb-fuckery story or what?

I’m sure the victim was American, US of A type. Exactly the kind of “help” we get from our North American neighbors.

This is a WTF? story.

A plane carrying four Canadian skydivers came down on a beach Sunday in southern Mexico, killing a man who was on the beach with his wife, authorities said. There was no immediate information on why the plane went down, but it appeared to have made an emergency landing and was largely intact, officials said.

However, it fell in a relatively populated section of the beach at the Pacific coast town of Puerto Escondido, and landed almost on top of the victim, whose nationality was not disclosed.

The pilot should have greenlighted the jumpers, let them get out, then pointed the plane seaward, and either jumped himself or rode the aircraft to a water landing, as he judged safest.

I was a skydiver as a much younger man, and no way I would have ridden a crippled Cessna to the dirt with a chute on my back.

I’m sure the victim was American, US of A type. Exactly the kind of “help” we get from our North American neighbors.
Wouldn't that depend on altitude?

If the engine were off and the man wasn't looking up and at the right direction, then he very easily could have been blindsided by it. You can't really hear aircraft until it is right up on you if the engine is off due the the doppler effect.

Wouldn't that depend on altitude?
Yes but only at a very low altitude does it become more dangerous to jump than to crash land. A skydive pilot’s training is to climb as quickly as possible since their role is to get to jump height and let them go.

It’s possible the pilot hoped he could recover and waited too long to decide his aircraft was crashing. If so, very poor airmanship.

If the engine were off and the man wasn't looking up and at the right direction, then he very easily could have been blindsided by it. You can't really hear aircraft until it is right up on you if the engine is off due the the doppler effect.
No doubt.

Plus who lays on the beach but remains alert in case they need to jump away from a crashing airplane? He may have been sleeping off a few margaritas.

A similar thing happened on a Florida beach a few years ago. A young man was jogging on the beach with AirPods. He didn’t hear the prop plane approaching from behind. He was torn to pieces. Yuck!

Yes but only at a very low altitude does it become more dangerous to jump than to crash land. A skydive pilot’s training is to climb as quickly as possible since their role is to get to jump height and let them go.

It’s possible the pilot hoped he could recover and waited too long to decide his aircraft was crashing. If so, very poor airmanship.

Poor airmanship.. yep. Thanks for your input.

This is a WTF? story.

To judge the mentality of the skydivers stands to reason, they're Democrats.

Forum List

Back