Skins: "The Most Dangerous Show on Television"

If anyone thinks a television show, which even 5-year olds can determine is Scripted, fake Entertainment......is Dangerous...

but thinks that over the top hateful hyperbole against REAL LIFE political opponents is alright, good and fine, then you've got yourself into a juxtaposition here.

If anyone thinks a television show, which even 5-year olds can determine is Scripted, fake Entertainment......is Dangerous...

but thinks that over the top hateful hyperbole against REAL LIFE political opponents is alright, good and fine, then you've got yourself into a juxtaposition here.

Vice versa as well, GT.

Which has been a minor point of mine all along.

Vice versa as well, GT.

Which has been a minor point of mine all along.

No, I won't agree that it's vice versa as well. You have fake entertainment, vs. propoganda against real life happenings/persons. HUGE difference, to me anyways. That's just me I guess.

. That's just me I guess.

Let's hope so :)

You don't think that there's a difference between a Fictional TV show, and people telling you that in ACTUALITY your political opposition are facists, Commies, trying to take over your Country, etc?

No, no difference to you at all? Be honest here......

. That's just me I guess.

You don't think that there's a difference between a Fictional TV show, and people telling you that in ACTUALITY your political opposition are facists, Commies, trying to take over your Country, etc?

For me, yes there is a difference. I'm 48, and have been around the block once or twice.

For a child?

Nope....none at all.

I still maintain that the correlation between those arguing the show is dangerous being parents, and those arguing the show is NOT dangerous NOT being parents, isn't merely a coincidence.

There is something in that experience that changes the perception, IMO.

For me, yes there is a difference. I'm 48, and have been around the block once or twice.

For a child?

Nope....none at all.

I still maintain that the correlation between those arguing the show is dangerous being parents, and those arguing the show is NOT dangerous NOT being parents, isn't merely a coincidence.

I'll disagree, there. Not on the last sentence, but the middle paragraph.

For a child?

Nope....none at all.

Fair enough.

Do you have an alternate explanation?

Or do you just disagree?

For a child?

Nope....none at all.

Fair enough.

Do you have an alternate explanation?

Or do you just disagree?

Yes, I do. Echo Zulu's pov is the same as mine. She has children.

I can't imagine that you'd have any reason to believe me but fwiw I *do* know what it's like to care about someone else's well-being more than my own. With that, I already know and anticipate this will be true for my future child/children. Sure, perspectives change with experience. But the one about sheltering my kid from things vs. teaching my kid about the things instead...........won't change. That's a pretty solid part of my make-up that I don't anticipate changing.

I can keep my kids from watching any program I don't approve of pretty easily.

What is more difficult is stopping them from seeing Trojan vibrator commercials aired at 9 o'clock in the morning.

I think anything with the Kardashians in it, or any show cast in Jersey is the most dangerous there is.

Fucking orange people.

Orange people are people too.

But in all seriousness, Jersey Shore is gross. But most people agree that those kids are gross. We get to see them throw up, leave dirty tampons around, and get arrested. The kids in Skins are not gross at all. They are beautiful and smart and funny. Big diff. And MTV claims this is "the most realistic show on TV". Real grownups know that's bullshit; but awkward insecure kids may not. If they think this is normal; we are going to see teens slitting their wrists because they still haven't gotten a blow job.

I think anything with the Kardashians in it, or any show cast in Jersey is the most dangerous there is.

Fucking orange people.

But in all seriousness, Jersey Shore is gross. But most people agree that those kids are gross. We get to see them throw up, leave dirty tampons around, and get arrested. The kids in Skins are not gross at all. They are beautiful and smart and funny. Big diff. And MTV claims this is "the most realistic show on TV". Real grownups know that's bullshit; but awkward insecure kids may not. If they think this is normal; we are going to see teens slitting their wrists because they still haven't gotten a blow job.

Maybe I need to try that tactic on my wife.... :eusa_think:

I can't imagine that you'd have any reason to believe me but fwiw I *do* know what it's like to care about someone else's well-being more than my own. With that, I already know and anticipate this will be true for my future child/children. Sure, perspectives change with experience. But the one about sheltering my kid from things vs. teaching my kid about the things instead...........won't change. That's a pretty solid part of my make-up that I don't anticipate changing.

EZ's position in this thread:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/3241313-post39.html

I agree with her as well, and I haven't seen her deviate from that position.

I will handle it pretty much identically with my daughter (who is 11, but much more mature than her age. I expect almost the identical reaction that EZ's daughter gave her. In fact, I'm wondering if EZ's daughter and mine aren't the same person in alternate dimensions :)

All of that as it is, I still maintain the show is dangerous and irresponsible. EZ and I are fortunate to have great kids.

Fucking orange people.

They should slit their wrists if they still haven't gotten a blow job! (kidding).

If you haven't raised your kids to tell the difference between ignorance and virtue, then I can see this show being dangerous. But that wouldn't be the show's fault.

I will handle it pretty much identically with my daughter (who is 11, but much more mature than her age. I expect almost the identical reaction that EZ's daughter gave her. In fact, I'm wondering if EZ's daughter and mine aren't the same person in alternate dimensions :)

All of that as it is, I still maintain the show is dangerous and irresponsible. EZ and I are fortunate to have great kids.

It can be dangerous to the kids of the irresponsible parents who haven't spent the time to teach them any better, is how I'd put it.

It can be dangerous to the kids of the irresponsible parents who haven't spent the time to teach them any better, is how I'd put it.

So, we agree after all.

:)

A TV show isn't going to make a teen take drugs anymore than vitriolic political rhetoric is going to make someone shoot up a shopping mall. :eusa_whistle:

So, we agree after all.

:)

Not quite. The show being irresponsible is where we part ways. To me, it's on those parent's backs who haven't taught their kids right from wrong.............not on the show's back.

The writer is trying to be entertaining for a buck, he's not really in the business of raising your kids. (not yours meaning *you* but yours, general).

Forum List

Back