Six Natural Gas Power Plants Fail in "Refurbished" Texas Power Grid

I agree it "smacks of ineptitude" but I'm not sure you can say something that occurred in six different plants at the same time is a rare occurrence.
In the country as a whole it certainly is and the ineptitude of the people in TX does not represent the the entire sector of power production using natural gas

In the country as a whole it certainly is and the ineptitude of the people in TX does not represent the the entire sector of power production using natural gas
I know. I was just tickled pink by this after the constant din that all alternative energy sources would have to be backed up by fossil fuel plants.

Have you all learned your lesson? That fossil fueled power plants are simply unreliable?
No. Solar and wind are inherently more unreliable because you can rely on their power only ever being intermittent.

I know. I was just tickled pink by this after the constant din that all alternative energy sources would have to be backed up by fossil fuel plants.
In general they do.

We have no real options for storing wind power. so when the wind doesn't blow har enough or blows too hard we need alternate power generation

In general they do.

We have no real options for storing wind power. so when the wind doesn't blow har enough or blows too hard we need alternate power generation
Batteries. Smart grids that will allow locations that have wind to power locations that don't. Other alternative sources: solar, geothermal, nuclear, hydroelectric, tidal, etc.

It goes… “Dem Chinese be buying up all our land and housings and businesses with our own damn money! Now they be burnin down our factories so they can buy more land, cheap, and force us to buy goods from dem… and they be workin with Hunter and Dementia Joe to do all of this! It’s all on the laptop!!” Burp fart chug a beer
Nah, it is us at the Secret Cabal of Hairless Albino Space Alien Chimps at area 69 in San Francisco that have this master plan of making sure power failure will happen in Texas and burning down Food Processing Plants and stopping baby formula being made…

Be patient as Pinky and I conquer the World…

Love,

Brain…

After the endless litany of posts here claiming that wind and solar power would all have to be fully backed up by fossil fuel plants, this is irony at its finest. All six plants that failed were fired by natural gas. What backed them up? Any guesses?
Every power source has a rating. When you don't maintain a capacity above the worst case power usages this will happen. Southern Companies all over the South East build new plants to maintain a reserve of power............FOSSIL FUELS TOO.......LOL

I think it was 20% reserve for peak power...............Not to mention all states should have PEAKER PLANTS........To be put into service if maintenance and usage requires it.

Anyway...........your post is garbage.............They went offline because they exceeded the maximum power ratings of the generators........OPERATIONS should have tripped some dang grids off to lower power so they didn't cause a total black out.

I operated Generators in the Navy...........we called it a load shed button when this happened.

I agree it "smacks of ineptitude" but I'm not sure you can say something that occurred in six different plants at the same time is a rare occurrence.
You don't have a dang clue.........When you are going at 99% of rating going OH SHIT..........maybe we should trip off some grids for a bit.........and one fails........The Cascading problem causes a power surge across the grid..........

You don't want a brown out which will FRY ELECTRONICS...........so the safeties kick in and trip the whole thing offline.

Batteries. Smart grids that will allow locations that have wind to power locations that don't. Other alternative sources: solar, geothermal, nuclear, hydroelectric, tidal, etc.
We do not have batteries that can power an entire state for any reasonable length of time.

IMO nuclear power is the one we should be going all in on.

It is the only 100% reliable emission free source of power that can be scaled up to meet all future power demands

We do not have batteries that can power an entire state for any reasonable length of time.

IMO nuclear power is the one we should be going all in on.

It is the only 100% reliable emission free source of power that can be scaled up to meet all future power demands
The risk is always there for a meltdown, so the tree huggers will never comply…

Thank you Captain Obvious, however, since the Earth spins on its axis, half of it is without enough sunlight to power a solar array each day.
That's funny. Over here it gets dark at night and sunny during the day. Anyone else lacking daylight each day due to the Earth spinning on its axis?

Nah, it is us at the Secret Cabal of Hairless Albino Space Alien Chimps at area 69 in San Francisco that have this master plan of making sure power failure will happen in Texas and burning down Food Processing Plants and stopping baby formula being made…

Be patient as Pinky and I conquer the World…

Love,

Brain…
Ahhh so Pelosi burned down the plants? Probably coordinated with the Chinese too, right?

After the endless litany of posts here claiming that wind and solar power would all have to be fully backed up by fossil fuel plants, this is irony at its finest. All six plants that failed were fired by natural gas. What backed them up? Any guesses?
Texas is suffering from overpopulation----illegals from the south---California nuts from the West, Lousianna crooks still from NO from the east and the ever OMG!! go away New Yorkers from the North.

Texas is suffering from overpopulation----illegals from the south---California nuts from the West, Lousianna crooks still from NO from the east and the ever OMG!! go away New Yorkers from the North.
Most of Texas is empty land… why not build some new sufficient towns and cities?

Forum List

Back