Should You Compost Your Poop?

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
Is it safe to compost human feces? We look at the science.
While many of the nutrients we eat are released in a convenient liquid form (which is why diluted urine is great for immediate use in the garden or compost pile), the residual bulk and nutrients are delivered in a somewhat more problematic form: poop. Why problematic? Well, it's heavy, bulky, and smelly, but, most importantly, in its raw form, poop is significantly more likely to contain microorganisms that can make us sick than urine is.

But this doesn't mean you should flush your poop away, adding to the waste stream. Just like any manure, when properly handled, that black gold is fantastic for soil and plants. The keys to closing your personal nutrient loop—keeping poop out of the waste stream and returning the resources to your soil—include careful handling and composting, along with lots of time.

Should You Compost Your Poop?

My understanding is that poop from meat eaters and omnivores doesn't break down well in the compost pile. Poop from birds and non meat eaters such as horses add value to the compost. It seems that meat makes mammal poop greasy and greasy isn't good for soil.

Urine is not valuable for growing things. It is used to mark your territory. LOL

• Banned
My understanding is that poop from meat eaters and omnivores doesn't break down well in the compost pile. Poop from birds and non meat eaters such as horses add value to the compost. It seems that meat makes mammal poop greasy and greasy isn't good for soil.

Urine is not valuable for growing things. It is used to mark your territory. LOL

Yes, that's quite evident around these parts. :2up:

Human And Pet Feces Has To Be Composted At High Constant Temperatures
And Not Used For At Least Two Years
It's Not Worth The Trouble To Make It Safe For Food Plots

If You Want To Scatter It Across Your Lawn, Go Ahead

As Far As The N. Koreans Are Concerned
Those People Are Desperate
Use Their Own Poop
Or Starve To Death
They Have Nothing To Lose

In our family it is customary to separate compost
1. Compost for humus, which is used for growing vegetables, fruits and flowers. We prepare it in a old metal barrel without a bottom. Grass (without weeds), sour liquid residues of food ... in other words, everything that gives fermentation without chemistry.

31443.jpg
2. Compost for leveling a piece of land, filling pits. Weeds, grass with seeds, thin branches, butts. Just put in a pit, close the grass. Then pour the urine into it ...
3. Feces, first of all, diluted in a so-called "bio-toilet", for 1 week, until there is no smell. Then bury them on the "aeration field" next to each other in 1 week. Not very deep. They are processed by nature for 1-2 years, depending on the temperature of summer. Then you can bury it again on the same piece of land. This humus we do not use, and the grass that grows on it, only in compost 2. I know that some are used for gardening, but we are squeamish.

I'm Done With The Compost Pile
It's Just Too Much Trouble, I've Never Taken Care Of It
Takes Too Long And The Cats Go In It

I'm Just Going To Dig It Straight Into The Garden
Dig A 10" Deep Trench Between Rows
Fill It From One End To The Other W/Veg Scraps & Clippings
Covering With Soil As You Go

I've Found Out That Almost All Your Trash
Except Metals And Synthetics Can Be Dug In
Including Phone Books And Shredded Cotton Clothing
It's As Good As Winter Now
So I'll Get Started In The Off Season

Human and canine feces, can be quite dangerous if not fully composted.

The carry pathogens and parasites

My Research Says
That Type Of Compost
Has To Be A Constant Temp Of 160 Degrees For At Least Two Years
Vegetarian Animal Poo Doesn't Require The High Temp
But Should Be Composted For At Least A Year
Vegetation, Paper, Anything But Metal And Synthetics
Can Be Dug Straight In Year Round
^ ^ ^ I'll Try That ^ ^ ^
I Have The Worst Clay Soil I've Ever Seen Anyway

My Research Says
That Type Of Compost
Has To Be A Constant Temp Of 160 Degrees For At Least Two Years
Vegetarian Animal Poo Doesn't Require The High Temp
But Should Be Composted For At Least A Year
Vegetation, Paper, Anything But Metal And Synthetics
Can Be Dug Straight In Year Round
^ ^ ^ I'll Try That ^ ^ ^
I Have The Worst Clay Soil I've Ever Seen Anyway

Clay soil is good for the roses.

I kinda doubt the validity of the link as no farmer considers it a good idea and neither does any gardener.

plus pee kills grass

I've been reading that the North Koreans have to use their own excrement as manure, as they are too poor and deprived to be able to buy it.
When the N. Koreans flee to S. Korea and China, doctors find most have tape worms. Cause? Human feces fertilizer.
Very disturbing.

Forum List

Back