Should the Quicksilver Messenger Service be in the Rock n Roll HOF?.

Isn't the Grateful Dead already in there? All those unwashed hippie 60's bands sound the same to me 60 years later.

They got so much radio play and in bars as well.
I'm sure they were however I didn't listen to a lot of radio back then and wasn't old enough to get into bars until the early 70s. At least not bars in the US.........

I'm so glad the days where you had to buy a whole shitty album just to get one good song are gone.

I'm sure they were however I didn't listen to a lot of radio back then and wasn't old enough to get into bars until the early 70s. At least not bars in the US.........

You didn't miss much. I was there in the mid-60's and was right in the middle of it. Quit high school, got on a bus, and went to Haight-Ashbury in SF. Most of those West-coast bands sounded the same, and QMS was no exception. They were exercises in artistic masturbation, the Grateful Dead being the worst of the bunch.

They'd get so fucking high on LSD and pot that that they thought they were mushrooms playing a guitar, bass, keyboard, or drums. Guitar players were the most egocentric out of the rest, they'd drone on for hours with their crappily high-strung and maladjusted guitars that used a fucking 0.013 string for the high E string, so rusty that you'd get tetanus from running your fingers over it.

The only difference between any of those bands, was that one or two would have a chick singer. Like Janis Joplin and her band Big Brother and the Holding Company. She is way over-rated, as far as I'm concerned. If anything, she had the most singular distinction of being able to horribly abuse her voice, as well as her body. She was a drunk slut, a lush, and a sex object, nothing more. The best thing she ever did for her career, as well and several others back then, were to choke on their own vomit and die. Otherwise, few if any of them would even be remembered today.

Most of those artists who are admired today, are not really heroes nor are they what we think that are. They were leftists. They were insurrectionists, insurgents, anarchists, social outcasts, incels, trust fund hippies, red diaper doper babies, and attention whores. They smelled like a sickening mixture of vomit, sweat, urine, pot, incense, spoiled mild, and bad sex. In this day and age, hey would have been out there rioting, committing arson, looting, and spray-painting obscenities on a wall. Which is what much of their music is: An artistic obscenity.

And the worst part of it was, that we had to endure the same thing over in the late 80's and 90's, with the resurgence of the Grunge era. Thank God Kurt Cobain had the generosity and presence of mind to suck on the business end of a shotgun and put an end to that nonsense.

Last edited:
I got to see all the bands of the 60's for free as I rode with the HA's. Janis was kool as hell as I smoked dope with her and Chocolate George at a house on Page st. One block off Haight. Saw some real good artists. I have all the albums.

You didn't miss much. I was there in the mid-60's and was right in the middle of it. Quit high school, got on a bus, and went to Haight-Ashbury in SF. Most of those West-coast bands sounded the same, and QMS was no exception. They were exercises in artistic masturbation, the Grateful Dead being the worst of the bunch.

They'd get so fucking high on LSD and pot that that they thought they were mushrooms playing a guitar, bass, keyboard, or drums. Guitar players were the most egocentric out of the rest, they'd drone on for hours with their crappily high-strung and maladjusted guitars that used a fucking 0.013 string for the high E string, so rusty that you'd get tetanus from running your fingers over it.

The only difference between any of those bands, was that one or two would have a chick singer. Like Janis Joplin and her band Big Brother and the Holding Company. She is way over-rated, as far as I'm concerned. If anything, she had the most singular distinction of being able to horribly abuse her voice, as well as her body. She was a drunk slut, a lush, and a sex object, nothing more. The best thing she ever did for her career, as well and several others back then, were to choke on their own vomit and die. Otherwise, few if any of them would even be remembered today.

Most of those artists who are admired today, are not really heroes nor are they what we think that are. They were leftists. They were insurrectionists, insurgents, anarchists, social outcasts, incels, trust fund hippies, red diaper doper babies, and attention whores. They smelled like a sickening mixture of vomit, sweat, urine, pot, incense, spoiled mild, and bad sex. In this day and age, hey would have been out there rioting, committing arson, looting, and spray-painting obscenities on a wall. Which is what much of their music is: An artistic obscenity.

And the worst part of it was, that we had to endure the same thing over in the late 80's and 90's, with the resurgence of the Grunge era. Thank God Kurt Cobain had the generosity and presence of mind to suck on the business end of a shotgun and put an end to that nonsense.
i take that as a no?....

Forum List

Back