Should Sperm Donors be Listed on Birth Certificates?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
I know it is not necessary to list a "father" on a birth certificate, but doesn't a child have a right to know who has contributed half of its DNA? This could be life-saving health information for someone who may have inherited problematic genetic tendencies. Is there some other way to access this information?

They are all the owners of the sperm clinic's kids t would seem based on recent new stories....

I know it is not necessary to list a "father" on a birth certificate, but doesn't a child have a right to know who has contributed half of its DNA? This could be life-saving health information for someone who may have inherited problematic genetic tendencies. Is there some other way to access this information?
Start child support at con-ception.

The short answer is "yes". If a young broad doesn't know who her daddy is, they might well end up fucking and bearing children with their brother, uncle or even their dad.

Can't libs agree that this is immoral?

The issue is anonymous sperm donors who donate sperm to a fertility clinic. Even though the identity is unknown, I do believe that medical histories are provided.

That begs another question; if a woman gives birth to a baby that was created with a donor egg, should the donor's name be on the BC?

I think not. Anonymous sperm donors typically help women or couples conceive when they otherwise could not. While most are probably paid for their service, they are doing something kind for others regardless if that is part of their motivation or not, and the legal guardians are aware that they will be fully and solely responsible for the child.

In the unfortunate occurrence where the parent(s) died after birth, the anonymous donor should still not be required to divulge identity or take responsibility for the minor child.

In this case, the child is the result of a legal contract, and not the result of loving or lustful relations, and some protection should be provided for the anonymous donors, if society deems their service to be a desired one, in order to encourage this desirable behavior, which seems to be the case.

Regards,
Jim

I think not. Anonymous sperm donors typically help women or couples conceive when they otherwise could not. While most are probably paid for their service, they are doing something kind for others regardless if that is part of their motivation or not, and the legal guardians are aware that they will be fully and solely responsible for the child.

In the unfortunate occurrence where the parent(s) died after birth, the anonymous donor should still not be required to divulge identity or take responsibility for the minor child.

In this case, the child is the result of a legal contract, and not the result of loving or lustful relations, and some protection should be provided for the anonymous donors, if society deems their service to be a desired one, in order to encourage this desirable behavior, which seems to be the case.

Regards,
Jim

So, to sum it up, you think its cool for men not to man-up and accept responsibility for their children?

If someone wants to be a sperm donor, fine. But if a child results, they need to be a father and provide child support payments. That's part of the deal- or should be.

So, to sum it up, you think its cool for men not to man-up and accept responsibility for their children?

If someone wants to be a sperm donor, fine. But if a child results, they need to be a father and provide child support payments. That's part of the deal- or should be.

No, sir, not generally at all. But in the case of an anonymous donor who goes into a cup in a certified medical facility, for a needy couple, yes, I do.

Some men cannot procreate. They might not be able to have children without anonymous donors. A donor is unlikely to donate for a $200 payment (or whatever, I have no idea) if they might get stuck with the lifetime of debt.

Regards,
Jim

But doesn't the child have some right to know about its genetic history?
I don't think so. That's not really a right. I suppose it could be helpful to know, but lots of people don't know their genetic history - adopted kids are probably a good example.

Yes, imo the father should be on the birth certificate just because of consanguinity laws, but I'm not genned up on that area.

Yes, imo the father should be on the birth certificate just because of consanguinity laws, but I'm not genned up on that area.
That's an interesting point.

There is a solution for that - DNA tests. Anyone can get one.

cc: jwoodie .... It applies to your point about right to know genetic history as well.

That's an interesting point.

There is a solution for that - DNA tests. Anyone can get one.

cc: jwoodie .... It applies to your point about right to know genetic history as well.
Many years ago, there was a case where a man and woman got married and a few years later, found out they were brother and sister. I think as each one had been born, they had been adopted by different families for whatever reason. But I don't know about the in's and out's of their birth certificates in that case. But when I read this link, I just thought that those in the future run the risk of meeting a blood relative and marrying, breeding etc.. and despite having a birth certificate, not knowing if they had the same father. I think you can marry a cousin, but I don't know about step siblings. It's just that we've never had these bizarre problems in our family history.

Some might think it's ok to have this unknown person's sperm flying about, but it certainly can open a can of worms. Or do they put something like, "Father - Sperm donor Mr. 77536" on the certificate. Then people can check some kind of ID first?

I think you will find most kids do believe it is necessary if possible to have their father on the birth certificate though that is not the situation with a sperm donor.... and you are of course right that a kid born of a sperm donor may well do well to know of physical problems. Of course the cat is now out of the bag with all the ancestry DNA sites and people finding their brothers and sisters. No one expected it to turn out like this and of course just like a parent who did not want a relationship with a child at some point this could change. As much as possible their parents should be given information about diseases and so on. I am guessing people will think twice about doing this now they know they may suddenly get twenty 'children' wanting to meet them. The donor donated his sperm that is all and that is all he owes, though many of those he made would be delighted to meet him. The organisation that arranged it should keep up with genetic illnesses and let those conceived or their parents know. That was pretty much the deal they made but now they do need to know that it is not impossible those 20 children as adults may come knocking on their doors.

That’s ridiculous. A woman who *chooses* to conceive via an anonymous sperm donor from a clinic is doing so with full knowledge that the donor is free from any responsibility for any children that may result. All the guy did was masturbate into a cup for money.

As for the “the child may need the genetic information for health reasons” angle, fine, he can petition the clinic for the pertinent information *without* finding out the name of the donor. It should *not* be printed on birth certificate. The mother and/or child do not have the right to know the donor’s identity unless the donor wants them to.

That’s ridiculous. A woman who *chooses* to conceive via an anonymous sperm donor from a clinic is doing so with full knowledge that the donor is free from any responsibility for any children that may result. All the guy did was masturbate into a cup for money.

This is about the Child's Rights- not those of either parent.

Mom has no right to excuse the baby's-daddy from his obligations to his own child. She certainly doesn't have that right when a baby is conceived in the normative way- I can't see where this should be an exception at all. After all, no one CHOOSES how they are conceived.

Should the taxpayers pick up the tab and pay welfare and medicaid benefits, because of this signed agreement?

A sperm donor isn’t a baby-daddy.

A baby-daddy is a sperm donor by definition.

Let me explain biology for you briefly. Everyone has a mom and a dad. The mom donates the egg, and the dad donates the sperm.

Where the two are united during natural intercourse or by artificial means is irrelevant. The relationship is still there.

A baby-daddy is a sperm donor by definition.

Let me explain biology for you briefly. Everyone has a mom and a dad. The mom donates the egg, and the dad donates the sperm.

Where the two are united during natural intercourse or by artificial means is irrelevant. The relationship is still there.
The entire point of clinical sperm donation is that neither the donor nor the mother want the donor to be the father.

Forum List

Back