Should small amounts of wine consumption be acceptable in the workplace on religion grounds...

Does the Bible command it? Or advise it? Or suggest it? Is it religious instruction, specifically?

Is it as firm and unequivocal as the Biblical commandment not to issue same sex marriage licenses?

lol

"Do not drink water from now on, but drink a little wine because of your stomach and because of your chronic illness." 1 Tim. 5:23, Aramaic Bible in Plain English translation

-

Medicinal alcohol, right or wrong, has been a longstanding medical practice hardly exclusive to the Christian faith.

What kind of work place and what religion DEMANDS alcohol containing wine?

It's true that some may behave irresponsibly, but the Bible does command it for "infirmities"....

So you've directly contradicted the first line in your own OP.

Well done.
shoot-foot.gif

where does the bible COMMAND it?------Solomon says it cheers a bereaved heart---
I know of no command like an 11th commandment THOU SHALT DRINKETH
WINE

Workers in Europe routinely have a beer or wine with lunch, to no ill effect. having the amount of wine usually drunk as part of a sacrament has no effect at all.

I have found that small amounts help my thinking (perhaps it helps "mental infirmities")...

-

Does the Bible command it? Or advise it? Or suggest it? Is it religious instruction, specifically?

Is it as firm and unequivocal as the Biblical commandment not to issue same sex marriage licenses?

lol

"Do not drink water from now on, but drink a little wine because of your stomach and because of your chronic illness." 1 Tim. 5:23, Aramaic Bible in Plain English translation

-
Right, a recommendation to one pastor who was having digestive problems. When you consider the poor quality of drinking water many had available to them at that time, it's not surprising that wine, having many disease carrying organisms killed by the alcohol in wine, was considered a tonic. It's still not a universal command given to all believers everywhere.

Someone once told me that 'wine' in the Bible could be translated as grape juice, IOW, non-alcoholic. That person may have been nuts, of course.

Right, a recommendation to one pastor who was having digestive problems. When you consider the poor quality of drinking water many had available to them at that time, it's not surprising that wine, having many disease carrying organisms killed by the alcohol in wine, was considered a tonic. It's still not a universal command given to all believers everywhere.

"All scripture is good...," says the Bible...

-

That is true and good to know, so the whiny cry-baby kentucky religious zealot has plenty of time away from work to practice her hatred of others.
eddy-murphy-ok-gif.gif

No, because there is plenty of time outside of work to consume the small amount of wine considered therapeutic. There literally is no need to consume wine while at work.

Someone once told me that 'wine' in the Bible could be translated as grape juice, IOW, non-alcoholic. That person may have been nuts, of course.

When I worked on the Vendange in France, early on the viticulteur (farmer growing grapes for wine) took us on a tour of his facility. It was all in country French (Languedoc) so I had a hard time keeping up with what he was saying but he handed out cups for us to drink, of what was not finished Beaujolais, but something that tasted like an ultrasweet grape juice. Some part of the process.

All I know is by the time we walked out of that building we were absolutely smashed. It was all we could do to stagger back to our quarters.

"All scripture is good...," says the Bible...

-
And it IS good to drink some wine. But the Bible does NOT command that believers insist they have to drink it on the job.

where does the bible COMMAND it?------Solomon says it cheers a bereaved heart---
WINE

Lol, for you: "Do not drink water from now on, but drink a little wine because of your stomach and because of your chronic illness." 1 Tim. 5:23, Aramaic Bible in Plain English translation

-

That person was ill-informed and likely trying to find justification for insisting on an alcohol free lifestyle. There is no question that the wine referred to in the Bible was alcoholic, because of the prohibitions against drunkenness.

WINE

Lol, for you: "Do not drink water from now on, but drink a little wine because of your stomach and because of your chronic illness." 1 Tim. 5:23, Aramaic Bible in Plain English translation

-
You do know that First and Second Timothy are letters written from an Apostle to a pastor, encouraging him and giving him guidelines for his congregation, correct?

I studied that but have lost trust in my source of information...

-

Rabbinic opinion--------in some cases even milk is ok for the ceremony thing---- sorta-----but it is possible that the prayer changes. I don't know. The basic
prayer describes the drink as "fruit of the vine" but the word "wine" does also
pop up. No specific "proof" is noted

And it IS good to drink some wine. But the Bible does NOT command that believers insist they have to drink it on the job.

A plain command for treatment of "chronic illness"...

-

That person was ill-informed and likely trying to find justification for insisting on an alcohol free lifestyle. There is no question that the wine referred to in the Bible was alcoholic, because of the prohibitions against drunkenness.

I think it was Jehovah's witness.

WINE

-
You do know that First and Second Timothy are letters written from an Apostle to a pastor, encouraging him and giving him guidelines for his congregation, correct?

would that opinion be considered a "DIVINE COMMAND"??

Forum List

Back