Should Roger Maris be in the Baseball Hall of Fame ?

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
The internet is full of articles pertaining to the glaring omission of Roger Maris from the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame. Many baseball fans think Maris should be in the hall, and should have been there years ago.

It's mind boggling that the guy who still holds the very prestigious record of most home runs in a single (162 game) season, is not in the hall. Quite an accomplishment to have stood for 53 years, with just a handful of players hitting 50 something HRs in a season, over that long span, and no one reaching 60, but Maris.

In addition, Maris was the American League MVP 2 years in a row in a league that included such hall of famers as Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams, and Harmon Killebrew. He also hit 275 home runs in only 12 seasons, and had a better home run % (1 HR in every 18.5 at bats) than quite a few hitters, some of whom had over 500 career home runs, and all of whom are in the Baseball Hall of Fame >> (Reggie Jackson, Ernie Banks, Eddie Mathews, Mel Ott, Eddie Murray, Stan Musial, Dave Winfield, and Carl Yastremski).

It might also be noted that besides his home run power, Maris was an exceptionally good right fielder. His Yankee Stadium predesessor in right field, Hank Bauer once said "Roger wasn't a good right fielder. He was a great right fielder." Older Yankee fans may still remember the pinpoint accurate throw Maris made to home plate - a game-saving play in the bottom of the ninth inning of Game 7 of the 1962 World Series, against the San Francisco Giants. With the Yankees leading 1-0 and Matty Alou on first, Willie Mays doubled toward the right-field line. Maris cut off the ball and made a strong throw to prevent Alou from scoring the tying run; the play set up Willie McCovey's series-ending line drive to second baseman Bobby Richardson.

Maris was also a 7 time all star, and a Gold Glove winner, and attained the honors of top right fielder in fielding average in a season, in both the American and National leagues (1960, 1964, 1967).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/24/Maris_Kennedy.gif/235px-Maris_Kennedy.gif

Last edited:
No He had one great year, three good years altogether, was a fine player, but HoF caliber.

No He had one great year, three good years altogether, was a fine player, but HoF caliber.

So you don't call being American League MVP a "great year" ? Well I do. Forgot he had TWO of those ? Neglecting to note Maris' better home run average than Reggie Jackson, Ernie Banks, Eddie Mathews, Mel Ott, Eddie Murray, Stan Musial, Dave Winfield, and Carl Yastremski ? And were they as good a fielder as Maris ? So you're saying THEY should not be in the hall of fame ? (if you're saying Maris shouldn't be)

PS - the higher home run average (one HR in 18.5 at bats) Maris compiled was over the course of 12 YEARS (not one).

Last edited:
Yes. Definitely. I can't believe he isn't in there already. Those that would deny him are fucking idiots and assholes that just hate the Yankees. I also hate the Yankees but Maris should be in there just for his Home Run Record alone. I saw Maris play..he was an amazing hitter.

There must be more to the story and why he is being shunned for the HOF. I heard he was racist. So what? A lot of HOFers were rascist. Big Whoop! How many walks did he have after his big HR season. I remember that pitchers were afraid to pitch to him. That put a dent in his productivity.

AND since when is the HOF only reserved for players that played for a very long time? THAT's bullshit.

Last edited:
275 HR, 850 RBI, .260 BA

3 Good seasons

Not HOF

Last edited:
The OP refuted that thoroughly. Maybe you can't read ?

No it didnt

Maris lacked career numbers and his dominance only lasted a few years. Great player for 5 years. Not HOF

When Maris hurt his shoulder and wrist, he lost his power. Still a fine player but not HoF caliber at all.

Mattingly was a greater Yankee and not in the HOF.

Marris had a record season, other than that, his numbers were average

Yes. Definitely. I can't believe he isn't in there already. Those that would deny him are fucking idiots and assholes that just hate the Yankees. I also hate the Yankees but Maris should be in there just for his Home Run Record alone. I saw Maris play..he was an amazing hitter.

There must be more to the story and why he is being shunned for the HOF. I heard he was racist. So what? A lot of HOFers were rascist. Big Whoop! How many walks did he have after his big HR season. I remember that pitchers were afraid to pitch to him. That put a dent in his productivity.

AND since when is the HOF only reserved for players that played for a very long time? THAT's bullshit.

I think 12 years IS a very long time. At least to be in the major leagues. A lot of players don't make it for 1/4 that amount of time, and they sure don't come close to doing what Maris did.

No it didnt

Maris lacked career numbers and his dominance only lasted a few years. Great player for 5 years. Not HOF

When Maris hurt his shoulder and wrist, he lost his power. Still a fine player but not HoF caliber at all.

Maris is notd for home runs, as were other players (who ARE in the HOF) What you seem to be missing is that if Maris' numbers were average, than the HR numbers of Stan Musial, Carl Yastremski, Mel Ott, Reggie Jackson, Ernie Banks, Eddie Mathews, Eddie Murray, and Dave Winfield were even LESS than average, because theirs were less than Maris.

So are you saying they shouldn't be in the HOF ? If not, then you're contradicting yourself.

No one here under rates Maris.

FALSE! YOU do. >> ("He had one great year, three good years altogether") So your saying all those years that Maris was racking up a higher HR% than Reggie Jackson, Mel Ott, Ernie Banks, and Carl Yastremski, weren't "good". Than neither were those of those HOF players, right ?

I hope you're not going to try to say that Reggie Jackson was a better rightfielder in Yankee Stadium than Maris. LOL.

Last edited:
No it didnt

Mattingly was a fine player, but he doesn't come up to the level of Roger Maris. Somewhat of an apples and oranges comparison in the field because they played different positions, Mattingly might get the edge, having won 9 Golden Glove awards, but GG has a lot to do with how stiff the competition for each might have been. Also, noted is that first base is an easier position to play than right field. Less throwing and less leg work. Hard to pick anyone over Maris when it comes to fielding. He was a truly great outfielder.

Offensively, considering 9 categories, averaged out (to eliminate the at bats difference - 7003 for Mattingly, 5101 for Maris), Maris comes out on top in 6 of them. Mattingly tops Maris in only 2 (total bases was even), and one of those (batting average) is diminished because of Maris' respectable .345 on base%, almost as good as Mattingly at .358. This is due to Maris' much better walk % (in fact Maris, drew more walks (652) than Mattingly (588), despite having only 72% as many at bats as Mattingly.

By average, Mattingly topped Maris in >>

1. Doubles

2. Batting Average

By average, Maris topped Mattingly in >>

1. Runs scored

2. Triples

3. Home runs

4. RBIs

5. Slugging %

6. Walks

Also, Maris won 2 MVP awards (Mattingly won 1), despite playing less seasons than Mattingly.

Lastly, would you call the "numbers" of Maris' career home run % "average" ?, ...when it was better than Reggie Jackson, Mel Ott, Ernie Banks, Eddie Mathews, and Eddie Murray, (all of whom are in the HOF, and all of whom had more than 500 career home runs).

Last edited:

Maris is notd for home runs, as were other players (who ARE in the HOF) What you seem to be missing is that if Maris' numbers were average, than the HR numbers of Stan Musial, Carl Yastremski, Mel Ott, Reggie Jackson, Ernie Banks, Eddie Mathews, Eddie Murray, and Dave Winfield were even LESS than average, because theirs were less than Maris.

So are you saying they shouldn't be in the HOF ? If not, then you're contradicting yourself.

Those you named had outstanding careers. Maris did not. He had 60,61 and 62.
Looking at his stats, there are very few years he played a complete season. 120 games was a typical Maris year.
Maris is not even close to HOF

Forum List

Back