CDZ Should prisoners be released from jail and prison over the Chinese virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mayor Deblasio in New York is going to start releasing prisoners from New York Jails....they claim it will be less dangerous criminals...but keep in mind, many criminals have illegal gun charges plea bargained down in order to get a successful prosecution.....so they are far from "non-violent."

Um, yeah, we already lock up too many people.

If Covid-19 gets into a prison, we are going to be screwed.

No...those criminals will be screwed....but we can isolate them in their already isolated prison cells.........rather than let them out to attack normal citizens....

I wonder, do you feel the same way about those who are imprisoned awaiting trial? What about those who did not do a plea deal?

Also, I find it strange that someone so adamantly for gun rights would describe someone having a gun illegally as automatically violent.

We are not talking about normal gun owners...we are talking about repeat offenders.....caught with illegal guns over and over again.....constantly having their illegal gun charges plea bargained away.....then getting released, getting another gun, illegally, and shooting other criminals...

Normal people are not sitting in jail waiting trial for illegal gun charges.....criminals with long histories are sitting in jail waiting for trial.....

You're moving the bar pretty quickly here, and doing it without any evidence that I see. You said that many criminals have illegal gun charges plea bargained down. Now you say repeat offenders, and further go on to say repeat offenders caught with illegal guns over and over, constantly having those charges plea bargained away. Just how many people in prison do you think have been caught with illegal guns over and over, had charges for those guns plea bargained away, then went and illegally obtained more guns and shot people with them?

I didn't say anything about people sitting in jail waiting for trial for illegal gun charges. You once again moved the bar. I want to know if you feel that all people awaiting trial should just be "screwed" if this virus gets into the jail they are in. That seems to be your position based on the OP.

The people in jail awaiting Trial should stay in jail and await Trial..........

Mayor Deblasio in New York is going to start releasing prisoners from New York Jails....they claim it will be less dangerous criminals...but keep in mind, many criminals have illegal gun charges plea bargained down in order to get a successful prosecution.....so they are far from "non-violent."

Why?

No...those criminals will be screwed....but we can isolate them in their already isolated prison cells.........rather than let them out to attack normal citizens....

I wonder, do you feel the same way about those who are imprisoned awaiting trial? What about those who did not do a plea deal?

Also, I find it strange that someone so adamantly for gun rights would describe someone having a gun illegally as automatically violent.

We are not talking about normal gun owners...we are talking about repeat offenders.....caught with illegal guns over and over again.....constantly having their illegal gun charges plea bargained away.....then getting released, getting another gun, illegally, and shooting other criminals...

Normal people are not sitting in jail waiting trial for illegal gun charges.....criminals with long histories are sitting in jail waiting for trial.....

You're moving the bar pretty quickly here, and doing it without any evidence that I see. You said that many criminals have illegal gun charges plea bargained down. Now you say repeat offenders, and further go on to say repeat offenders caught with illegal guns over and over, constantly having those charges plea bargained away. Just how many people in prison do you think have been caught with illegal guns over and over, had charges for those guns plea bargained away, then went and illegally obtained more guns and shot people with them?

I didn't say anything about people sitting in jail waiting for trial for illegal gun charges. You once again moved the bar. I want to know if you feel that all people awaiting trial should just be "screwed" if this virus gets into the jail they are in. That seems to be your position based on the OP.

And on the federal level....

Obama Releases Prisoners Guilty of Gun Crimes | National Review

President Barack Obama commuted the sentences of 214 federal prisoners yesterday, part of his ongoing crusade against a criminal-justice system he regularly declares racist and draconian. The White House trumpeted the fact that this was the largest one-day grant of clemency since 1900. Some of the prisoners will be released now; others will have to stay in prison a while longer for more drug rehabilitation.

The vast majority of prisoners exemplify the so-called nonviolent-drug-offender category, a primary focus of “criminal-justice reform” advocates. But a search of the commutation database comes up with 156 hits for “firearms” (some of those hits are multiple counts for the same offender).
------

Many of the commuttees possessed stolen firearms or firearms with their serial numbers obliterated. Some were in violation of National Firearms Registration, which can mean possession of a federally prohibited weapon, such as a machine gun, silencer, or sawed-off shotgun. We don’t know how many guns the offenders actually had; a commuttee during a previous batch of commutations had 40.

Yes, but the question is regarding your seeming indifference to the possibility of people in jail, who are forced into close contact, contracting the COVID-19 virus. I am curious if your indifference extends to those awaiting trial, who have not been convicted of any crime, as you seem to be content with the idea of convicted criminals becoming infected.

For that matter, what is your position on the guards/workers in the prisons, who are also forced into close contact by the nature of the facilities?

President Barack Obama commuted the sentences of 214 federal prisoners yesterday, part of his ongoing crusade against a criminal-justice system he regularly declares racist and draconian. The White House trumpeted the fact that this was the largest one-day grant of clemency since 1900. Some of the prisoners will be released now; others will have to stay in prison a while longer for more drug rehabilitation.

The vast majority of prisoners exemplify the so-called nonviolent-drug-offender category, a primary focus of “criminal-justice reform” advocates. But a search of the commutation database comes up with 156 hits for “firearms” (some of those hits are multiple counts for the same offender).
------

Many of the commuttees possessed stolen firearms or firearms with their serial numbers obliterated. Some were in violation of National Firearms Registration, which can mean possession of a federally prohibited weapon, such as a machine gun, silencer, or sawed-off shotgun. We don’t know how many guns the offenders actually had; a commuttee during a previous batch of commutations had 40.

While I appreciate the various links, they don't seem to give any information about why the many gun charges were dismissed, nor show what percentage of prisoners fit into your description of repeat offenders caught with guns over and over having charges plea bargained away.

Yes, but the question is regarding your seeming indifference to the possibility of people in jail, who are forced into close contact, contracting the COVID-19 virus. I am curious if your indifference extends to those awaiting trial, who have not been convicted of any crime, as you seem to be content with the idea of convicted criminals becoming infected.

For that matter, what is your position on the guards/workers in the prisons, who are also forced into close contact by the nature of the facilities?

I just posted it.....if you are awaiting Trial, you stay in jail....if you are in prison, you stay in prison...

They are not there for parking fines...they are dangerous to normal people......and keeping them in cells isolates them as effectively as you can isolate people......

Why on earth would we release criminals into these communities when the police are being told to stand down?

------

While I appreciate the various links, they don't seem to give any information about why the many gun charges were dismissed, nor show what percentage of prisoners fit into your description of repeat offenders caught with guns over and over having charges plea bargained away.

They show my point.......as well as a point can be made in an internet debate........and I have a long list of articles showing the policies in democrat party controlled voting districts that allow repeat gun offenders out of jail and prison over and over again.....I will post that too if you want to see it...but it is very long...

I just posted it.....if you are awaiting Trial, you stay in jail....if you are in prison, you stay in prison...

They are not there for parking fines...they are dangerous to normal people......and keeping them in cells isolates them as effectively as you can isolate people......

Why on earth would we release criminals into these communities when the police are being told to stand down?

I'm not advocating for release, I just thought your early statements presented an attitude of 'screw prisoners, if they die, so what?' I'm trying to determine if that applies to anyone in jail/prison, or only certain types of convicted criminals, or what.

This is a serious act of malfeasance on Mr. DeBlasio's part. It makes him an accessory to every crime thereafter committed by every criminal that he releases. He ought to be held personally accountable, as such.

Sometimes that is several months.

NYC Mayor to start emptying jails over virus spread

Even as major crimes aside from murder and rape have been on the rise in New York City, the jail population is about to go down. Probably by a lot. Citing concerns over the spread of the coronavirus, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced this week that the city would begin releasing people from jail early in a number of different categories. Because when you’ve got a major epidemic disrupting life in your town, what better time to have a bunch more criminals roaming the streets, right? (NY Post)
--------

Prisoners serving terms of less than one year will also (mostly) be released. That’s going to include a lot of street-level drug dealers, as well as those accused of assault or property crimes like retail theft, burglary, and similar offenses. But don’t worry. I’m sure that people who were willing to violate all of those types of laws will absolutely listen to the Governor’s shelter in place orders and not go around breaking into people’s apartments.

Maybe it’s just my faulty memory, but I thought all of the major jails and prisons in the region had medical facilities right on the premises. Wouldn’t you think that a facility full of jail cells would be pretty well set up for isolating sick people? Particularly when some of those cells are specifically labeled as “isolation?” It just seems as if you’re running more of a risk of spreading the disease by dumping them back out on the streets instead of keeping them where you know where they are and who they are coming in contact with.
To answer your question in your thread title, F*CK NO! Especially those in for violent crimes.

Exactly. Nicely worded!

Even as major crimes aside from murder and rape have been on the rise in New York City, the jail population is about to go down. Probably by a lot. Citing concerns over the spread of the coronavirus, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced this week that the city would begin releasing people from jail early in a number of different categories. Because when you’ve got a major epidemic disrupting life in your town, what better time to have a bunch more criminals roaming the streets, right? (NY Post)
--------

Prisoners serving terms of less than one year will also (mostly) be released. That’s going to include a lot of street-level drug dealers, as well as those accused of assault or property crimes like retail theft, burglary, and similar offenses. But don’t worry. I’m sure that people who were willing to violate all of those types of laws will absolutely listen to the Governor’s shelter in place orders and not go around breaking into people’s apartments.

Maybe it’s just my faulty memory, but I thought all of the major jails and prisons in the region had medical facilities right on the premises. Wouldn’t you think that a facility full of jail cells would be pretty well set up for isolating sick people? Particularly when some of those cells are specifically labeled as “isolation?” It just seems as if you’re running more of a risk of spreading the disease by dumping them back out on the streets instead of keeping them where you know where they are and who they are coming in contact with.
It’s not a Chinese virus you pathetic pos

I am so bored of you morons. You’re dangerous and stupid. Go live in Russia
Well, little Jillian, the virus WAS manufactured by CHINESE scientists IN CHINESE labs as a biological weapon, and it accidentally? escaped into the general public, causing the first known cases IN CHINA. So "Chinese Virus" is a VERY appropriate name. I call it the "Wu Flu", because the two words rhyme AND because the virus first showed up in the Wuhan area of CHINA. Thank you.

--------

Bad bad bad idea.

Uh, guy, most gun violence is by people who've never been in trouble with the law.

Wrong.....you have been shown this information over and over again....

The Criminology of Firearms

In 2004, the National Academy of Sciences reviewed 253 journal articles, 99 books, 43 government publications and some empirical research of its own about guns. The Academy could not identify any gun restriction that had reduced violent crime, suicide or gun accidents.

Why don't gun bans work? Because they rely on voluntary compliance by gun-using criminals. Prohibitionists never see this absurdity because they deceive themselves into thinking that, as Katherine Christoffel has said: "[M]ost shootings are not committed by felons or mentally ill people, but are acts of passion that are committed using a handgun that is owned for home protection."

Christoffel, et al., are utterly wrong. The whole corpus of criminological research dating back to the 1890'sshows murderers "almost uniformly have a long history of involvement in criminal behavior," and that "[v]irtually all" murderers and other gun criminals have prior felony records — generally long ones.

While only 15 percent of Americans have criminal records, roughly 90 percent of adult murderers have prior adult records — exclusive of their often extensive juvenile records — with crime careers of six or more adult years including four major felonies. Gerald D. Robin, writing for the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences,notes that, unlike ordinary gun owners, "the average murderer turns out to be no less hardened a criminal than the average robber or burglar."
When I saw that prisoners were going to be released, I thought of New York or California. How did I know? What's happening to this world?

Gun murder in the U.S. 2019.....

Mass public shootings in 2019.....

Total killed....73

So no, mass public shooters did not commit the most gun violence in the country.

Gun violence is perpetrated by criminals with long criminal histories, going back to their teen years.......where they are constantly released over and over again even with multiple arrests for illegal guns and gun crime.
What makes sense is that if the law has changed about the penalty or legality of what the person is in prison for, let him go. If someone is in jail for marijuana, and the laws in that state have changed and it is now legal let all of those prisoners go free. That's it. Weinstein has to stay. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back