Should a 16+ week fetus be anesthetized before abortion?

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
Would you support a law requiring a fetus to be anesthetized prior to abortion if it were possibly developed far enough to feel pain?

• Banned
Would you support a law requiring a fetus to be anesthetized prior to abortion if it were possibly developed far enough to feel pain?

No abortion should be outlawed at that stage

Since that's not likely to happen I would support a law requiring anesthesia.

The more the right tries to stop abortion, the less power the right will have to stop or pass anything. The left is too effective at bashing the right on things like abortion, using that to win office, and then claiming to have a mandate for everything else they want to do.

So I would support a law requiring anesthesia for fetuses which are 16 weeks along or further.

It would save the fetus some pain and might make some people think twice about having the abortion because of the recognition that the fetus is more than just a clump of unfeeling cells.

I'd expect some on the left to fight against such legislation because they would see it as humanizing the fetus in a way they reject.

I would not support such a law. Medical decisions should be left to the competency of a doctor to render advice to the patient. The government should not be involved.

I vote that if you don't want a baby you use one of the MANY forms of birth control we have. That seems like a much better option.

I would not support such a law. Medical decisions should be left to the competency of a doctor to render advice to the patient. The government should not be involved.

Funny, in the future your medical decisions will be made by government officials, looking to cut costs.

But you welcome that.

Congrats.

The more the right tries to stop abortion, the less power the right will have to stop or pass anything. The left is too effective at bashing the right on things like abortion, using that to win office, and then claiming to have a mandate for everything else they want to do.

So I would support a law requiring anesthesia for fetuses which are 16 weeks along or further.

It would save the fetus some pain and might make some people think twice about having the abortion because of the recognition that the fetus is more than just a clump of unfeeling cells.

I'd expect some on the left to fight against such legislation because they would see it as humanizing the fetus in a way they reject.
Support for abortion is at a all time low. I don't really see how anesthetizing something that the pro-abortionist consider a clump of cells would ever happen. If they would go for to that, then they've lost the argument totally.

Support for abortion is at a all time low. I don't really see how anesthetizing something that the pro-abortionist consider a clump of cells would ever happen. If they would go for to that, then they've lost the argument totally.

An all-time low?

lol

I don't trust the ethics of abortion mill doctors.

One job of the government is to defend those who cannot protect themselves. The government can charge someone with two counts of homicide/manslaughter for killing a pregnant woman and her fetus. Do you support removing that from the law?

The government can't stop the woman from killing the fetus herself but it can institute regulations to help ease the suffering the defenseless fetus.

An all-time low?

lol

gallup-abortion-2012.jpg

If there is medical evidence that the fetus feels pain, how do they argue against anesthetizing it?

And think how bad they would look trying.

If there is medical evidence that the fetus feels pain, how do they argue against anesthetizing it?

And think how bad they would look trying.

They'd deny it, unless there is overwhelming evidence

Should a 16+ week fetus be anesthetized before abortion?

Identical question:

Should a 40-year-old adult be anesthetized before euthanasia?

Well, not quite identical. The adult can legally consent before the procedure is started.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vox
Are fetuses ever anesthetized first?

My nephew was born severely prematurely -- either 22 weeks or just barely 23 weeks. He was viable, though barely. He was no mere fetus. He was a child. And now he is an active 8-year-old.

But he could legally have been aborted in most states. When doctors abort such an advanced stage fetus do they tend to use anesthesia?

Even though babies can survive at 20 weeks, or maybe sooner, liberals still don't have any respect for the fetus until it's born and breathing on it's own. Many liberals support late term abortions, where the baby is killed halfway through the delivery. They won't admit that the fetus is even human, so I don't see them agreeing to protect it from the pain of being killed. That concern is reserved for convicted murders and rapists.

Are fetuses ever anesthetized first?

My nephew was born severely prematurely -- either 22 weeks or just barely 23 weeks. He was viable, though barely. He was no mere fetus. He was a child. And now he is an active 8-year-old.

But he could legally have been aborted in most states. When doctors abort such an advanced stage fetus do they tend to use anesthesia?

A friend of mine had a baby born ten days premature. He could legally have been aborted too. He was so tiny. The doctor told the parents they could leave it there and the hospital would take care of the remains.

The boy is now a chubby and very healthy 7 month old.

Funny, in the future your medical decisions will be made by government officials, looking to cut costs.

But you welcome that.

Congrats.

If you're talking about Obamacare, you're an idiot and don't know what you're talking about. If I had my way, that damn monstrosity would have never even been thought about, much less passed.

Forum List

Back