Shotgun to Black Powder Adapter

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
I'm kinda getting into the black powder thing since I picked up the replica 1960 Army, and I had seen Ol' Dave Canterbury's videos on converting a single shot shotgun into a black powder shotgun.

When I went to look for the videos, I found this:

[youtube]txedePKtMu4[/youtube]​

I ordered one for 12 gauge and one for 20 Gauge, and they came today.

IMAG0732_zps4ee0bcf6.jpg

IMAG0731_zpsdbc1f26d.jpg

IMAG0730_zps739f2efb.jpg

IMAG0733_zpsb89a7b4a.jpg

IMAG0734_zps1e0b7c6b.jpg

Looking forward to testing it out.

What do ya think?

Last edited:
Been working on this for awhile now...but just couldn't get the muzzle velocity I needed to configure an operational black powder fowler...until now.

Long tom.jpg

Found this beautiful pre '68 Stevens model 940E single shot 12 gauge with a 36 inch barrel (pictured with a standard H&R Pardner single shot 12 gauge with a 28 inch barrel).

It's a challenge to get a slug down a barrel and prime it and fire a rifle and it's doubly hard to pour powder and shot into a shotgun that is not intended for muzzle loading and ram it home with a stick. Muzzle loader rifles and shotguns are cheap enough..Why not get a modern gun made for black powder?

It's a challenge to get a slug down a barrel and prime it and fire a rifle and it's doubly hard to pour powder and shot into a shotgun that is not intended for muzzle loading and ram it home with a stick. Muzzle loader rifles and shotguns are cheap enough..Why not get a modern gun made for black powder?

I have muzzle loading rifles and pistols...the shotguns I found were pretty expensive. They are much more difficult to find than other BP firearms. The Pedersolis are very expensive. The Knight TK2000 is pretty high dollar too, and hard to locate.

I already had a few H&R Pardners. The Model 940E was only $100 and the adapter was like twenty bucks. The older H&R Huntsman 50 cal had push in breech plugs, and this isn't that different from that system.

Have any suggestions for affordable BP shotguns?

In his youth, the red-headed evil stepson was an interpreter at a state historic site. He became good friends with one of the site managers and talked him into loaning out an original flint-lock long rifle. The kind that had a powder pan. We had fun loading and shooting that thing. It must have been 150 years old.

Converting BP guns to smokeless is illegal and probably not a good idea but I can understand the motivation to want to shoot cartridge ammo. I don't understand the point of converting a smokeless shotgun to BP. Maybe it's fun to see that blast of smoke. Preppers might think that they can make BP if the doo doo hits the fan and it's true but you still have to buy the percussion caps.

Converting BP guns to smokeless is illegal and probably not a good idea but I can understand the motivation to want to shoot cartridge ammo. I don't understand the point of converting a smokeless shotgun to BP. Maybe it's fun to see that blast of smoke. Preppers might think that they can make BP if the doo doo hits the fan and it's true but you still have to buy the percussion caps.

This one and my BP rifle use 209 primers.

1000 for $31...Winchester Primers #209 Shotshell

Let me get this straight. You hand load black powder and shot and a shotgun primer in a shotgun intended for a shotgun cartridge for fun. It might be hard to find modern percussion shotguns but I've seen reasonable priced original percussion shotguns all over the place and there are no restrictions in their purchase even on the internet.

What are you saying is illegal? They sell conversion cylinders for cap and ball revolvers. Nothing illegal about it.

Let me get this straight. You hand load black powder and shot and a shotgun primer in a shotgun intended for a shotgun cartridge for fun. It might be hard to find modern percussion shotguns but I've seen reasonable priced original percussion shotguns all over the place and there are no restrictions in their purchase even on the internet.

I see them...but I'm not sure I trust them. Most of them are laminated steel (sometimes call Damascus steel) or wire twist barrels...not exactly the benchmark for strength and longevity.

I may be missing the point but why not just load shot shells with black instead of smokeless powder?

I may be missing the point but why not just load shot shells with black instead of smokeless powder?

The black powder melts the plastic shotshell. I did consider some Magtech fully brass shotshells (Magtech Shotshell Hulls 12 Ga 2-1/2 Brass Box of 25) but the 209 primer just slides into this adapter like a percussion cap on a nipple. Easy in...easy out.

There is also a black powder reloadable shell available.

To me though...it just seems easier to load the shotgun like a muzzle loading rifle with the adapter working like a breach plug.

I'm kinda getting into the black powder thing since I picked up the replica 1960 Army, and I had seen Ol' Dave Canterbury's videos on converting a single shot shotgun into a black powder shotgun.

IMAG0732_zps4ee0bcf6.jpg

IMAG0731_zpsdbc1f26d.jpg

IMAG0730_zps739f2efb.jpg

IMAG0733_zpsb89a7b4a.jpg

IMAG0734_zps1e0b7c6b.jpg

What do ya think?
I think it would be stupid to ruin it.

IMAG0732_zps4ee0bcf6.jpg

IMAG0731_zpsdbc1f26d.jpg

IMAG0730_zps739f2efb.jpg

IMAG0733_zpsb89a7b4a.jpg

IMAG0734_zps1e0b7c6b.jpg

What do ya think?

Ruin what? The gun? Oh...it won't ruin it as long as you clean it well after shooting black powder or equivalent thru it. The powder is corrosive only if you leave it in or on the gun.

There are many black powder firearms that have survived a century...some centuries.

IMAG0732_zps4ee0bcf6.jpg

IMAG0731_zpsdbc1f26d.jpg

IMAG0730_zps739f2efb.jpg

IMAG0733_zpsb89a7b4a.jpg

IMAG0734_zps1e0b7c6b.jpg

What do ya think?

Ruin what? The gun? Oh...it won't ruin it as long as you clean it well after shooting black powder or equivalent thru it. The powder is corrosive only if you leave it in or on the gun.

There are many black powder firearms that have survived a century...some centuries.
Survived?

IMAG0732_zps4ee0bcf6.jpg

IMAG0731_zpsdbc1f26d.jpg

IMAG0730_zps739f2efb.jpg

IMAG0733_zpsb89a7b4a.jpg

IMAG0734_zps1e0b7c6b.jpg

What do ya think?

Survived?

Yes. NRA Museums: NRA National Sporting Arms Museum

IMAG0732_zps4ee0bcf6.jpg

IMAG0731_zpsdbc1f26d.jpg

IMAG0730_zps739f2efb.jpg

IMAG0733_zpsb89a7b4a.jpg

IMAG0734_zps1e0b7c6b.jpg

What do ya think?

Survived?

Yes. NRA Museums: NRA National Sporting Arms Museum
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a2/51/70/a25170271c38a6251ea20a8039b2a1ca.jpg

I'm sorry, but I am missing your point. Original black powder firearms lasted for as long as someone took care of them and the rifling lasted...just like modern firearms. Steel technology was not nearly as advanced as today...black powder firearms were made of milder steel, and the rifling was shot out after a time. That's why the most prolific surviving examples are muskets, blunderbuss and shotguns.

Like I said in a prior post...there are literally thousands of damascus steel, laminated steel and wire twist double barrels floating around for sale...but the process used to produce them didn't lend itself to longevity and strength. It had very little to do with the black powder propellant...and even them, only when not properly maintained.

Forum List

Back