Shoot to kill or just injure?

Just saw american sniper. Why didn't he shoot the gun out of the kids hand? Or shoot near before the kid picked it up?
You're dealing with split second decisions that occur in a combat zone. Do you know that even shooting a weapon out of someones hand is difficult even for the best? You seem to think Hollywood is reality when in fact it's far from it.
I'm considered very good with a handgun, I shoot an average of 260 out of 300 which means there are days I'm shooting really good and days I'm shooting terrible, there are even days where I'm shoot both very good and very bad in the same day. Everyone is like that.
The idea in war is to neutralize any threat as fast as possible, In almost every case it means killing the opponent, that's true in any life and death struggle.

Just saw american sniper. Why didn't he shoot the gun out of the kids hand? Or shoot near before the kid picked it up?

Neither of those options would have removed the threat. It might have temporarily lowered it, but in the long run it would have increased it.

and you NEVER leave your home, right? I've been attacked, or nearly attacked, several times, and only once was it in my home. Statistically, you are 4x more likelly to be attacked when not at home, guys. Even at home, you don't carry a shotgun from room to room, nor answer the door with it If you did, the neighbors, mail man, etc, would notice and you'd get locked- up as being the nut that you WOULD be. Most of the time, you never even have to fire, and misses have changed a lot of minds, too. I've been attacked, or nearly attacked, by dogs even more often than by men. It's many times more likely, even in your home, that you won't get to a longarm (in time) than the case of the pocket pistol not being "enough gun".

I used always keep an 870 shorty by the door during the day and I stopped a home invasion with it.
Since I moved to a gated community I no longer do that but I will go to the door with the .45 in a kidney carry if someone knocks and I'm not expecting visitors.

and you NEVER leave your home, right? I've been attacked, or nearly attacked, several times, and only once was it in my home. Statistically, you are 4x more likelly to be attacked when not at home, guys. Even at home, you don't carry a shotgun from room to room, nor answer the door with it If you did, the neighbors, mail man, etc, would notice and you'd get locked- up as being the nut that you WOULD be. Most of the time, you never even have to fire, and misses have changed a lot of minds, too. I've been attacked, or nearly attacked, by dogs even more often than by men. It's many times more likely, even in your home, that you won't get to a longarm (in time) than the case of the pocket pistol not being "enough gun".

I used always keep an 870 shorty by the door during the day and I stopped a home invasion with it.
Since I moved to a gated community I no longer do that but I will go to the door with the .45 in a kidney carry if someone knocks and I'm not expecting visitors.
I need to do that. Why wait till you know its a threat. Be prepared.

A .22 long is nothing to sneeze at, especially with some of the special rounds that are out there.

better take a set of earmuffs with you to fire that shotgun indoors. TRY it sometime, man, especialy at night, so you get the fkull effect of the flash, too. You'd better not miss the vitals and you'd better not have more than one enemy, or you'd better have ear protection. some outfit makes a sort of springy headband, letting you hang your earplugs around your neck, installing the plugs quickly whenever you wish.

better take a set of earmuffs with you to fire that shotgun indoors. TRY it sometime, man, especialy at night, so you get the fkull effect of the flash, too. You'd better not miss the vitals and you'd better not have more than one enemy, or you'd better have ear protection. some outfit makes a sort of springy headband, letting you hang your earplugs around your neck, installing the plugs quickly whenever you wish.

I'd be willing to bet that any buddies the intruder had with him would be running away after hearing the 12 gauge go off.

Yeah, it is LOUD in an enclosed space. But it stops whatever you hit and doesn't over-penetrate walls.

thing is, guys, you cant/wont carry 2 longarms, especially not with a pack and when you have the 06, all you see is small stuff, and when you see the deer, it's at 100+ yds and all you have is he shotgun. the silenced .22 handgun is fine for foraging, but it aint much for people and it aint really handy for concealment around the house. The 223 shorty, auto, with good softpoints, will reliably take deer to 150 yds and the .22lr conversion unit handles small game just fine. because of the suppressor, both the 223 and the 22 are greatly enhanced. This method leaves you free to carry the pocket 9mm ,around the house or in the street, and you've got a powerful handy carbine for the house, for deer, for riots, etc. No, it won't take elk at 200 + yds but neither do you NEED to do that. You can brain them at 100 yds. and how often do you shoot an elk at longer range than 100 yds? once per yeaar. big deal. I aint doing without my figthing rifle, suppressor, concealment, luminous sights, threaded barrel, rust resistant finish, GI rd, mags, parts, etc, just to be able to (legally) take an elk or moose per year.

the .22 handgun practice won't make you faster at hitting with the 308 or the shotgun. practice with the AR15 and .22lr unit WILL make you faster at hitting with the suppressed 223 AR15, and saving 30c per shot, in that manner, swiftly pays for the set up.

thing is, guys, you cant/wont carry 2 longarms, especially not with a pack and when you have the 06, all you see is small stuff, and when you see the deer, it's at 100+ yds and all you have is he shotgun. the silenced .22 handgun is fine for foraging, but it aint much for people and it aint really handy for concealment around the house. The 223 shorty, auto, with good softpoints, will reliably take deer to 150 yds and the .22lr conversion unit handles small game just fine. because of the suppressor, both the 223 and the 22 are greatly enhanced. This method leaves you free to carry the pocket 9mm ,around the house or in the street, and you've got a powerful handy carbine for the house, for deer, for riots, etc. No, it won't take elk at 200 + yds but

I haven't carried 2 long guns in almost 50 years of shooting and hunting. But it doesn't mean I don't have very good uses for more than one long gun.

Hunting deer with a .223 isn't legal in many places. And I prefer a quicker, more humane kill than that 55 grain round will do (all too often).

A powerful, and handy carbine could also be a big game rifle if you pick a good lever action.

the .22 handgun practice won't make you faster at hitting with the 308 or the shotgun. practice with the AR15 and .22lr unit WILL make you faster at hitting with the suppressed 223 AR15, and saving 30c per shot, in that manner, swiftly pays for the set up.

Practicing with a .22 rifle will make you better with any rifle (with the possible exception of some very long range setups).

And suppressors mainly work well with subsonic ammo. I am looking for faster, not slower, ammunition. The faster the bullet is moving the more accurate it tends to be, all things being equal.

I am a huge fan of the .308. It is accurate and hard hitting, even at decently long ranges.

yes, i have $1500 in my longarms and as much more in my 3 handguns, but I got 12k of school loans, used it to get an Asian nurse here, and now I get 20k per year (untaxed) from her. 10k per year of that is loans that she need never repay, so she's getting a GREAT deal. shes clearing 35k per year. in her home country, she mad 2k per year. and no, you can't live there on 2k per year (as "well" as a BUM in the street lives in the US) BS, lots of "non gun" people have no IDEA what racking a shotgun sounds like. and quite a few know that it means that you are dumb enough to have one rd less in your magazine.

Forum List

Back