Share Your BBQ Secrets With Me....

WillMunny

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2016
I have my own recipe for grilling babyback ribs. I just did a bunch of them and several people who ate them loudly raved yesterday, so here is how I roll:

A.) After cutting up the rack of fresh ribs, I soak them overnight in a marinade-stew of my own creation. Made of BBQ sauce (I prefer the honey/molasses type), lots of that bright red paprika spice that has an interesting flavor-reaction with pork, some black pepper, sugar and a couple of those little airline-bottles of tequila. Because I think that the tiny, microscopic hint of tequila aftertaste somehow makes the BBQ sauce taste more complex. Or maybe it's my imagination, who truly gives a fuck? I soak my ribs for so many hours that their individual cells get bloated with all this extra moisture and flavor combo.

B.) I grill them over a fire that's 50% wood, 50% charcoal briquettes, so there are frequent flames licking around the whole time. It gives it sort of a rustic, old-fashioned tang. A 100% wood fire makes the meat taste too smoky and dirty so the 50/50 is the perfect balance. It's still a bit "woody" but keeps the smoke to a minimum. I BBQ my ribs over my little self-made Hell for around 5 minutes a side and they come out perfect, with a little hint of juicy pinkness inside. Goddammit, I'm making myself really hungry now, ARRRRRRRGGGH!

I've been barbecuing on my concrete driveway every summer for enough decades now that if you are under the age of 30 and reading this, I can safely say I've been BBQing various different meats since you were in elementary school jacking off before lunch recess (or maybe after). I have a lot of fun with these fiery BBQs, it allows me to play the wild "mad scientist" of dinner.

I disagree.

Low and slow in the smoker. 10 hours.

Falls off the bone.

I've heard about these smokers a lot but I don't have personal experience with them. All my years of meat grilling has been done the conventional, old-fashioned way. I wouldn't mind trying one of these meat smokers one of these days and see how it goes.

I disagree.

Falls off the bone.

Yep, low and slow, marinate the rib 24-36 hours in coke or dr. Pepper before smoking on indirect heat/smoke at about 225 degrees. Use your rub of choice 3-4 hours before putting on the grill. 30 minutes before you pull the ribs off, slather with BBQ. HAVE TOOTHPICKS READY TO DISTRIBUTE AFTER DINNER.

I disagree.

Falls off the bone.

Yep, low and slow, marinate the rib 24-36 hours in coke or dr. Pepper before smoking on indirect heat/smoke at about 225 degrees. Use your rub of choice 3-4 hours before putting on the grill. 30 minutes before you pull the ribs off, slather with BBQ. HAVE TOOTHPICKS READY TO DISTRIBUTE AFTER DINNER.
I use that idea for sauce. 1 two liter bottle of Dr Pepper, 1 pound of brown sugar and one pound of butter. The cook at the Cafe next door tried it and now they use it.

I disagree.

Falls off the bone.

I like my ribs dry. Other than that last step, we're on the same page.

They’re called secrets for a reason. Do I look like Hillary to you?

I disagree.

Falls off the bone.

I use that idea for sauce. 1 two liter bottle of Dr Pepper, 1 pound of brown sugar and one pound of butter. The cook at the Cafe next door tried it and now they use it.

:lol:

And then the whole bus clapped.

I disagree.

Falls off the bone.

:lol:

And then the whole bus clapped.
They serve tour buses and unlike YOU they get PAID!

I disagree.

Falls off the bone.

I've heard about these smokers a lot but I don't have personal experience with them. All my years of meat grilling has been done the conventional, old-fashioned way. I wouldn't mind trying one of these meat smokers one of these days and see how it goes.

I'll swear by the Little Green Egg.

I have my own recipe for grilling babyback ribs. I just did a bunch of them and several people who ate them loudly raved yesterday, so here is how I roll:

A.) After cutting up the rack of fresh ribs, I soak them overnight in a marinade-stew of my own creation. Made of BBQ sauce (I prefer the honey/molasses type), lots of that bright red paprika spice that has an interesting flavor-reaction with pork, some black pepper, sugar and a couple of those little airline-bottles of tequila. Because I think that the tiny, microscopic hint of tequila aftertaste somehow makes the BBQ sauce taste more complex. Or maybe it's my imagination, who truly gives a fuck? I soak my ribs for so many hours that their individual cells get bloated with all this extra moisture and flavor combo.

B.) I grill them over a fire that's 50% wood, 50% charcoal briquettes, so there are frequent flames licking around the whole time. It gives it sort of a rustic, old-fashioned tang. A 100% wood fire makes the meat taste too smoky and dirty so the 50/50 is the perfect balance. It's still a bit "woody" but keeps the smoke to a minimum. I BBQ my ribs over my little self-made Hell for around 5 minutes a side and they come out perfect, with a little hint of juicy pinkness inside. Goddammit, I'm making myself really hungry now, ARRRRRRRGGGH!

I've been barbecuing on my concrete driveway every summer for enough decades now that if you are under the age of 30 and reading this, I can safely say I've been BBQing various different meats since you were in elementary school jacking off before lunch recess (or maybe after). I have a lot of fun with these fiery BBQs, it allows me to play the wild "mad scientist" of dinner.
Throw a live cat in a microwave

you know

on a lil pot .....put fresh herbs like parsley and coriander also salt and pepper and vinegar....and olive oil.....

you can use some parsley twigs to put the concoction on the chicken or fish or veggies ....

totally yummy!

I'm hungry.

I love BBQ's (sans red meat)

BBQ chicken with salsa verde my darlings ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (coriander and parsley sauce ohhhh)

I disagree.

Falls off the bone.

Look into a Green Egg. My son bought one for us and we've done everything from whole fish to fowl and ribs to brisket and steaks. Using lump charcoal the egg heats up to 700 degrees, we can cook a 2" T- Bone to medium rare in 10 minutes. Sear the Steak three minutes per side, then close the lid and the vents for he remaining time, remove from the egg and tent with foil for 5 minutes and eat.

Forum List

Back