Share Your BBQ Secrets With Me....

I disagree.

Low and slow in the smoker. 10 hours.

Falls off the bone.

I've heard about these smokers a lot but I don't have personal experience with them. All my years of meat grilling has been done the conventional, old-fashioned way. I wouldn't mind trying one of these meat smokers one of these days and see how it goes.

Once you've done smoked ribs, you won't go back to the grill. Save the grilling for steaks, chicken, fish & burgers. Ain't nothing finer than baby backs from the smoker. Unless it's smoked salmon.

I disagree.

Falls off the bone.

Yep, low and slow, marinate the rib 24-36 hours in coke or dr. Pepper before smoking on indirect heat/smoke at about 225 degrees. Use your rub of choice 3-4 hours before putting on the grill. 30 minutes before you pull the ribs off, slather with BBQ. HAVE TOOTHPICKS READY TO DISTRIBUTE AFTER DINNER.
I use that idea for sauce. 1 two liter bottle of Dr Pepper, 1 pound of brown sugar and one pound of butter. The cook at the Cafe next door tried it and now they use it.

Dr. Pepper? That's a new one on me. I haven't used butter in my marinate yet but I imagine it helps give it all the more juicy moisture. I do use white sugar in my marindate, but with the molasses in the BBQ sauce I use, I figured using brown sugar wasn't really that necessary. But I'll try some brown sugar next time, just to see how it goes.

I disagree.

Falls off the bone.

I've heard about these smokers a lot but I don't have personal experience with them. All my years of meat grilling has been done the conventional, old-fashioned way. I wouldn't mind trying one of these meat smokers one of these days and see how it goes.

Look into a Green Egg. My son bought one for us and we've done everything from whole fish to fowl and ribs to brisket and steaks. Using lump charcoal the egg heats up to 700 degrees, we can cook a 2" T- Bone to medium rare in 10 minutes. Sear the Steak three minutes per side, then close the lid and the vents for he remaining time, remove from the egg and tent with foil for 5 minutes and eat.

Sounds interesting and yummy, but I have a naive, innocent question: what exactly is a green egg?

...Green Eggs of any size.

Now I'm feeling honestly ignorant; last time I heard about a "green egg" was in the Dr. Suess book Green Eggs and Ham as a little kid. But even in the pictures it didn't look half-bad, actually, lol.

I disagree.

Falls off the bone.

Once you've done smoked ribs, you won't go back to the grill. Save the grilling for steaks, chicken, fish & burgers. Ain't nothing finer than baby backs from the smoker. Unless it's smoked salmon.

You have my curiosity going, sir. Now I really want to try out a smoker on ribs and see what kind of food-mad-scientist dinner I can come up with.

I have my own recipe for grilling babyback ribs. I just did a bunch of them and several people who ate them loudly raved yesterday, so here is how I roll:

A.) After cutting up the rack of fresh ribs, I soak them overnight in a marinade-stew of my own creation. Made of BBQ sauce (I prefer the honey/molasses type), lots of that bright red paprika spice that has an interesting flavor-reaction with pork, some black pepper, sugar and a couple of those little airline-bottles of tequila. Because I think that the tiny, microscopic hint of tequila aftertaste somehow makes the BBQ sauce taste more complex. Or maybe it's my imagination, who truly gives a fuck? I soak my ribs for so many hours that their individual cells get bloated with all this extra moisture and flavor combo.

B.) I grill them over a fire that's 50% wood, 50% charcoal briquettes, so there are frequent flames licking around the whole time. It gives it sort of a rustic, old-fashioned tang. A 100% wood fire makes the meat taste too smoky and dirty so the 50/50 is the perfect balance. It's still a bit "woody" but keeps the smoke to a minimum. I BBQ my ribs over my little self-made Hell for around 5 minutes a side and they come out perfect, with a little hint of juicy pinkness inside. Goddammit, I'm making myself really hungry now, ARRRRRRRGGGH!

I've been barbecuing on my concrete driveway every summer for enough decades now that if you are under the age of 30 and reading this, I can safely say I've been BBQing various different meats since you were in elementary school jacking off before lunch recess (or maybe after). I have a lot of fun with these fiery BBQs, it allows me to play the wild "mad scientist" of dinner.

You just opened up a serious can of worms.....
What you're doing is not BBQing it's grilling.
The average rack of baby backs should smoke for three to four hours when BBQ'ed.
You can go faster but that starts to move you into grilling with wood.

I have my own recipe for grilling babyback ribs. I just did a bunch of them and several people who ate them loudly raved yesterday, so here is how I roll:

A.) After cutting up the rack of fresh ribs, I soak them overnight in a marinade-stew of my own creation. Made of BBQ sauce (I prefer the honey/molasses type), lots of that bright red paprika spice that has an interesting flavor-reaction with pork, some black pepper, sugar and a couple of those little airline-bottles of tequila. Because I think that the tiny, microscopic hint of tequila aftertaste somehow makes the BBQ sauce taste more complex. Or maybe it's my imagination, who truly gives a fuck? I soak my ribs for so many hours that their individual cells get bloated with all this extra moisture and flavor combo.

B.) I grill them over a fire that's 50% wood, 50% charcoal briquettes, so there are frequent flames licking around the whole time. It gives it sort of a rustic, old-fashioned tang. A 100% wood fire makes the meat taste too smoky and dirty so the 50/50 is the perfect balance. It's still a bit "woody" but keeps the smoke to a minimum. I BBQ my ribs over my little self-made Hell for around 5 minutes a side and they come out perfect, with a little hint of juicy pinkness inside. Goddammit, I'm making myself really hungry now, ARRRRRRRGGGH!

I've been barbecuing on my concrete driveway every summer for enough decades now that if you are under the age of 30 and reading this, I can safely say I've been BBQing various different meats since you were in elementary school jacking off before lunch recess (or maybe after). I have a lot of fun with these fiery BBQs, it allows me to play the wild "mad scientist" of dinner.
I always thought that BBQ is low heat, long cook times.

Five minutes on a side is grilling, not BBQ.

Recipe sounds fantastic though.

Now I'm feeling honestly ignorant; last time I heard about a "green egg" was in the Dr. Suess book Green Eggs and Ham as a little kid. But even in the pictures it didn't look half-bad, actually, lol.

It's the brand name of a line of charcoal grills/smokers.

They're a bit pricey, but they can cook anything. You can keep a a brisket at 250 for 15 hours, or get it hot enough to broil a steak at 800 degress.

You can even cook pizza in it.

On the fiery wood barbecue I build, a few minutes is all that's necessary to cook it brownish-red and slightly cripsy on the outside, but keep it a little bit pink and very juicy in the inside. On a wood fire grill, directly exposed to the flames, if you cook ribs any longer than that you semi-cremate them and they're not even edible.

Damn, this thread is making me hungry again. As usual.

On the fiery wood barbecue I build, a few minutes is all that's necessary to cook it brownish-red and slightly cripsy on the outside, but keep it a little bit pink and very juicy in the inside. On a wood fire grill, directly exposed to the flames, if you cook ribs any longer than that you semi-cremate them and they're not even edible.
Yep, but BBQ is cooking using indirect heat at low temps 220 to 250 for hours and hours. Melts off the bone and right into your midsection. lol

They're a bit pricey, but they can cook anything. You can keep a a brisket at 250 for 15 hours, or get it hot enough to broil a steak at 800 degress.

Oh okay, I get it....*blushing*...I thought the term "green egg" referred to an actual type of egg, lol! Don't I feel very silly. Go ahead and laugh.

I disagree.

Falls off the bone.

There are two options these days.
A well built stick burner which requires a lot of attention,which I'm not going to do but rarely anymore.
And the electronic pellet poopers which makes it easy to do a twenty hour smoke on a brisket but lack the true taste of BBQ.
But I will say....it turns out a kickass brisket,chicken,flank steak and everything else flawlessly.

The Holy Grail in pellet poopers......
P1000689.JPG

It really depends on what you're looking for....good BBQ fast or great BBQ over the long haul?

I'll say this......
I would have loved to have the pellet pooper back in the day just for a research tool.
I learned more about the effects of temp control in the last year in a half than I have in the last five years.

It certainly sounds versatile. Sort of a mechanical cooking chameleon, I assume?

Forum List

Back