Sen. Klobuchar says English should not be US national language

If you moved to Russia and expected everybody to speak English to accommodate you, you would rightly be scorned.

But if someone comes here (probably illegally) speaking only Spanish, Leftists think we have an obligation to accommodate them.

What's wrong with this picture?

I think it does

the chances for miscommunication are endless when a spanish speaker is involved

the command was

“Wait to detonate the explosive till when the convoy passes“

But Sgt Jones he dont savvy spanish lingo so good and he tells her

“Espere a detonar el explosivo hasta cuando pase el convoy”

and Americans die

This just in, people can be multi-lingual.
Unless they are spanish and struggle a bit with English as you just admitted she was

she should have remained a private till she became fluent in English or was transferred the EO branch

Lol...

No. She was just more comfortable with Spanish. As were some of her fellow soldiers.
More comfortable with spanish and too lazy to learn English
Whatever dumbass
Since I walked all over you on this exchange I guess you can be allowed a personal insult for your consolation prize

Meh, English is the language of the world. Go into a business meeting where the people are Brazilian, Japanese, Russian and Chinese. Everyone speaks English during the meeting.
Sometimes better English than welfare moms in the barrio

This just in, people can be multi-lingual.
Unless they are spanish and struggle a bit with English as you just admitted she was

she should have remained a private till she became fluent in English or was transferred the EO branch

Lol...

No. She was just more comfortable with Spanish. As were some of her fellow soldiers.
Whatever dumbass
Since I walked all over you on this exchange I guess you can be allowed a personal insult for your consolation prize

Whatever dumbass. That you cannot fathom someone being multilingual means you were out of your depth from the beginning. You’re right though....calling you a dumbass is an insult to other dumbasses. You’re much more insipid

If you moved to Russia and expected everybody to speak English to accommodate you, you would rightly be scorned.

But if someone comes here (probably illegally) speaking only Spanish, Leftists think we have an obligation to accommodate them.

What’s wrong with your picture? You want to model our society after Russia.

Lol...

Whatever dumbass

Whatever dumbass. That you cannot fathom someone being multilingual means you were out of your depth from the beginning. You’re right though....calling you a dumbass is an insult to other dumbasses. You’re much more insipid
Hey no one is bitching about being multilingual which has nothing to do with the official language of the United States.
Official government business should only be conducted in English. End of story

\
Come on Candy
Answer his question

Lol...

Whatever dumbass

Hey no one is bitching about being multilingual which has nothing to do with the official language of the United States.
Official government business should only be conducted in English. End of story

That’s a stupid position. End of story

\
Come on Candy
Answer his question

I did

\
Come on Candy
Answer his question

I did
No you did not

\
Come on Candy
Answer his question

I did
No you did not

You should read the thread. He is wanting to model our society on Russia in his deranged example

Klobuchar just announced she doesn't want to be President
Sen. Amy Klobuchar has reversed her position on English being the official language of the U.S. The Minnesota Democrat and Democratic presidential hopeful announced that she now holds a “strong position against” the English-language amendment which she voted in favor of back in 2007. (Tweet) “I think that when you look at a state like this state, and a country like ours that is so diverse, you don’t want to have that provision in law because then it would be very difficult to have, say, government documents and other things translated into other languages,” she said at a campaign event in Las Vegas on Friday, according to The Associated Press.

Lucianne.com News Forum - Sen. Klobuchar says English should not<br>be US national language; reverses<br>2007 stand
Klobuchar just announced she doesn't want to be President
Sen. Amy Klobuchar has reversed her position on English being the official language of the U.S. The Minnesota Democrat and Democratic presidential hopeful announced that she now holds a “strong position against” the English-language amendment which she voted in favor of back in 2007. (Tweet) “I think that when you look at a state like this state, and a country like ours that is so diverse, you don’t want to have that provision in law because then it would be very difficult to have, say, government documents and other things translated into other languages,” she said at a campaign event in Las Vegas on Friday, according to The Associated Press.

Lucianne.com News Forum - Sen. Klobuchar says English should not<br>be US national language; reverses<br>2007 stand
If you were say, Brazilian and traveled to many countries and didn't speak their languages and they can't speak yours, they actually fall back on English, as it is the international language of business. If you move to France or Quebec, French is "mandatory." If you were to move to any Islamic nation, no matter what local language they may have going, Arabic is....mandatory. If you go to China to live, you have to learn to speak Chinese. It's a matter of maintaining a degree of consistency for communication purposes, but if you go to these nations, you will find that if you don't understand them, they will go to English.
This nation with its diversity, still needs to be able to converse easily with one another, as well as read contracts and fill out forms and as the business of America is business and much of the world does its business in English, it's illogical to dump a language and just have everybody wing it when it comes to education and business.
Now, if the purpose is to further divide a nation and render it linguistically less able to communicate with each other, then that would further separate areas, eventually tearing this apart in favor of regions of semi-autonomous peoples with differing dialects.
Bottom line is that there needs to be consistency in our educational system (not Marxist-Leninist consistency by the way) and business dealings. One language helps to ensure unity and commonality.

I am all for English being the official language of the US and the sole language for all government offices.

A constitutional amendment about it is rather silly and a waste of time.

I don't know if a constitutional amendment is needed, but indeed you are right.

Foreign speakers really don't always understand what's going on politically in America, because the our political dialogue is conducted in English, the lingua franca of Americana. And translations really don't always work. If someone tunes into the Maha Rushdie, and Mr. Limbaugh is talking about feminazis, or the New Castrati, there really isn't a good translation of these terms in English. The New Castrati aren't really dick-less, its just an expression, you have to know English to know what it implies.

People who can't understand our nation's political arguments really don't have basis to vote at all.

I am all for English being the official language of the US and the sole language for all government offices.

A constitutional amendment about it is rather silly and a waste of time.
Agreed

A common language is one of the things that unites us

We've never had an official language, and we have remained united. We don't need an official language, and we will never have one. Nevertheless, English is and will remain the dominant language of this country.

Following independence there was an unsuccessful move to make German the official language of the United States

think of how history might have changed of that happened

That's an old wives tale.

Following independence there was an unsuccessful move to make German the official language of the United States

think of how history might have changed of that happened

That's an old wives tale.
I did not claim English was hang by a thread or any such thing

but making german the official language was seriously considered and rejected

Forum List

Back